Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: KW Windshield....what do you know??  (Read 1730 times)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
KW Windshield....what do you know??
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »

I just ordered the 10.5 for my Ultra, I have been looking for reviews on this specific brand Klock Works (kw).

Is there any hope for this windshield working for me?? I understand it's all personal preferences ..........what is wrong or right with the KW?????

I have looked for Topics on Windshields, but can't find the KW, they tended to drift off to other windshields.

Thanks
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: KW Windshield....what do you know??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »

8) 8) 8)

I rode the 10.5" KW for about a while and the 6.5" for over two hundreds miles.  I liked the 10.5 but it was too tall for me as I don't like looking through shield.  It actually measures closer to  12" so if your like the 12" HD shield you should love the KW.

I liked the way it looks and the way it worked on the bike.  Great for two up and it was quieter.  AS to if it had true down force difficult to tell while riding.  Did notice wind from the side was substantially less.

One more thing was at idle the KW vibrated a lot. 

The 6.5' was great four me but terrible for the wife.  Thus they both went back.. I need a 8.5" version (which they do not make).

Have ordered a Clearview 9.5".  Would have ordered a Cee Bailey equivalent but they wont let it be returned in dark tint and it takes 2 weeks to get.

The KW was very nice.

:soapbox: :soapbox:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

lbk454

• WyomingRider
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »

There is a lot of discussion and threads under the SERG section on KW vs. other windshields. I realize the RG and UC have different fairings.  I had a 12" KW on my SERG and it looked great but did nothing for the wind.  I sold it after 20-30 miles.  I ended up with a Clear View and it does what I want.  In the end it is a personal preference and there is a trade off between looks and function. 

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »

That's why I stated Ultra, I know the Road Glide is different. Actually I read a lot of the posts regarding windshields....didn't see all that much on Ultras using KW.

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »

??? ??? ???

Just to make myself clear, the KW (the 6.5 and the 10.5) was used on an 09 SE Ultra.

Don't know for a fact an 8.5 would be what I want but the 6.5 was great for me and the 10.5 was too tall but great for two up.  And it for sure reduced the buffeting.

Just can't stand to look through the shield at all.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »

For me looking through the shield is the norm, I am 5'6....... vertically challenged.
I know more people that hate it then like it.
I can't stand the wind, I used to own a Dyna, and once I got a shield I couldn't get enough protection.

I had an Ultra when the first KW came out but I knew it was too small for me. Now the big daddy came out I knew I had to have it for my new Ultra. It just seems everyone is promoting something else.

Diamondback.......I figured you were talking about the Ultra..thanks

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »

I got a KW when they first hit the market. I love it. Linda dislikes it for long rides. I'm 6' and don't like looking through the shield. I also want some air on me when I ride as it can get hot here in SC. For the winter months it's back to stock. I would say I ride with it about 80% of the time.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »

Another shot

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »

I can't tell any "down force" on the front. I will say that the Traxxions made a world of difference.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Yes the KW 6.5' is nice.

Where did you get your traxxion.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Former 1999 Road King

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Yes the KW 6.5' is nice.

Where did you get your traxxion.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I went to their shop outside of Atlanta. If you'd like to read more about these upgrades follow this link. They're a little expensive but well worth it.

edited: for being too tired to spell check.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:42:52 PM by hard10 »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »

:drink:

Thanks

Former 1999 Road King

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »

Installed last night, and wouldn't you know it been raining ever since.
I hope it works as well as it looks.

Yes it does shake at Idle..quite a bit. But my take is a bike at idle is a bike not earning it's keep:)

The windshield is also a lot closer then the stock windshield....just an observation.

I will let you know what I think after a nice weekend run.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »

;) ;)

Thanks.

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:40 AM »

Here's my thoughts on the 10.5 KW windshield.
I rode 710 miles Saturday on Highways,Mountains, Back roads, 2 lane, 4 Lane, I ran everything except rain

1. Shakes at Idle
2. Moves around a bit while on Major Highway where Tractor Trailers like to roam. (Shape and size of the shield, I am sure the smaller ones don't do this)
3. Little reflection at night from your dash cluster (I assume because of the shape and it is much closer to rider)
4. Kicks the wind about 3 inches higher then the stock 12" (That's a good thing for me)
5. Reduced noise(considerable) from stock windshield.
6. Distorted view if trying to look through the curve portion of KW
7. Can't say anything about passenger (My wife wouldn't travel that far in a day)

Overall assessment.........It's a keeper, I like the looks and the way it functions.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.