Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tranny & Primary fill level clarification  (Read 10076 times)

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anny #1258/1800
Tranny & Primary fill level clarification
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »

With the bike standing upright on a jack (vertical, not on kick stand) fill the primary to the bottom edge of the diaphram spring and fill the tranny to the full mark with the dip stick setting on the first thread but not started into the threaded hole.

Is this correct?

TIA

VG

REGGAB

Re: Tranny & Primary fill level clarification
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »

With the bike standing upright on a jack (vertical, not on kick stand) fill the primary to the bottom edge of the diaphram spring and fill the tranny to the full mark with the dip stick setting on the first thread but not started into the threaded hole.

Is this correct?

TIA

VG

I'm pretty sure you're right.  I just dump 22 ounces of Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W140 Hypoid Gear Oil in the transmission and a quart of Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W Transmission Oil in the primary.  Never check the level between changes as long as there's no leaks.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »

Correct on the primary but WRONG on the tranny.

Tranny check is made with the bike on the jiffy stand and do not thread the dipstick into the hole.  Dipstick should just rest on the threads of the case.

T-man

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »

Correct on the primary but WRONG on the tranny.

Tranny check is made with the bike on the jiffy stand and do not thread the dipstick into the hole.  Dipstick should just rest on the threads of the case.

T-man
bike should be upright for tranny, doesnt have a swivel stick
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »

I hear ya, but, not according to my owner's manual, says bike on sidestand when checking tranny.
T

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »

For the trannny It depends on the year, 07+ on the jiffy stand, 06- bike level.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »

For the trannny It depends on the year, 07+ on the jiffy stand, 06- bike level.

This is true; although considering that the Trike must remain upright, you can get away with checking the late model machines on the lift. My understanding is that the difference is approximately 2 ounces.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »

HeHe!!! I have the Easy Remove Tranny Dipstick on my bikes. They can be unscrewed by hand. But the tranny level never changes as long as there's no leak. So I rarely, if ever, check it since I change it every 5K. I guess it don't matter much how youze check it, on or off the Jiffy Stand! ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »

This is true; although considering that the Trike must remain upright, you can get away with checking the late model machines on the lift. My understanding is that the difference is approximately 2 ounces.

Hadn't thought of that before.  Anyone know if the trikes have a different dipstick (the one in the transmission not the one behind the handlebars)?  Or do the trikes just prove that the fluid volume was never all that picky a spec to begin with (like we didn't already know that)?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »

HeHe!!! I have the Easy Remove Tranny Dipstick on my bikes. They can be unscrewed by hand. But the tranny level never changes as long as there's no leak. So I rarely, if ever, check it since I change it every 5K. I guess it don't matter much how youze check it, on or off the Jiffy Stand! ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

Yup, dipstick on the trans is pretty much a waste.  I measure the amount I put in (spec = 20-24 oz, I install 22 oz.).  Then just for giggles I check it with the dipstick, and depending on how I angle it as I insert it I can make it measure over full or barely touch the stick.  Not what I would call a precise measuring device or method.  Supposedly the '07 and later trans stick  works a little better.

If the MoCo has finally figured out how to keep the shift shaft and mainshaft seals from failing, I don't see much reason to check the level.  If the trans is losing oil, you will most likely notice it, especially if you're running the red stuff.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »

Hadn't thought of that before.  Anyone know if the trikes have a different dipstick (the one in the transmission not the one behind the handlebars)?  Or do the trikes just prove that the fluid volume was never all that picky a spec to begin with (like we didn't already know that)?

The Trike dipstick is the same as the 2 wheeler. The loose nut behind the handlebar is another issue. On the 5-speed machines, the trans fluid level can be a little sensitive in cold weather. If the trans is well topped off, fluid will sometimes purge from the vent in cold weather. For a number of years the fluid spec for the 5-speed transmission was 16 ounces. The increase came about to address clutch release bearing failures.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »

2012 Street Glide.
Work shop manual states 28oz in the transmission service section, however in the transmission overhaul section it states 32oz.
Not sure how accurate the dip stick is but level with bike on side stand is spot on with 28oz
Having 32oz in tranny would this cause any problems?

And just to confuse the matter my 08 Softail manual states 32 oz

Are these the same transmissions?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »

Put 32 ounces in your 2012 Streetglide tranny..

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »

Put 32 ounces in your 2012 Streetglide tranny..
When I took delivery I checked all fluids, tranny was on the lower end of the dipstick.
That would make it close to 28oz according to what is left in the bottle.

When I replaced tranny fuild I filled it to the full mark on dip stick, maybe the dip stick is not that accurate!

Putting extra oil (4oz to make up the 32oz) in would this cause excess pressure internally and possibly blowing a seal?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:20:06 PM by Aussie »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »

With bike on side stand and on a level surface oil is resting on the full mark of dip stick.

Putting extra oil (4 oz) in would this cause excess pressure internally and possibly blowing a seal?

It's not likely to blow a seal, but it may blow some oil out the vent if you overfill and then run it hard and hot.

I believe I'd go with the service manual recommendation, especially since it seems to be verified by your dipstick measurement.  The reason for a different amount for service versus overhaul is pretty simple actually.  When the trans or primary or other components are stripped down for overhaul, all the fluid is removed.  When you just do a normal drain and fill during a service interval, you rarely get all the old oil out.

BTW, for the folks with a 2013 model Harley has once again changed the method for checking the trans fluid level.  This is from the 2013 New Model Forum information:

"A change has been made to how transmission oil level is checked.  Currently it is checked on the side stand with the dipstick resting on the threads.  For 2013 it is still checked on the side stand, the change is to screw the dipstick in until the o-ring touches the case."

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.