Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Chrome Wind Deflectors  (Read 5062 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Chrome Wind Deflectors
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »

Does anyone know if the Harley Chrome Wind Deflectors HD#58121-85B will fit a SERK?  Specifically a 2003 SERK.  I bought a pair and they fit the bike fine, it's just that you can't get the windshield back on because they are in the way.

Anyone had any expereince with this?  Any way to modify them?

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Chrome Wind Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

Never mind guys.  I must have been having a "senior moment"!!   ;D

I just mounted them incorrectly the first time.  I put them inside the mounts for the windshield.  They go on the outside.  DAH!

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »

Took a 200+ mile ride yesterday and it's amazing the difference it makes with the deflectors on.  I also installed a fron fork baffle.  I'll bet those two items cut down the air coming up behind the windshield by 90%.

They don't look too bad on the SERK.  It looks better without them, but the benefits out weigh the negatives in appearance.

100GOLD

• CVO1: 03 SERK
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »

You and I went to the same mechanics school! Read directions only after part is on and not working. :-\

Have you got a pic and a part # for this? I've been thinking of doing the same thing. It's amazing how much turbulence comes from around the bottom and sides of the windshield.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »

Chrome Air Deflectors HD#58121-85B

I would also recommend the Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle HD#58520-79TC to reduce air coming from between the forks.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »

totally agree how well they work.  a little funky looking but the bike is a lot more fun to ride at speed now that the buffeting has stopped.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

Chrome Air Deflectors HD#58121-85B

I would also recommend the Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle HD#58520-79TC to reduce air coming from between the forks.

Any problems with the air baffle directing air away from the motor? Or is that rumor just bs?

JW

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »

I don't think they have any significant effect on air reaching the motor.  Certainly nothing like the air blockage I had with my Ultra with the lowers on.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »

Still trying to come to grips with the boat anchor look of those things.  The only time I'd use the windshield is on long trips, and there used to be so much buffetting that it was impossible to live with it so the shield stayed home.  Most of the air was coming up in front of the tank; I put the fork baffle on and it helped with the buffetting quite a bit.  It's liveable unless I am in the worst spot (which happens to be the normal riding position).  Now I can tell most of it is around the sides, so these things would likely take care of most of it.  Wish they made them to be easily removed.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:46 AM »

I've had no heat problems after I put on the baffle and the weather has been hot here. Put it on a couple of months ago and has helped with the excessive wind hitting me.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »

Wish they made them to be easily removed.

Gecko,
I don't know how much easier it could be to remove the wind deflectors.  All it requires is the removal on one mounting nut and the loosening of other on each side.  It's a 2 minute operation at best.
You could easily put them on for the longer rides and leave them off the remainder of the time.
Zeb

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »

Gecko,
I don't know how much easier it could be to remove the wind deflectors.  All it requires is the removal on one mounting nut and the loosening of other on each side.  It's a 2 minute operation at best.
You could easily put them on for the longer rides and leave them off the remainder of the time.
Zeb

That might be worth doing.  Or I could cut a slot to the hole you have to remove a bolt for and make them both slide on and off by loosening the nuts.  If it fails it's not like I'd be out too much money.  Will give it a shot.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »

Before you start cutting them (not sure how that would effect the chrome) I would just try mounting them like they are suppose to be.  I think you will find out it's really very simple.  You're removing one nut on each side.  No washers or anything else to come off.  It's a piece of cake.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »

I installed the fork baffle and it seemed to help but I agree that the fork deflectors aren't the best looking add-on for the front but if they work well I'm willing to give them a try. Can you tell me if it reduces or eliminates the amount of wind that whips my pants into my legs. Sometimes my legs really take a beating from the constant whipping into my legs. I have an 08 SERK. Currently have the 17" Clearview windshield but I'm waiting for a 19 1/2" version so I can wear a small carbon half without fighting to keep it on. So many little things to do but they can make a big difference.

Thanks

Ray G.   

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »

I don't know that the wind deflectors will help a lot with your legs but should provide some deflection of the air.  I think they do more to prevent the wind buffeting that comes from under the windshield.  In fact you might find they do as much, or more, to help with your helmet than a taller windshield will.  I think there is a mis-conception that the buffeting you feel is coming from over the top of the shield when in fact it's coming from around and under it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.