Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: change of pipes  (Read 1079 times)

ultrarider09

change of pipes
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »

I have an 09 Ultra S.E. with stock pipes.  Want to upgrade to a deep throaty sounding pipe.  I had Vance & Hines on my 07 Ultra S.E. and was not happy with the sound...seemed to be just above stock.

A couple were suggested.....Rush and Kurakyn.  Kuraykyn has a new muffler called the BEAST.  Looks real good but I don;t know what kind of sound it produces, it is also kind of expensive for a slip-on.

I don't want to have to install a race tuner....kind of costly.

Anyone have either of these pipes installed and how do they perform and sound?

John E.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: change of pipes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »

Welcome to the site. When you get a change, take the time to introduce yourself in the New Member Introduction .

As far as exhaust options, I think you will find that most have opted for the Fullsac baffle modification of their stock CVO mufflers. A very cost effective means to improve both sound and performance. You can do the change without a tuning device but will not realize the full performance potential. A tuning device will also allow you to make A/F and timing change to help cool the operating temperature of your motor, which by default is extremely high.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:47:07 AM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »

As far as exhaust options, I think you will find that most have opted for the Fullsac baffle modification of their stock CVO mufflers. A very cost effective means to improve both sound and performance. You can do the change without a tuning device but will not realize the full performance potential. A tuning device will also allow you to make A/F and timing change to help cool the operating temperature of your motor, which by default is extremely high.

Not to hijack this thread, but....
Just a quick question----I asked this the other day and got conflicting answers. I also want the exhaust on my 10 SESG done. Can I get away with the fullsac muffler mod only for now and do the SERT and the headpipe mod over the winter? I know about the performance gain, but I just don't have all the $$$ now and REALLY, REALLY need to get those stock mufflers off the bike.  What do you think??

grip

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

I just replaced the OE baffles in my 09 SERG with a set of 2" Fullsac baffles.  The people at fullsac informed me that the O2 sensors would recognize the change without problems, but if I removed the CAT (which I plan to do this winter) that I would need the Mastertune to remap.  The 2" fullsacs sound great....the best money I ever spent on exhaust mods.

Ride safe
Grip

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »

Not to hijack this thread, but....
Just a quick question----I asked this the other day and got conflicting answers. I also want the exhaust on my 10 SESG done. Can I get away with the fullsac muffler mod only for now and do the SERT and the headpipe mod over the winter? I know about the performance gain, but I just don't have all the $$$ now and REALLY, REALLY need to get those stock mufflers off the bike.  What do you think??

No issue, do the baffles now and the tuning device after headpipe mod in the winter. I'd do some additional research on your tuning device before settling on the SEST (new version of SERT).  TTS Mastertune is a user friendly alternative manufactured by the company who used to build the SERT for H-D. Plenty of info on this site about it.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »

No issue, do the baffles now and the tuning device after headpipe mod in the winter. I'd do some additional research on your tuning device before settling on the SEST (new version of SERT).  TTS Mastertune is a user friendly alternative manufactured by the company who used to build the SERT for H-D. Plenty of info on this site about it.

That was what I was planning. As far as I can see it is the updated very of the SERT

and Grip:
How loud are they. I am used to V&H true duals with baffles removed and Thunder Monsters installed. I know they won't be that loud, but I want it to have some balls:)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:27:18 PM by mjb765 »

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »

How loud are they. I am used to V&H true duals with baffles removed and Thunder Monsters installed. I know they won't be that loud, but I want it to have some balls:)
]

I have the 2"baffles in my '09 SERG. I'm confident you'll be satisfied with the improved and louder sound.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »

im really thinking of swapping my 2" fullsac's for 2.25"
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

or find boom cans
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

too quiet?

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »

Ultrarider09, I have had slipons on two bikes with no tuning done and was happy with performance and sound on both.  Had Rinehart slipons on 08 FLHRC and have Cobra slipons on 09 SERG.  Rineharts were throatier and deeper a bit, but the Cobras are good too.  I did ultimately switch to Rinehart true duals and did race tuner with those - was very happy with sound and performance of those as well.  Welcome to the site!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »

Now I just need to decide between V&H slip-ons or the fullsac baffles.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

Now I just need to decide between V&H slip-ons or the fullsac baffles.

I initially installed Vance & Hines 4" Classic Slip-ons  (http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/touring-9508-classicslip/classicslipons.html) when I  purchased my SERG but removed them at 600 miles as I found them too quiet for my taste. The Fullsac 2" baffles are significantly louder. I'd really prefer something in between. Still have the V&H slip-ons if anyone is interested.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »

Those must be a bit different than the basic slip ons that I was looking at

http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/touring-09-basicslipons/basicslipons.html

grip

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:25 AM »

mjb765...As far as the 2" fullsacs, I love the tone. I'm do not like an extremely loud pipe. That being said, I find that the 2" fullsacs have a deep throaty rumble that I can hear when I'm cruising down the road.  I am well pleased with them.  Go to www.fullsac.com and I think there is a video of the sound of the pipes.

Ride Safe,

Grip
Grip

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.