Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Extended Warranty Question?  (Read 14626 times)

Ultra2010

Re: Extended Warranty Question?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 02:27:27 AM »

If I read your post right, you're looking at just over $1800 for the ESP and W/T warranty, that's roughly MSRP if I remember correctly.  Call Jenni at Tri-Cities, I believe that you'll be able to get both for around $1500 and some change....

:devil:
Tri-Cities seems to be the place to go.  At a Seattle dealership today I was quoted $2200 and change for both, plus tax............  I let them meet Mr. Tone, first name, Dial.

Ultra 2010

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 04:07:13 AM »

Tri-Cities seems to be the place to go.  At a Seattle dealership today I was quoted $2200 and change for both, plus tax............  I let them meet Mr. Tone, first name, Dial.

Ultra 2010
Mr. Tone - I love that.  :2vrolijk_21:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »

Ultra 2010

:oops:  I got that wrong...it's Tri-Counties HD, not Tri-Cities....sorry about that... :-[

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

t8ntnuttn

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »

i have the 5 yr extended warranty on my 06.  HD is dropping the 3rd, yes, 3rd motor in the bike next week  They've replaced the starter, tranny case, stator, 2 sets of heated grips and various other sundry items.  I would highly recommend ESP for anyone who plans on riding thier motorcycle. :o

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 01:57:14 AM »

no warranty here....my radio went out after the 2 yr warranty expired.....

I wish I purchased the warranty!!!

The radio is not included in the extended warranty offered here in germany , also we have a mileage limit which raises the part of the cost which you have to pay yourself :
upto 50000km (31000miles) the warranty pays 100 %
upto 60000km (37000miles) the warranty pays  90%
        70000      (43000 )                                     80%
        80000      (49000)                                      70%
        90000      (55000)                                      60%
       100000     (62000)                                     50%
above the 100000km (62000miles) the warranty pays 40%.
 But only when the bike allways was serviced every time at the HD dealer and when there is no modification done by yourself that is not original HD.
And this extended warranty can only be done just before the 2-year warranty has ended and it is for another 36 month and you have to pay 653 Euro ( 875 USD ) for this.
So  i think that you guys over there in the US have the better deal .  :-X
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

trashbag

• 2010 Riptide CVO Ultra

• CVO1: 2010 Riptide and Titanium
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »

I've heard that if you buy the extended warranty it's only good at the dealership you purchase it from. A buddy of mine bought his bike in Maine and tried to have warranty work done in a different state and they wouldn't cover it. He ended up paying out of pocket for the repair and went back to his original dealership to get reimbursed.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »

I've heard that if you buy the extended warranty it's only good at the dealership you purchase it from. A buddy of mine bought his bike in Maine and tried to have warranty work done in a different state and they wouldn't cover it. He ended up paying out of pocket for the repair and went back to his original dealership to get reimbursed.
If you buy the MoCo sponsored ESP (the MoCo does not manage the ESP), it is supposed to be recognized by all authorized HD dealerships. I would have taken the bike to another dealer.  I've never had the ESP refused by another dealership.  That dealership apparently didn't want to deal with calling the administrator of the ESP and dealing with the paperwork.  Every time I've had service done and it was obvious that the bike was out of factory warranty, the service writer would ask me if I had an ESP.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:33:27 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 01:00:57 PM »

I would guess that your buddy didn't have the Harley endorsed ESP, but rather some other service contract that his dealer promoted as a better deal (for the dealer, not the customer).  He needs to check the paperwork; if it is a real Harley endorsed ESP then the place that refused to cover the repair under the ESP should be reported to the mothership.  If he thought he was buying a real Harley endorsed ESP and it turns out he has some off-brand local yokel product tied to his selling dealership, he needs to have a chat with the dealer he bought it from.

A good suggestion, but one that is obviously ignored by a large number of people, is to get the facts and read the contract BEFORE signing on the dotted line and handing over any money.  Never assume that salesperson is telling the truth; look out for your own interests and do your homework before the sale.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:23 AM »

I got the ESP with W/T option for $1695 when I bought my FXSTSSE2 in April 2008 from Bumpus H-D in Jackson, TN.
I didn't know then that it could be purchased through another Dealer.  Had I known, I probably would have shopped around and gone for the best price.  None the less, the $1695 spent for an extra 5 years warranty on my 110B is at least comforting.  I understand that the experts suggest that extended warranties or service contracts usually have a low percentage of claims made against them but with Harley Davidson and the 110ci issues that some owners are having, it seemed the odds may be worth the cost of investing in the ESP.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »

I got the ESP with W/T option for $1695 when I bought my FXSTSSE2 in April 2008 from Bumpus H-D in Jackson, TN.
I didn't know then that it could be purchased through another Dealer.  Had I known, I probably would have shopped around and gone for the best price.  None the less, the $1695 spent for an extra 5 years warranty on my 110B is at least comforting.  I understand that the experts suggest that extended warranties or service contracts usually have a low percentage of claims made against them but with Harley Davidson and the 110ci issues that some owners are having, it seemed the odds may be worth the cost of investing in the ESP.

Numerous studies have concluded that for most products extended service contracts are not cost effective for the majority of people.  After all, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that half of what you pay goes into the retailers pocket as pure profit, another chunk goes to the company selling and administering the contract, and the smallest amount goes to actually pay for repairs.  But it also doesn't require rocket science to understand that some products are so poor in terms of quality and reliability that they constitute an exception to the rule.  I remember Consumer Reports used to include things like plasma TV's in that small group of products for which they recommended service contracts, back when they were relatively new and had higher than average failure rates.  I've never seen them say anything about a Harley one way or the other, since they don't review motorcycles, but I'd guess Harley's would also be one of the exceptions to their normal advice to skip the ESP.  I assume that the only reason the price for the ESP isn't higher is tied to the fact that most Harley's tend to accumulate very few miles, and therefore don't suffer too many major failures during the coverage period.  If everyone put 10k miles or more on their Harley per year and had the ESP, I believe the price would have to increase by a huge amount to cover all the repairs and still provide those fat profits to the dealers, H-D, and the administrator.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »

Numerous studies have concluded that for most products extended service contracts are not cost effective for the majority of people.  After all, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that half of what you pay goes into the retailers pocket as pure profit, another chunk goes to the company selling and administering the contract, and the smallest amount goes to actually pay for repairs.  But it also doesn't require rocket science to understand that some products are so poor in terms of quality and reliability that they constitute an exception to the rule.  I remember Consumer Reports used to include things like plasma TV's in that small group of products for which they recommended service contracts, back when they were relatively new and had higher than average failure rates.  I've never seen them say anything about a Harley one way or the other, since they don't review motorcycles, but I'd guess Harley's would also be one of the exceptions to their normal advice to skip the ESP.  I assume that the only reason the price for the ESP isn't higher is tied to the fact that most Harley's tend to accumulate very few miles, and therefore don't suffer too many major failures during the coverage period.  If everyone put 10k miles or more on their Harley per year and had the ESP, I believe the price would have to increase by a huge amount to cover all the repairs and still provide those fat profits to the dealers, H-D, and the administrator.

Jerry
Even at 20% discount you know the dealer is making a profit.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21:  They've always paid for theirselves on my bikes.  But then I ride......24,000 miles the first year. :nixweiss: 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »

Paid $1600 with tire and wheel and have saved about $3500.00 so far   I will probably save another $4000 over the next 3 years at the rate  i am going. I ride easy about 12000 a year on my 07 SERK love the bike just not the MOCO      Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »

How on earth could all that stuff go wrong with a 2007 motorcycle?  It must have been a Monday or a Friday bike.

My 08 SE has all that and lifters, too, @ 40,000 miles.

admccrea

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

Does anybody have an email address for Jenny at Tri-Counties HD. I would much rather deal with her that way then play phone tag...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.