Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: LED (Rear) Lighting  (Read 59988 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: LED (Rear) Lighting
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »

You can see wher I started to notch. The shrinkwrap would not fit throught he hole in the leather so I did not make it bigger.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »

Now I need some help. I found this "cap" while doing the install & don't know what it is from.

I also lost the nut to hold the antenna on.

One other trick I learned: use a hair dryer to heat up the light before applying it to the leather. It makes it more plyable. Using the straight edge previously mentioned makes lining it up easier.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2007, 08:46:28 PM »

Brake lights on. You can see that I have two different turn signals. The Kuryakan LED was on backorder. The rightside is a clear bulb with a red lens.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »

AJ,
That light looks great!
I like that SC license plate too!!!
What do you have on tap for Thurs night?  Steamers?!, I will have Abby meet us there after she gets out of work!
Have fun.
TimBone
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:07:02 PM by tigertr71 »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2007, 09:21:32 PM »

AJ,
That light looks great!
I like that SC license plate too!!!
What do you have on tap for Thurs night?  Steamers?!, I will have Abby meet us there afte she gets out of work!
Have fun.
TimBone

Steamers it is!!!

I'll be the one with the [highlight]great[/highlight] sounding pipes!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2007, 10:06:06 PM »

Sounds like a plan, see you there!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »

Now I need some help. I found this "cap" while doing the install & don't know what it is from.
One other trick I learned: use a hair dryer to heat up the light before applying it to the leather. It makes it more plyable. Using the straight edge previously mentioned makes lining it up easier.

The "cap" is actually a plug to fill the unused mounting holes in the bottom of the tourpak.  Supposed to help keep the elements out.

Anybody mounting the led strip NEEDS to use the hairdryer or something similar, as the strip won't stay stuck unless it's very flexible.  That's why mine are still sitting a box in the house, it's too cold to get them to stick permanently.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »

Did the install today. All went fine. I cringed when I took the drill to the tour pack but it was flawless. [highlight]I started to notch the hole but quickly relized that was not going to work[/highlight].

Yeah, when I started the notching process I looked to the alternative and the little hole seemed to be a better way to go.  I did not drill thru the leather.  I poked a small hole with a nail and threaded the wire thru it.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

Yeah, when I started the notching process I looked to the alternative and the little hole seemed to be a better way to go.  I did not drill thru the leather.  I poked a small hole with a nail and threaded the wire thru it.

I also did not drill through the leather. Just poked a hole w/ a pin. Hairdryer is a MUST!

[highlight]The "cap" is actually a plug to fill the unused mounting holes in the bottom of the tourpak.  Supposed to help keep the elements out.

[/highlight]

I looked at this but there is only one cap and it does dot fit the hole.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »

Could one of the Mods [highlight]please[/highlight] place this as a sticky at the top of this thread on page 1. TIA, AJ

Hey Ya'll-

A quick tip for those without a meter, the wiring to the existing connector on the bike is set up like this...
Blue Wire is the Running Light
Orange w/Yellow Stripe is the Brake Light
Black is Ground

It's an easy install- measure and mark the center of the flex tube (use something that'll wipe off), use a hair dryer to heat up the ends about two inches to the ends and they'll bend like butter.  While it's still flexible hold it up against the tour pac bracket and let it cool so it'll retain its shape.  Hint: wires should be on the left as your looking from the rear of the bike.  Clean the tour pack bracket where the strip will attach with an alchohol pad, let it dry, then pull the protective tape off the double sided tape on the strip and apply the strip to the tour pac bracket starting with the center first, heat up the ends a little more as you wrap the strip around the bends.  Hold it in place for a couple minutes, just to be sure it doesn't pull away.  Voila its attached, now all you've gotta do is wire it in... run the wires through shrink tubing then up through the hole in the tour pack... there is a hole right there at the end of the tube, almost like it was designed that way.  Use the connector and pins you already bought at the dealer...
P/N 73103-96BK, tab housing, 3 position   (female plug)  ---  1 needed
P/N 73190-96 ,  terminal pins    --- 3 needed
Remember- Blue is Running, Orange w/Yellow Stripe is Brake and Black is Ground.
Strip looks great and works well.  Now you're ready to ride.  Total time about 45 minutes... and that's taking it easy.

Hope this helps.

Later-
The "Rebel"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2007, 04:43:54 PM »

Could one of the Mods [highlight]please[/highlight] place this as a sticky at the top of this thread on page 1. TIA, AJ

It's not possible to sticky a post only a thread.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »

Please add to that.

Dual element conversion:

REDwire = Brake
Orangewire = Driving

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »

Hard,
IIRC, the 06 only had 1 "cap" as well.  It was stuck in the center rear hole.  It's tight, but it goes.  Hope this helps.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
LED Tour Pack lights
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2007, 08:32:42 AM »

I ordered an LED light bar from Custom Dynamics.  http://www.customdynamics.com/ on Monday.  Tech called on Tuesday to confirm my order and clear up a question I had when ordering.  Wanted an LED that would blink half & half, brake light, & running light.  Decided to order a Custom Array - total length of LED strip 14.1" with 6.6" of lights on each side.  Chose the red outer tube for the LEDs, since the bike is red.  It arrived on Thursday. Great service - very pleased with the company/product.

If any are interested,in the installation, here is an overview of the steps and some pics following.

Centered the LED strip between the antenna posts first and tested it to make sure it worked.  The brake light assembly gave me a clue on the color wires I was looking for.  Left & right rear blinkers were purple/brown stripe & black on each side.  Took the seat off, found the rear brake/blinker wiring harness (goes into the top of the rear fender just behind the seat), and found the purple wire (left blinker) brown wire (right blinker), and the black (common).  Prior to this, I had installed HD Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit - Bullet Lens Style Brake light conversion kit.  The blinkers on the rear of the bike are also running lights & brake lights.  I tied into each wire behind the Conversion kit, tested the LED, and it worked perfectly.  One red and one black wire extended from each end of the LED strip, so its not hard to figure out left from right on the strip.  Unless you hold it upside down, and then... nevermind.

Took the antenna mounts off, drilled a new hole in the right side under the rubber mount on the back of the tour pack.  Made hole in the left side a little larger so as not to pinch the wires.  I heated the LED strip with a blow dryer to make it more pliable first then used the 3M Sponge Adhesive Promoter I ordered from Custom Dynamics.  Carefully placed it, and voilla!  It sticks tight - did not try to move it - not sure if it would have moved, so best be careful here.

Wired it in, threaded them through the hole in the right front bottom of the tour pack, and it works very well. 

Some prefer a blnker/running light combo with no brake light, or just a brake light LED.  I prefer all 3.

Here are some pics of the results.

LED bar - off
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:52:27 AM by iskifreely »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: LED Tour Pack lights
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »

Brake light on

Running light only

Left blinker

Right blinker

After looking at these pics, I used a little black touch up paint to cover the red wires showing near the antenna mounts.  Looks better & should help seal out any water, etc.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:39:01 AM by iskifreely »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.