Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!  (Read 20915 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2005, 02:02:14 PM »

Hey Hub, How bad was the oil pump?

Yeah, 'er 'uh, hd-dude,
  Junked out.  I didn't want to mess around on Neal's bench, and disturb his lay-out, while he wasn't there.  He'll give me all the failed parts, when I pick Her up.  I'll post them all, then.  Later--HUbbard  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »

Hey Hub',
That rear tensioner looks gruesome man, looks like some major pieces are MIA. Did I understand correctly that you have only 15K on the tensioners ? Lordy, MOCO must get a a new design or new vendor for these puppies. This chit is not good.  :o
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2005, 03:26:08 PM »

Hey Hub',
That rear tensioner looks gruesome man, looks like some major pieces are MIA. Did I understand correctly that you have only 15K on the tensioners ? Lordy, MOCO must get a a new design or new vendor for these puppies. This chit is not good.  :o
Joe

Yeah, 'er 'uh, CVOJOE,
  Those tensioners were installed when I uprated the Motor to 120 cu.in., in February, of '04!  That was approximately 8-9000 miles ago.  I will report the exact miles, when I post all the failed parts.  The total repair should be completed soon.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2005, 03:27:16 PM »

Hey Hub, what's ole Maudie been snortin'?  Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  spyder
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 03:29:04 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2005, 03:28:49 PM »

Man oh man, you're gonna be cleaning on Maude for weeks when she gets home.....

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Ain't it th' truth?  Good therapy, though.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] God knows, I need it!  Later--HUBBARD

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2005, 07:39:19 PM »

Man, let's hope the DEA doesn't see those pistons or we'll have a recall and drug dogs galore.   [smiley=bobby2.gif] [smiley=drunk.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2005, 08:12:44 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DavidB,
  Took Ol' Maudie down to Tilley's, Thursday, to have the cam shoes inspected, and valve springs replaced.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm curious as to what kind of shape mine are in.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I've shown that Motor no mercy, [highlight]and it has been trouble free[/highlight].  Just doing some PM.  If they are damaged, I may replace with gear driven cams.  I used HD 20W/50 for break in period, and have had Synthetic in it since.  Somewhere around 8500-9000 miles since I had it built to a 120".  Later--HUBBARD  

Yeah, 'er 'uh, DavidB,
  Guess I better rephrase that, huh?  Due to the chain of events subsequent to the above post, I wish to change "trouble free", to "worry free!"  I'm not complaining, at all.  I've had more fun on that Motorsickle, than the Law allows!  This is just one of the variable costs that come with runnin' in the Fast Lane!  It could have been much worse.  I'm thankful it wasn't.  Later--HUBBARD  

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »

Hey Hub, what's ole Maudie been snortin'?  Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  spyder

Yeah, 'er 'uh, spyder,
  TORCO--112 Octane!  I'm not certain, I just think that's what the residue is.  Or, Hey, it coulda' been the time I had a brain fart, and put Diesel Fuel in Her on the way to Daytona, from Belleview!  After that colossal blunder, I had to use ether to get her started back!  I cussed my ownself out, that day!  Later--HUBBARD

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2005, 08:34:59 PM »

Man, let's hope the DEA doesn't see those pistons or we'll have a recall and drug dogs galore.   [smiley=bobby2.gif] [smiley=drunk.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, CVOJOE,
  DEA.  That abbreviation, or word to some, used to make me shutter.  Sure am thankful I don't have to live that life, anymore.  Seriously.  I can laugh about it now, but it won't funny then.  Later--HUBBARD

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2005, 09:51:00 PM »

Hey Hubbard, I remember somewhere in this thread where you said you use synthetic in maudie but I dont remember reading what brand.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2005, 10:12:37 PM »

Hey Hubbard,
   Look at and andrews 59g geardrive system.
It could be a viable option to the se-260.
Dave

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2005, 07:39:46 AM »

Got to disagree on that observation.  Looked at an '05 dyna in the shop this past weekend with 5100 on the odometer and a trashed stock 88....source of the problem....cam shoes!  I've know the bike and the lady that owns it since new.  Probably not a better maintained, easily ridden scoot in the country.  My observations....CHAIN DRIVE=JUNK.  Sorry, HD.

Well after finally reading most of this thread I feel the need to chime in. This info was realyed to me from the troops (maybe just one person) at Zippers some time ago. Yes there are some problems. BLM some of the problems are caused by agressive cam profiles BUT there is one other problem that exsists. The MOCO uses 2 different vendors for the chain. It seems that one vendors chains have little or no effect in a stock bike, and the other has a lot of problems. I really don't remember now what the difference was. I am thinking it had something to do with initial tension. Next time I am down there I will inquire again.

One thing to remember when you change your cams in these bikes you are adding more stress in an area that already has toooooo much stress in the first place. The only fix is GEAR DRIVEN CAMS.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 08:38:55 AM »

And HD says there is no problem with the tensioners.  Go figure must be the same guy that checks chrome and paint.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2005, 10:11:37 AM »

Hub, when we were racing sleds we would see pistons like these. Running a hot day with a leaned out engine was big power till the end. The tops of the pistons would turn this same color when they were hot enough to start melting the aluminum. Unfortunately in a 2 stroke with only one ring and revs up at 9000 they didn't live. Burn off the residue with a drill and a wire brush and see if the aluminum is pitted or not. If it's not it's residue from fuel. If there are pitts in the top of the pistons, they were very hot at one time and about to burn through. The heads (in the bowl) will show heat distortion as well some times.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:12:52 AM by Bad_Ass_2 »
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2005, 04:03:01 PM »

Hey Hubbard, I remember somewhere in this thread where you said you use synthetic in maudie but I dont remember reading [highlight]what brand[/highlight].

Yeah, 'er 'uh, reo,
  HD. Used HD 20W/50 dring break-in.  Heat-Seat method.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Not under 2000, not over 4000rpm for 3-400 miles @ 30 miles a day.  Later--HUBBARD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.