Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?  (Read 7513 times)

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
Re: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:42 PM »

Doc, Thanks for the pixs.  Your first of the parallel with the T's said a thousand words.  I'm just baffled that a parallel setup is running cooler.  The engine guard cooler, is it on the left side?  Thank you.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2009, 06:48:21 AM »

Doc, Thanks for the pixs.  Your first of the parallel with the T's said a thousand words.  I'm just baffled that a parallel setup is running cooler.  The engine guard cooler, is it on the left side?  Thank you.

The oil enters one side of the engine gaurd and returns from the other side, this set up allows both the oil cooler and the engine gaurd to cool oil, but the oil will flow mostly thru the part that has the least resitance. Both parts on my bike get hot so they are working.  Doc

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »

Thanks to all that responded, have a good idea were to temps are running.  Doc

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »

OK finally got the temp gauge installed, it was 97 here Sat. rode 160 miles most at 50-70 MPH, temp stayed about 190, got into some traffic temp went to 200, so under normal riding conditions I'd say the twin ten row Jaggs are doing their job (as they don't "open" until 185).  Having said all that, I believe I have got the temp to stay under 200 during normal riding conditions & that was what I was after (Keep in mind I'm running a 10.5 to 1 compression, not the stock 9.1 to 1.  So I'm a happy camper.

10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:06 AM »

OK finally got the temp gauge installed, it was 97 here Sat. rode 160 miles most at 50-70 MPH, temp stayed about 190, got into some traffic temp went to 200, so under normal riding conditions I'd say the twin ten row Jaggs are doing their job (as they don't "open" until 185).  Having said all that, I believe I have got the temp to stay under 200 during normal riding conditions & that was what I was after (Keep in mind I'm running a 10.5 to 1 compression, not the stock 9.1 to 1.  So I'm a happy camper.

Thats very impressive oil temps, Are you also useing the stock HD adaptor to feed those coolers?  Thanks Doc

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:42 AM »

NO, must use the Jagg adapter which runs the hot oil though the oil filter first then on to the coolers, doing that there is 3 & 1/2 less pressure drop than seen when using the HD which runs cool oil though the filter after leaving the cooler.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »

Could you take a pic of the filter, so I can get an idea of how you have it plumbed?  Thanks Doc

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »

Don't care for the oil cooler up by the Throttle body, and it also has to send a lot more heat back onto the rider. Bike has extended warranty, I don't, rather me be cool.
I borrowed HDDOC's dipstick gauge. Down intersate @ about 72 for 10 - 12 miles got 209 degrees. Thru traffic and on a longer ride got 235. I am good either temp.
Have a buddy with a 08 96" Ultra with dash gauge with sensor in pan, HD cooler like the ones on our SERG's that he installed. He says 190 - 200 on I-State at 70 and 235 - 240 in traffic (thru downtown Clearwater). So mine and his are about the same.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »

Don't care for the oil cooler up by the Throttle body, and it also has to send a lot more heat back onto the rider. Bike has extended warranty, I don't, rather me be cool.
I borrowed HDDOC's dipstick gauge. Down intersate @ about 72 for 10 - 12 miles got 209 degrees. Thru traffic and on a longer ride got 235. I am good either temp.
Have a buddy with a 08 96" Ultra with dash gauge with sensor in pan, HD cooler like the ones on our SERG's that he installed. He says 190 - 200 on I-State at 70 and 235 - 240 in traffic (thru downtown Clearwater). So mine and his are about the same.

Good, DW6019  I am happy for you, & by the way, hot motors send heat up to the rider not warm  coolers..... in any case I wanted to run a cooler engine with additional cooling & oil (each cooler holds approx. 6 oz. so that's 12 additional ozs. of oil) so that's what we are talking about. Doc, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to install the lines to  Jagg coolers, which ever line you select for  "in" the oil comes out the other,  so to reduce "runs" I just ran from the output  on the adapter over to the right cooler then out from it to the left cooler & out from it  back to the remaining inlet to the adapter. waaa laaaa.   Also please keep in mind you do have to fabricate the right side cooler bracket, as as yet Jagg does not offer, but from their comments to me they may soon make it available.  Just  take off the one that is installed and reverse and lenghten the arms.   If you decide to this advise & I'll provide additional tips by phone.   Regards

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2009, 05:52:35 PM »

Jet, I see no benefit to the expense you incurred. Unless your pic is decieving you are blowing hot air back on the throttle body/fins. This is not good, the cooler the intake the better. You have spent several dollars on an unnecessary add-on. Now this in itself is not bad, we all do that every time we buy a bike, you just overkilled a situation, that really is not a situation, in my opinion. You can not tell 10 Degrees of diff in engine temp blowing back on you, but you can feel hot air from the oil cooler, just ask Doc.
Enjoy the two coolers, but I see no need. In 3 -4 years when I buy a new one, the new owner will have no cares about whether the oil temp was 220 or 260. He will only look at the visual condition of the bike. And if any problem pops up in the meantime, warranty will catch it.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »

Efficiency dictates ideally 220+ degrees for moisture burn off, proper bearing clearances and horse power efficiency. You can actually reduce engine life with over cooled engine oil. Water temp and oil temp are two unrelated readings. Go to a local race engine builder and educate your self on basic engine dynamics.....think I need three drinks.... :drink: :drink: :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 03:39:21 AM »

HDDOCFL, I guess this can stay as intended, just an exchange of good ideas & information & "opinions" .  First if you happed to notice by the details provide at the bottom of every one of my posts  I am not running the stock  factory lame di*k 9.1 compression you are, I am running 10.5 compression with  the other mods listed, I have neither the time or inclination to make my case further with you,, but when you take the position that two Jagg coolers are not required with no technical data to support such a statement (other than your "opinion") it does upset me,  as you misinform others that look to this forum for up to date information, not misinformation.  When you get a chance pick up a copy of Donny's Peterson's "Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley Davidson 1936 to Present Vol: 2 Performancing the Twin Cam"  He is only the world's most read technical journalist & an acknowledged "expert" by the engineers @ MOCO on HD motors. Very informative, especially the whole chapter on oil coolers & the whole chapter concening all the problems that our 110 motor as had from 2007 to date, with  suggestions for corrective actions.  (Problems which I might add MOCO has never publicly admited to)  Only after you are better informed then I'd don't mind hearing your opinion,   as again eveyone has a right to their opinion, but when you express it when you are not informed and it is not based on any measureable data or research then it  is a disservice to others on the forum that are looking for better ways of doing things. Have fun with the bike, if you see me on the road please wave, I'll be the one running those silly  two Jagg coolers.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:45:21 AM by jettjocky »

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 07:43:15 AM »

JettJocky! I never put your two 10 row jagg application down, in fact I am inclined to try it. Sorry if you misunderstood me.   Doc

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »

I removed the engine gaurd cooler from my oil cooling system, am going to try stock set up for a day or so to see what I gain in temps. I beleive that the engine guard cooler is adding to much restriction to the oil pump and creating a sumping problem, and posibile higher oil temps. will let you know when the rain stops.  Doc

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »

My attempt with the vertical Jagg 10 row was in series with the engine gaurd as a cooler also with the HD adaptor. I see now that to get the most of the Jagg 10 row I will need the Jagg adaptor from talking to Jett Jocky and Jagg. I will try the Jagg 10 row with there adaptor next. Single vertical first. My first try with the Jagg 10 row vertical cooler was that it deflected engine heat to my left leg, but this may have been do to the fact I ran it in series with the engine guard and that the engine gaurd may have been giving me higher engine temps due to sumping. Its all trial and error with me so far, but I would like the oil temps at the pan to be in the 220s*.   Doc
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.