Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!  (Read 20944 times)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: This is my cam tensioner and bearings!
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2006, 06:50:08 AM »

Huh?????   [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif] spyder

Yup, notice of the bearing replacement comes with the owners manual and paperworrk on the new bike.  Some find it to be quite a surprise.....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »

Yup, notice of the bearing replacement comes with the owners manual and paperworrk on the new bike.  [highlight]Some find it to be quite a surprise[/highlight].....
I'll say!  A product is only as good as it's weakest point.......why would anyone purchase a new vehicle that had a weak link designed into it and produced and sold (for a premium sum) with this inherent flaw?  I think the MOCO has outwitted itself on this one.  I'm a dyed in the wool HD enthusiast, but boy, they're making it hard to stay positive and solidly in their camp when they pull this crap.  >:(  aaaaaarrrrgh.  :-[ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »

spyder,

Try this thread  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1124632407 .  I'd like to see the MoCo have to post this prominently in every dealership, and then see how many Dyna's they sell.  My understanding is that they spring it on the buyer only after they sit down to finish the paperwork.  Not only do we get to pay inflated prices for the product, but we also get to become quasi-employees (uncompensated) to do the MoCo's testing for them.  What a deal!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »

spyder,

Try this thread  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1124632407 .  I'd like to see the MoCo have to post this prominently in every dealership, and then see how many Dyna's they sell.  My understanding is that they spring it on the buyer only after they sit down to finish the paperwork.  Not only do we get to pay inflated prices for the product, but we also get to become quasi-employees (uncompensated) to do the MoCo's testing for them.  What a deal!

Jerry

I'm with you on the HD shops being "out front" with the problem.  From a personal standpoint, I'm proud to advise that my son, who's Sales Manager for a large dealership (name witheld to avoid unsolicited advertising) requires that all new Dyna buyers be advised prior to negotiating the deal and be introducted to the Service Manager for a complete explanation of the circumstance.  Some buy and some don't, but they all seem to be appreciative of the consideration.  Last year saw most of the HD shops fall into line on MSRP...maybe this year they can work to being "out front" with the loyal customers.

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2006, 07:04:18 PM »

After reading that thread on the need for 15000 mile changes on the inner primary bearing of the new Dyna all I can say is that was one heck of a spin.  If I may offer my version of a translation shown in parenthesis and BOLD Italics.  It should be noted the below comments are only an opinion and/or offered for amusement purposes and not in anyway meant to offend, demean, or slander the Harley-Davidson Motor Company nor anyone currently or previously affiliated with said company.  Further these comments are not the official position of this board nor any entity to which I may be affiliated and are probably if not actually inaccurate. <I REPEAT THE FOLLOWING IS FOR AMUSMENT PURPOSES ONLY>
Dear Customer:

In order to monitor the quality of our products, (so that we can see how our product will perform under ‘real world” conditions) it has become customary in recent years for Harley-Davidson to implement an Initial Care Program on any significant new product changes. (We use the Dyna line as a test bed for any significant changes and then we let you the customer be the “test pilot”.)

These programs are generally managed through the Company’s authorized dealers during the motorcycle’s introduction period.

In keeping with this practice, Harley-Davidson implemented an Initial Care Program for the all new 2006 model year Dyna motorcycles at the time of introduction. This program allows Harley-Davidson to better monitor initial repair trends (We sort of failed to do this on the twin cam Dyna in 1999 and had cam drive sprocket and retaining bolt failures, later we experienced failed cam bearings throughout the twin cam line, and now we are experiencing a high failure rate on cam chain tensioners)  on this new motorcycle family and provide rapid (before anyone files a class action law suit) resolution to customer concerns. The Initial Care Program for the 2006 Dyna motorcycles differs from the service interval information published in your owner’s manual:

. A lubricant change for the primary chain and transmission is now specified at 1,000 miles, and at every 5,000 miles thereafter, (so we can get a look at how well that bearing is holding up and determine a mean time between failure) and

. An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000-mile intervals.

Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined (It was a shot in the dark really because we just don’t ride’em like you do but based upon the stresses placed on this bearing by moving the compensator out we think it’s a good bet it will fail within this time unless of course you install a big bore kit, stroker crank, higher lift cams, do a head job, change pipes, install free flowing air cleaner and modify the fuel injection and then its anyone’s guess!)  the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000-mile intervals, at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements (discover the need to find a better bearing or buy the patent for an outer bearing support) and monitor repair trends (FAILURES) on 2006 Dyna motorcycles. Your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer will be your best source of any updates to this requirement.

Please acknowledge that you have read and understood these provisions regarding your new

Dyna motorcycle by signing below (So that you can’t sue our @&& off later). We request that you keep your copy of this notification with

your Owner’s Manual so that you (and the poor chap who buys this bike after you give up on it) have it for future reference.

Steve Phillips

Vice President – Quality and Customer Service

Acknowledgements:

Customer Name (please print) Customer Signature

V.I.N. _______________________________ Date:

Dealership Name and Dealership Number Dealer Representative Signature

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, 3700 West Juneau Ave., PO Box 653, Milwaukee, WI 53201
eter
dkm

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »

Dave,

Very well said! Very sad!! And very, very believable!!!

Grover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2006, 07:43:04 AM »

Dave,

Very good, but you need to add one more disclaimer.  "Since failure of the primary bearing can cause immediate lock-up of the rear wheel, it is strongly recommended that you wear full leathers, boots, and helmet at all times.  It is further recommended that you not exceed 25 mph."

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »

Dave,

Very good, but you need to add one more disclaimer.  "Since failure of the primary bearing can cause immediate lock-up of the rear wheel, it is strongly recommended that you wear full leathers, boots, and helmet at all times.  It is further recommended that you not exceed 25 mph."

Jerry

Hadn't really considered that very real problem, but I sure could be a financial attention getter for the MoCo.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2006, 08:39:14 AM »

Dave,

Jerry

Hadn't really considered that very real problem, but it sure could be a financial attention getter for the MoCo.
As someone who has experienced severe road rash in the past, and who has no desire to do it again, this was my biggest concern about this issue.  If the bearing failed and trashed the trans or engine, the MoCo would have to pay for the repairs (pretty hard to get out of it with this piece of paper entered into evidence) so it isn't so much about the financial side of the problem.  However, if the bike locks up and the rider goes down, they are opening themselves up to some major legal and publicity problems.  Makes the whole thing sound even dumber, doesn't it?  Much smarter and cheaper in the long run to just do the right thing and fix this before selling the bike to a consumer.

Jerry

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Ladies and Gentlemen of ths Great Site!
  Went to Tilley's Birthday Party in Statesville, yesterday.  [smiley=2vrolijk_06.gif] He's 70 years young!  Brought all my failed parts home, with the exception of the intake.  It had a small dent around the seal, from the tightening of the clamp, as their first run of these were obviously too thin, in that area.  They replaced it with the "New & Improved" one, free of charge.  Next month will be two years since that Motor was built.  Now, that's service after the sale!  Pretty nice of them, I thought! The torque plates should be there Tuesday, so Ol' Maudie should come out of Her Coma the week of Jan. 23rd.  ;D Took pictures of the old parts over at OTIS's last night with my New Camera, from Santa.  Will post tomorrow, if I can figger' out how to hook it up to my 'Pewter!  ;) Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2006, 02:05:34 PM »

The following 11 Pictures reflect damaged Engine parts from Maudie's BIG MOTOR.  Other than the broken Valve Keeper, the failed parts are a direct result of runnin' the chit out of a Motor with chain driven Cams.  Preventive Maintenance saved me a PILE of Money!  Ride 'em Hard, but take care of 'em!  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »

Cams--Junked Out

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »

Cams--Junked Out

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:56 PM »

Front Tensioner

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »

Rear Tensioner--The Culprit
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.