Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: LED (Rear) Lighting  (Read 59993 times)

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
Re: LED (Rear) Lighting
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 08:09:09 AM »

Just received my Radiantz LED light strip (4000-11) and wanted to connect wiring to existing plug inside tour pack without wire splicing.  After several visits to parts dept at dealership trying to find the female plug and pins (no one could find the P/N's), I final got the plug and pins from the service mgr.   Anyone want the part numbers, .... here they are.

P/N 73103-96BK, tab housing, 3 position   (female plug)  ---  1 needed
P/N 73190-96 ,  terminal pins    --- 3 needed

total cost was $4.80 + tax  :)

Hazer_52,

Man, what timing! I also ordered the Radiantz LED light strip and was wondering how I was going to connect it without splicing. Want to make a nice job of it and not cob it up. Now, here are the part numbers, thanks!!  :) The wife a I are going to get the bike this morning, took some time off since this is going to be the best day of the week, high of 57!! I'll make a stop at the parts counter.

Thanks again!
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2006, 01:59:42 PM »

Just got mine in the mail today, gonna install it tonight, mine came with a clear tubing and a red tubing, which one are you guys using,  stopped by the HD dealer today and picked up the part numbers that Hazer posted, thanks for the info hazer, [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] anything else I should know before I start the install.....  
06 Blk Crimson charcoal Slate
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
Dyno'ed 97.0 HP 99.1 lbs of TQ
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »

Just got mine in the mail today, gonna install it tonight, mine came with a clear tubing and a red tubing, which one are you guys using,  stopped by the HD dealer today and picked up the part numbers that Hazer posted, thanks for the info hazer, [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] anything else I should know before I start the install.....  

I used the clear tubing. Doesn't show when the ignition is turned off. The LEDs themselves are red when lit. BTW, I had to shorten the section of clear tubing I used. Also had to find a small black sleeve for the thin wiring leading from the LEDs to the power/ground source. Heat up the clear tubing just before and while applying it to the bike. Makes it bend easier.

Wakko

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »

Just received my Radiantz LED light strip (4000-11) and wanted to connect wiring to existing plug inside tour pack without wire splicing.  After several visits to parts dept at dealership trying to find the female plug and pins (no one could find the P/N's), I final got the plug and pins from the service mgr.   Anyone want the part numbers, .... here they are.

P/N 73103-96BK, tab housing, 3 position   (female plug)  ---  1 needed
P/N 73190-96 ,  terminal pins    --- 3 needed

total cost was $4.80 + tax  :)

I assume the 3 pins are for ground, brake, and running light?

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »

I assume the 3 pins are for ground, brake, and running light?

Yes they are. Use a meter to figure which one is which.

dwfindley

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2006, 05:38:05 AM »

My dealer was unable to install the Flex LED lighting.  He was afraid of bending it and breaking it?  Ah!  So I will attempt the install.  He did not think to heat the ends.  :-/

Did anyone use additional adhesive to attach the Flex light to the tour pac support bar?  If so what did you use?

I added the HD kit that converted the rear signal lights to RED and operate as signal/brake lights.  Will do that screw up my attempt to have the Flex bar be a running light and brake light?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2006, 11:51:45 AM »

You'll have no problems doing the install yourself.  Just don't flex the strip side to side, you can flex it front to back, just not side to side.  In other words, it will curve around the tourpak mount, but in won't make a "smile".  You should use a little silicone to seal the ends of the tubing to prevent water from getting in.  The rest of your light setup won't interfere with these lights.  They are independant from most everything else.  You'll have to do some soldering inside the tourpak, unless you leave extra wiring length.  The dual element component won't go through existing holes in the tourpak.  I just left my wires a little long, so I was able to solder the connections outside the tourpak.  There's lots of room for such small wires.  Definitely heat the tubing.  It'll take more than you think.  The included instructions are pretty good.  I've currently got the red tubing on mine, but I also tucked it up closer to the tourpak thananybody else has shown.  It doesn't stick out too bad.  I have yet to see it when I ride!! :P ;D
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Hazer_52

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »

I wanted a little more visibility with the LED strip.  I decided to mount the LED on the tour pack.  Only used the double sided tape that came on the LED strip. I placed it just under the top lid of the pack where it is nice and protected, but very visible when the light is illuminated.   I was experimenting with the location and just ran the wires though heat shrink tubing and over the lip of the tour pack.  I am considering drilling a very small hole in the pack to run the wiring though, but I have had no problems with the weather seal the way it is now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:53:08 PM by Hazer_52 »

Hazer_52

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »

wiring into pack inside heat shrink tubing

Hazer_52

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »

brake lights on.   I also added the module to have turn signals illuminate with brakes.  my local HOG chapter recomended leaving the amber lenses on and not switching to the red lenses.  noted amber is more attention getting effect.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2006, 01:52:16 PM »

clean look -  hazer_52
nice work

Hazer_52

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »

Thanks Jeff.  

:)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2006, 02:35:06 PM »

Good job Hazer_52!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
I was thinking the same thing myself for the LED location. I wasn't sure the tape would work on the leather very well. I was wondering if you could loosen the antenna mount and insert the LED wires through the pack where the antenna wires enter?
Also did you set it up just as brake light or also running light?
As far as the turn signals as brake lights I know in Virginia all brake lights must be red so I would have to change the lenses here. I'm sure other states may be different on inspections though. If legal it's a good idea too.

Hazer_52

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2006, 02:56:29 PM »

Eagle,

I cleaned the leather where the LED was going to be applied with an alcohol swap first.

The LED is both running (top pic) and brake light (last pic).  I just accepted the word of mouth method as to the amber lenses being legal here.  We have no vehical inspection here, but I should check into it though.

Good idea about the antenna mount wire run, I'll try to look at that.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2006, 06:48:19 PM »

I bought the half inch spacing radiantz and was thinking about the exact same install location!

Now I think I have to do it!

/Bill

I wanted a little more visibility with the LED strip.  I decided to mount the LED on the tour pack.  Only used the double sided tape that came on the LED strip. I placed it just under the top lid of the pack where it is nice and protected, but very visible when the light is illuminated.   I was experimenting with the location and just ran the wires though heat shrink tubing and over the lip of the tour pack.  I am considering drilling a very small hole in the pack to run the wiring though, but I have had no problems with the weather seal the way it is now.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 20 queries.