Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dragon Claims Another One  (Read 7007 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Dragon Claims Another One
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »

A women from Canada lost control and hit a tree, and didn't make it. Sometime over the weekend
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dragon Claims Another One
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »

Found this on KNOXNEWS.COM

TALLASSEE — A woman from Canada was killed this afternoon in a motorcycle crash on the stretch of highway in Blount County known as “the Dragon,” according to the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Julie A. Beacock, 52, of Ontario, was driving a 2009 Suzuki motorcycle northbound on U.S. Highway 129 about 4 p.m. today when she ran off the left side of the road and hit a tree, a THP report said.

Fourth dead this year on the Dragon.
There is another curve about a mile from the Dragon that killed at least three this year.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »

Found this on KNOXNEWS.COM

Fourth dead this year on the Dragon.

Too many.  :(

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »

Always tough to hear about fatalities....  God Bless...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DB07

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

The accident on the dragon that killed the 49 y/o woman from austin texas on july 7th happend right in front of me.  Another 6 inches and she would have hit me..  Could have went the rest of my life without seeing what i did..  I still cant get those images out of my mind.  nuff said.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

The accident on the dragon that killed the 49 y/o woman from austin texas on july 7th happend right in front of me.  Another 6 inches and she would have hit me..  Could have went the rest of my life without seeing what i did..  I still cant get those images out of my mind.  nuff said.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20090805/NEWS/908049863

Here is another bike that took a long ride down into the thickets.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »

Hey guys!! I live very near the dragon. My suggestion is stay away Fri evening til Sun. Ride it Mon.-Thru. Forget Holidays anyday of the week.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Is the problem that people get caught up in the moment and get careless ? Or is it lack of skill. I am planning a trip in that area next year and would like some input. Thanks Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:31 AM »

Sad to hear.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Is the problem that people get caught up in the moment and get careless ? Or is it lack of skill. I am planning a trip in that area next year and would like some input. Thanks Jeff

]lots of riders. too crowded. like sharks in a frenzy. the more riders come the crazier it gets. a few months ago i excavated an area at the base (beginning ) of the dragon. the rescue squad showed up fri evening and made us move some of our equipment. they wanted parking. they informed us they leave the station on fri evening and return sun evening. so many crashes. the ems send trainees to the area because of the frequency of accidents. its the crash course in more ways than one. try the cherola pkwy. its more fun and not as dangerous. the other riders is whom you watch for. so many come thru the turns on the wrong side and hit the oncoming motorcycles or run them off the pavement. on the positive side lots to see and do in the area. it is a must trip for bikers.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 07:08:27 AM »

I live close to the Dragon, and want to make a comment.  The Dragon doesn't kill - the people who take needless chances, are too unskilled, or who themselves may be the victim of another driver get killed.  The Dragon is just a road, and a special one that needs to be respected and have one's full attention when driving it.

T-man
Lenoir City, TN

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »

I live close to the Dragon, and want to make a comment.  The Dragon doesn't kill - the people who take needless chances, are too unskilled, or who themselves may be the victim of another driver get killed.  The Dragon is just a road, and a special one that needs to be respected and have one's full attention when driving it.

T-man
Lenoir City, TN

Well I believe that's every road.........................
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »

since I live in Tennessee, I'd like to comment. I have ridden the dragon many times and I love it. more so the anticipation than the ride itself. But I have taken the time to explore many other roads in the state and I have to tell you, there are alot more roads here that make the dragon look like a driveway.
The issue with these fatalities/accidents is the riders, not the road. under experianced riders on vacation, or idiots who should have stayed in their subdivisions. you throw the dice, you might die, you might live, but you could stay home and fall off the couch and.........die.
so the dragon kinda thins the heard out a bit, so be it.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

I live in Tennessee, too. I've only ridden the dragon a handful of times, all during the week when the traffic is pretty thin. The Dragon is a great road that does command the rider's respect and, above all, constant attention.

Most (though not all) of these accidents happen on the weekends when the Dragon is very crowded. Some of these crashes are less experienced riders who typically show up on the weekend when their limited skill set gets challenged by both the road and the traffic. Some of these crashes are the result of some folks who want to ride the Dragon hard. When the dragon is not so crowded -- weekdays -- they take themselves out, maybe a riding buddy, too. On the weekends and in the crowds, things get a bit more dicey and sometimes, unfortunately, one (or more) totally innocent rider(s) is(are) involved.

I'm sure there are other causes for accidents such as mechanical failure. Truth be told, though, on a road like the Dragon, most of the accidents can be chalked up to bad judgement on someone's part.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »

Amen....what concerns me is the toll that is being taken has gotten attention of those who can make big changes.  I am a close friend of a Blount county commissioner and he has been saying several times, "Something has got to be done"....not sure what the something is, but it could alter the road taking away what we all like to ride.  Obviously, the increased LEO presence has not solved the problem.
T
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.