Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you adjust 2007 SERK Rear Suspension ?  (Read 1202 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
How do you adjust 2007 SERK Rear Suspension ?
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:24:46 AM »

Gents:

I was responding to a previous 2007 rear shock suspension post, but it was "idle" for 120 days, so it seemed advisable to start a new one.

I wanted to play with the rear suspension on my 07 SERK, havent touched it yet and dont have manual (bought used) so from what I can gather one input mentioned it was not possible to adjust the air suspension and another found it to be no problem.  From a "101" basis, can we stifften or soften the rear suspension, what is needed and how (do the saddle bags need removed) ?

What makes it worse is the bike is in the shop so I can look at it ...

Thanks

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: How do you adjust 2007 SERK Rear Suspension ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:19 AM »

If you have air shocks all you need is the HD air pump, purchased at your local dealer. Look behind left saddlebag and that's were the connection is, use the hand pump from HD and it will pump air into both sides simultaneously keeping it equal. Pump to desired stiffness. I think the Max is 40 psi (not too sure)

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »

Gents:

I was responding to a previous 2007 rear shock suspension post, but it was "idle" for 120 days, so it seemed advisable to start a new one.

I wanted to play with the rear suspension on my 07 SERK, havent touched it yet and dont have manual (bought used) so from what I can gather one input mentioned it was not possible to adjust the air suspension and another found it to be no problem.  From a "101" basis, can we stifften or soften the rear suspension, what is needed and how (do the saddle bags need removed) ?

What makes it worse is the bike is in the shop so I can look at it ...

Thanks

That's why you should always take what you see on the 'net with a big grain of salt.  Not possible to adjust the air adjustable suspension, hmmmmmmmmm.  That's a new one on me.

The air shocks are both plumbed to a common fill valve that's located behind the left saddlebag.  Using the special hand pump from Harley or Progressive Suspension is the best way to adjust the air pressure, since those pumps have special "lossless" connectors that won't let pressure escape when you unscrew them.  That's important because the shock system is low volume and the pressure will vary drastically if you let any air escape while removing the pump.  It's also important to not use a high pressure air source, as that low volume will allow a high pressure system to blow the seals faster than you can remove the high pressure source. 

Maximum pressure for the lowered (12 inch) shocks is 50 psi.  A good starting point for a single rider of average weight (180 lb) would be around 20-25 psi.  Harley includes a recommended inflation table in the owner's manual, perhaps one of the guys with an '07 SERK would be kind enough to scan and post it for you.

BTW, this air pressure adjustment doesn't "stiffen or soften" the ride as much as it adjusts the ride height so the shock doesn't bottom out too quickly.  When you add more load the bike sags lower on the suspension, which means it uses up more of the suspension travel just to hold up the bike.  When you hit a bump, there is less available travel to absorb the bump before the shock bottoms out on the mechanical stops.  By adding air you extend the shock and lift the rear of the bike to restore the amount of travel before the shock bottoms.  This has the effect of softening the ride because it allows the shock to work as designed without hitting the solid stops.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »

Jerry
I was trying my best not to give Shocks 102....he asked for 101.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

Jerry
I was trying my best not to give Shocks 102....he asked for 101.

Oops.  Sorry about that. ;)    I was going to suggest that he just have the dealership show him how it works on the actual bike, but then I remembered how few dealerships seem to know the correct answers, or are willing to spend the time to explain them.

Two Wheels, I suggest you do order an owner's manual and at least the basic Touring shop manual.  There is plenty of "good to know" stuff hidden between the covers of both.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.