Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Any one get factory replacement front tire?  (Read 5865 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
Any one get factory replacement front tire?
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

After only 3200 miles and serious front tire wear, I has told by my stealer that "absolutely no replacements for the 407"s concerning tire cupping will come from HD". I also was informed that any one claiming a factory replacement was actually only getting a "favor" from their stealer. "They" the stealer and not HD were eating the loss for "special customers". can any one prove they received a factory replacement? I would think some one would take responsibility for an obviously defective tire. :drink:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:42:11 PM by Highwaystar »
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: Any one get factory replacement front tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »

Highwaystar,

I have around 4800 miles on the original skins on my SERG. At about 4000, I noticed that the front tire was starting cup noticably. I've called the dealership and asked about this situation. They claim that they are not aware of anyone having problems with the D407. When I suggested that the tire should be replaced by Harley or the dealer since 4000 miles was certainly not the expected tread life, they brought up coincerns proper tire pressure, etc. In short, "there can't be anything wrong with a Harley tire. This is obviously due to negligence on tje part of you, the customer."

I had them order a replacement front tire because I can't ride 4K miles round-trip to Sturgis on this tire. I've been riding around town for over 800 miles on this tire and am starting to notice the vibration and noise more and more.

When the service manager tried to order a D407, he said, "Huh! They've discontinued the D407 and replaced it with the D408." It was like he'd never heard of that before. But then, he mentioned that the tread pattern on the D408 is backwards of that on the D407 and commented, "It seems like it would channel water the wrong direction on a wet road. Don't you think?"

I'm suspicious. REAL suspeicious.

THe way I figure it, though, I"m going to be paying for a replacement. I don't have the luxury of being down while I haggle this out with the dealer. This is my daily ride and I"m a few weeks away from a 4000-mile road trip.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »

Rick, I have the pressure checked and maintained buy my stealer... I have Nitrogen that will enhance tire life...Thats the sales pitch they give...There is no excuse and yes the big cats are well aware of the tire problem... but in these tough times who wants to recall 3000 tires...I just want to know if some are getting there fair replacements and others not. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:40:28 AM »

Same as Rick`s with me .
I can`t figure out that 300 Euro problem , i want to ride .
But the front is still singing when not driving directly straight on , the rear wheel is still a D407F and still in good condition .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

Same as Rick`s with me .
I can`t figure out that 300 Euro problem , i want to ride .
But the front is still singing when not driving directly straight on , the rear wheel is still a D407F and still in good condition .

Highjagger,

That singing in the front tire is the way the tread is cut according to a buddy of mine who is a (Harley-trained & certified) mechanic. Apparently, all the D407's do that.

I don't think I had the "serenade of speed" on my SERG at first. In fact, I swear I never heard the "tune of the tread" until about 3000 miles. As I started to notice it -- before it showed visible signs of cupping -- my mechnic buddy took it for a spin and said it was just the sound those tires make.

Now, I'm seeing the cupping -- very visible, if you ask me -- and I've started to notice more vibration in the front end at cruising speeds and above. Maybe I should just order a set of bleeping Metzelers and get on with life. I had great experience with the ME880's on my last two FLTR's. My 2005 ran 16-inchers front and rear. My 2007 was 18" rear and 21" front. I know they make the tires to fit the 09 SERG.

Hmmm...

RickC

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

There was a strong singing with the D407F when it was nearly at his end .
 I know what you mean .
 But , mounted a new D408F , there is the singing again , with the new tire .
 The mechanics and the dealer`s testdriver did really heard it but they do not know what it should be , it is definitely not the front-brakes and they checked the wheel-center and the bearings , but all is ok .
I also think that the Metzeler should get a chance on my bike .
But there is no rear wheel available for the SERG .

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:51 AM »

Well, Appleton Harley Davidson Got it handled after all. New 408F and Full warrantee! The 407F is a hazard and they know it.  Thank you Willy G.  :drink:

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

Mine was replaced by the factory in March with a D408.  Dealer took pics and sent it to the factory.  Factory sent back the alert and my tire was on backorder.  But the dealer definately said that the factory warranteed it.  Unfortunately the rear is cupping also (on the sides) but no where near the issue on the front.  In fact I'm taking her in today for a new rear tire.  14k on the rear and some brake pads. 
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »

The rear is a D407 i guess .
I couldn`t find a D408 for the rear yet , nowhere .

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

no change to the rear, D407. i got 13200 miles on mine
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:29:25 AM »

Well, I gave up waiting on the D408F on backorder. Two weeks ago, I got a steal online on a pair of Avon Cobras for the SERG. Had the mounted yesterday... with DynaBeads... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt!

After I pick up the SERG from the indy shop that mounted my tires (dealership won't mount tires they didn't sell), I went to the dealership to pick up my new saddlebag. The service writer told me his 09' FLH had a badly cupped 16" D407F. He talked the Moco into warrantying it. Wish to hell he'd offered to do that for mine... might have saved me $500 on tires and mounting for the Cobras.

In the end, this is not a Harley problem. It's a Dunlop problem... and it's not limited to Harley tires. Yamaha RoadStars come with a factory-mounted Dunlop dual-compound front tire. Guess what? They're all cupping at 3,000-5,000 miles. The metric guys are all going to Avon Cobras. I figured it couldn't hurt to give them a try.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »

did you go to the honda shop to have them mounted. oh, by the way. the 408F's are off backorder, just got confirmation that mine are en route. the new Dunlop 407/408 is the best handeling/wearing tire I have ever had. even with the cupping issue.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »

Well, I gave up waiting on the D408F on backorder. Two weeks ago, I got a steal online on a pair of Avon Cobras for the SERG. Had the mounted yesterday... with DynaBeads... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt!

After I pick up the SERG from the indy shop that mounted my tires (dealership won't mount tires they didn't sell), I went to the dealership to pick up my new saddlebag. The service writer told me his 09' FLH had a badly cupped 16" D407F. He talked the Moco into warrantying it. Wish to hell he'd offered to do that for mine... might have saved me $500 on tires and mounting for the Cobras.

In the end, this is not a Harley problem. It's a Dunlop problem... and it's not limited to Harley tires. Yamaha RoadStars come with a factory-mounted Dunlop dual-compound front tire. Guess what? They're all cupping at 3,000-5,000 miles. The metric guys are all going to Avon Cobras. I figured it couldn't hurt to give them a try.

Sure would like to see a snap shot of that tire on your serg.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »

did you go to the honda shop to have them mounted. oh, by the way. the 408F's are off backorder, just got confirmation that mine are en route. the new Dunlop 407/408 is the best handeling/wearing tire I have ever had. even with the cupping issue.

That`s what i am also thinking about them

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

I'll share my story:

At about 3500 miles I noted the cupping... Check air pressure, OK,

At 5K service (5700 miles) we checked the neck bearings... they either "wore-in" or were not set correctly at the MoCo.

They were a tad loose, not bad, but with the tire cupping coupled with this created a condition that you dares not let go of the bars in the dry and dont even try and take a freeway offramp at any normal speed. The cupping created a serious hydroplaning issue while cornering!

Once again, tire pressure and balance were checked. With nothing out of the ordinary, a D408 was ordered under warranty... Seems there were issues getting 408s as well... so I waited...

Finally the tire comes in... installed 300 miles ago and so far, all seems fine... I can ride in the rain again!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.