Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My thoughts on new cam from Freedom Cycles  (Read 5136 times)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
My thoughts on new cam from Freedom Cycles
« on: November 27, 2005, 11:30:28 AM »

On Tuesday of this week I had my scooter at Freedom Cycles in Reno, NV for Brad to install his new CVO 103 Andrews Gear Drive CAM. My scooter ran really nice before I took it in for the cam but I just wanted a little more Torque in the mid range but Reliability was also a key factor for me. Well I am happy to say that I got just about everything I was hoping for (lost at blackjack table) as the scooter has almost 20 foot lbs additional torque at 3,500 rpms as this was a area I was hoping for improvement. I am going to post my Dyno Numbers at bottom of this post and I know several guys that don't like the STD vs SAE but this is what Brad @ Freedom Cycles uses. The big change for me in cam setup was additional hp & tq at 2,700 to 4,500 rpm as the scooter runs strong. Can I go out and beat every bike on the Street? "Nope" but that's not what I am looking for I just want a scooter that: Looks, Sounds, Runs, GREAT and I think I got it.

I give the new Freedom Cycles CVO 103 Andrews Grear Drive CAM a rating of 9

1st Map is stock vs. Freedom pipes, PCIII, AC
2nd Map Freedom Cams Added
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 11:31:45 AM by jeffj »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: My thoughts on new cam from Freedom Cycles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 11:52:40 AM »

Jeff, looks like you had the expected and signficant jump that comes with exhaust, a/c and a good tuning.  Then another considerable hike from the cam.  Did you get the opportunity to ride it at all between the first work an the cam install?  Certainly looks like it would be not just a measurable difference but one you'd definitely feel in the seat of your pants as well.

Congrats on being so pleased with the work and thanks for the step by step comparison.  That kind of thing is more helpful to someone still considering the"what" to do among all the options than you can imagine.

Thanks again,
Don

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »

Was this a cam only addition, specifically no headwork done? Also what are the specifications on cam lift/duration? Can this type of results be obtained using SERT? Can this install be done away from Freedom Cycles (I'm on the east coast) I'm contemplating going to gear drive cam and like the looks of those results.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 12:13:01 PM »

Jeff, do Freedom's pipes still use the springs on the heat shields, or are they using worm clamps now?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 12:23:28 PM »

Was this a cam only addition, specifically no headwork done? Also what are the specifications on cam lift/duration? Can this type of results be obtained using SERT? Can this install be done away from Freedom Cycles (I'm on the east coast) I'm contemplating going to gear drive cam and like the looks of those results.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Gary, from what was written before the cam part of the job is just cam only.  The 3500 numbers are certainly tempting aren't they.  But really all the way from 2500 to 3500 there's real gain to be felt there in the range we'd really put it to use.

Just an FYI though, you might have a similar option coming up much closer to home.  DCFireman or Unbalanced (and I forget which one) just recently reported that Zippers up north of you just a bit is working on similarly intended project and had their cam grind done ready for some initial testing.  DCFireman also mentioned doing a little homework on a Red Shift cam grind that looked promising that was already a standard grind for them.  So sometime sooner rather than later you might have info on good options right there in your own backyard.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 12:40:22 PM »

Was this a cam only addition?[highlight]Yes[/highlight] specifically no headwork done?[highlight]Correct[/highlight] Also what are the specifications on cam lift/duration?[highlight]NA Freedom doesn't share info[/highlight] Can this type of results be obtained using SERT?[highlight]I would think so, not 100% sure [/highlight]Can this install be done away from Freedom Cycles [highlight]Yes Brad at Freedom can send you the complete [/highlight][highlight]setup and you or your tech install it[/highlight](I'm on the east coast) I'm contemplating going to gear drive cam and like the looks of those results.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Give Brad or Mark (brother) a phone call at: (775) 358-3500 Great guys easy to chat with

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 12:40:24 PM »

Gary, from what was written before the cam part of the job is just cam only.  The 3500 numbers are certainly tempting aren't they.  But really all the way from 2500 to 3500 there's real gain to be felt there in the range we'd really put it to use.

Just an FYI though, you might have a similar option coming up much closer to home.  DCFireman or Unbalanced (and I forget which one) just recently reported that Zippers up north of you just a bit is working on similarly intended project and had their cam grind done ready for some initial testing.  DCFireman also mentioned doing a little homework on a Red Shift cam grind that looked promising that was already a standard grind for them.  So sometime sooner rather than later you might have info on good options right there in your own backyard.

I'm aware of the other thread with Zippers working on cam. Just investigating all options, and knowing that Zippers has the ThunderMax ECM was wondering if they would do upgrade/tune a bike w/SERT? Guess we'll find out all these particulars when parts are ready to be installed.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »

Give Brad or Mark (brother) a phone call at: (775) 358-3500 Great guys easy to chat with

Thanks, will do that.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 12:47:49 PM »

Jeff, do Freedom's pipes still use the springs on the heat shields, or are they using worm clamps now?

My Freedom Exhaust was installed on 9-29-05 and they are springs as I just checked the scooter in garage,
burr it was Cold as we just got our 1st frost of the year.

Are the worm clamps better?

jeffj

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

I'm aware of the other thread with Zippers working on cam. Just investigating all options, and knowing that Zippers has the ThunderMax ECM was wondering if they would do upgrade/tune a bike w/SERT?

They'll no doubt sell their cams "out the door" also.  So could get 'em and have the install done at a shop that does do the Race Tuner.  Sounds like we're kind of doing the same thing.  Curious to see what the Zippers numbers look like before going ahead with either one.  Would actually like to do a gear drive swap over the crappy weather season.  Just want to see the options first.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »

They'll no doubt sell their cams "out the door" also.  So could get 'em and have the install done at a shop that does do the Race Tuner.  Sounds like we're kind of doing the same thing.  Curious to see what the Zippers numbers look like before going ahead with either one.  Would actually like to do a gear drive swap over the crappy weather season.  Just want to see the options first.

Don stand by I am going to try to get the bike to them in a week or two if they want to use it for testing the red shift 557 cams. I would really like to see those numbers.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »

Don stand by I am going to try to get the bike to them in a week or two if they want to use it for testing the red shift 557 cams. I would really like to see those numbers.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Me too Dawg.  When you (or whomever it was) first mentioned the Red Shift products existing there a few months ago that cam's specs was the one I zeroed in on.  Very interested in how it will effect an otherwise internally stock 103.  If you convince them to take the time to use your bike as a test bed for testing and proofing then the beer is on me the next time we get a chance to meet up.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 08:53:36 PM »

Me too Dawg.  When you (or whomever it was) first mentioned the Red Shift products existing there a few months ago that cam's specs was the one I zeroed in on.  Very interested in how it will effect an otherwise internally stock 103.  If you convince them to take the time to use your [highlight]bike as a test bed for testing and proofing then the beer is on me the next time we get a chance to meet up.
[/highlight]

Don,

So does this mean I got a Bud Light coming also?.....LOL

jeffj

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 09:09:11 PM »

[/highlight]

Don,

So does this mean I got a Bud Light coming also?.....LOL

jeffj

Absolutely Jeff.  That kind of data offered up for comparison is worth beers any night.  First time we ground pavement together they're on me !

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 07:34:53 PM »

With the recent Freedom bashing going on here about STD vs. SAE dyno runs and AF ratio's I had a lenthy discussion with Brad about both. First, to prove the minor difference between STD and SAE he printed out Jeff's (hope you don't mind Jeff) sheet in SAE and faxed it to me. There is ony .2 hp and .4 tq difference. See the sheet and compare to the one above. As far as AF ratio he stated that the optimum ratio is 14 to 1. Each bike is tuned to perform the best at and around that range. He tried to explain it to me the best he could but most of it was over my head. The fact is that Brad knows his stuff if anyone doubts his abilities or knowledge on how to tune a bike or build motors just give him a call.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 20 queries.