Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: THE FIX for SERG seat issues  (Read 30512 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: THE FIX for SERG seat issues
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »

You got that right. Basically we are on our own to fix the seat properly.

Very true... I've had a couple extra's added in case.

I will also add a blow-up copy of the drawing with each bracket... you will have to scale it down... its like 1.5X the actual size.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »

I have plenty of time retired navy,to make phone calls to customers service,they are sending me to another harley dealer in alabama to get 3rd seat,and hopefully get it right,they can buy me the new bracket,besides ncie ride to alabama back woods.the second seat looks like the front is crooked and has been beaten buy a hammer to make fit.

Here's my take: I personally would rather be out riding than talking to a customer service rep who hasnt got a freaking clue about the real world problem with these seats, which appears to be shoddy assembly coupled with lack of adhesive and too short a bracket.

"Beaten with a hammer"? For a plastic seatpan? The fix is simple, see the pics of the disected seat, and show them to customer service, along with pics of the brackets people have made. Even if you get another new seat, the same problem will recur again.

The order window for the brackets has closed. I may consider making a second run if enough interest warrants it, but I doubt it. I'd need at least 20 more orders to do it again. For those of you that requested the brackets, I may see them by this weekend. I'll post up when they are done. Thanks for your interest and support in this project. I hope the new brackets fit each of your bikes and this is truly the "fix"

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2009, 03:14:54 PM »

UPDATE ON BRACKETS:

First off, an apology from both myself and my fabricator friend. He was out sick with the flu, and just returned to work.

Brackets are complete and now in my possesion.

I'm waiting on USPS for the free flat-rate boxes and exvelopes and I hope this will be the cheapest shipping alternative. (At least the boxes were free)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

Next pic.... the shiny one with the 3 holes is the original modified bracket...

MD-Dave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 05:35:42 PM »

Will you be posting payment instructions or will you pm those of us on your list?

Thanks,
Dave

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »

Will you be posting payment instructions or will you pm those of us on your list?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, Once I get all the stuff to send them off situated, I'll ask for each of your mailing addresses.

Upon reciept of the item, you can remit payment to me via return address or via a paypall address (gotta check if the account still works though)

Thanks for your patience:

Rob

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »

Congrats to all!!

MD-Dave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »

Thanks Rob.  I just wanted to be sure because I appreciate what you are doing for us. 

Dave

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

From the other thread...

Now... as Dan_Lockwood has graciously sent me the autocad files, If there are some of you that would like this bracket, please let me know ASAP as my buddy with access to a waterjet has asked "how many" I need... it will come brushed stainless only, and will be pre-bent like the stocker.

I need to know BY WEDNESDAY.

Just one comment about the 5/8" offset on the brackets.  When I made my first one I did 3/4" and it worked but after riding a bit I had the gap again.  I moved my next one out to 1" and that works good and the next ones I made were at 1-1/8" and this seems to push the seat up to the top of the slot in the seat up front.  Unlike JP, I have not had any issues with the fender blind nut area bending.

With your seat mods the 5/8" is probably going to work.  I would just recommend before anyone drills the holes in the bracket to test fit the seat by sliding it forward as far as the tab can go into the seat pan slot.  Mine like I said has loosened up a bit and the forward position is a good choice in my application and my fat arse.

I still have a seat mod I want to try that may keep the seat from flexing as much as it does when I sit down, just haven't had the time and effort to stay home and do the seat versus riding.  The past couple weekends here in the St. Louis area have been sunning and in the high 70's to low 80's.  I have to ride when it's like this.  The new SERG is getting a work out.

I put in the 2" Fullsac baffles and the TTS Mastertune and the bike runs great and after I killed my CAT it's so nice to ride and lots cooler.

Just a suggestion to those with seat brackets, do the seat adjustment before you drill the holes.  Each bike may be a bit different and why drill stainless steel twice.

Good luck and thanks for making these available to those that wanted to buy them.  It's not a fix but for a temp fix I like the effort invested.

Thanks again and to all the new seat bracket guys, good luck and measure twice and drill once.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »

Thanks for your comments Dan...

I'd say this is a functional fix... I cant see moving the seat pan forward as much as you have without creating another problem, like cracking the pan at the foreward mounting tab?

I've got 1500+ miles on mine since the change, and so far works just fine. I do notice a gap of less than 1/8" while seated that promptly goes away once I get off.... I've sent pics of the seat mods as well as the bracket to HD engineering and MAYBE they will accept some responsibility in all of this. (Doubt it)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »

Why not put slots in them instead of holes. Then you can slide it to align it, and then tighten it up on the seat after you align it! I have seat tabs like that on a few of my bikes! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »

Why not put slots in them instead of holes. Then you can slide it to align it, and then tighten it up on the seat after you align it! I have seat tabs like that on a few of my bikes! ;)

Not a bad idea...

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »

I have lost 2 thumb screws so far on my SERG, and yes I check it regularily to make sure that it is tight. I suspect that if there were slots on the mount bracket, the vibration would cause the screw to loosen up and the mount to potentially slide forward and back. I am going to stick with drilling a single hole.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »

I have lost 2 thumb screws so far on my SERG, and yes I check it regularily to make sure that it is tight. I suspect that if there were slots on the mount bracket, the vibration would cause the screw to loosen up and the mount to potentially slide forward and back. I am going to stick with drilling a single hole.

The slots would be for the 2 holes where the tab screws onto the seat, so you can adjust the location to tightly align your seat gap in the front, and still line up with the rear hole to mount it to the bike. I wouldn't mount the tab to the seat using only 1 hole though. It can allow the seat slip/twist sideways on that single screw like that. Always use star or lock washers when attaching the tab to the seat, and under the screw where the tab mounts to the bike. Those will keep the screws from coming loose or falling out. ;)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:10:45 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »

The slots would be for the 2 holes where the tab screws onto the seat, so you can adjust the location to tightly align your seat gap in the front, and still line up with the rear hole to mount it to the bike. I wouldn't mount the tab to the seat using only 1 hole though. It can allow the seat slip/twist sideways on that single screw like that. Always use star or lock washers when attaching the tab to the seat, and under the screw where the tab mounts to the bike. Those will keep the screws from coming loose or falling out. ;)

That makes sense and should work fine.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 26 queries.