Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle play...Should there be that much?  (Read 1316 times)

usa90

• Full CVO Member
Throttle play...Should there be that much?
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »

I just got my 2007 FLHRSE3 and just had it run through a dealer. I originally though there was too much play in  the throttle but my mechanic said that because of the cruise control on the bike you have to have a good amount of play. I never had that play with my Street Glide.
Is that normal for these bikes?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Throttle play...Should there be that much?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »

There should be some play but it is adjustable, so adjust it the way that you like it!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »

I just got my 2007 FLHRSE3 and just had it run through a dealer. I originally though there was too much play in  the throttle but my mechanic said that because of the cruise control on the bike you have to have a good amount of play. I never had that play with my Street Glide.
Is that normal for these bikes?

You need enough play that the throttle can fully close and maybe a red pubic hair more.  I keep mine with 1/16-1/8 of play.....

Also, get a new mech, the cruise has it's own adjustment that has NOTHING to do with the throttle play.  Don't recall the procedure off hand but it's in the service manual.

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

Wow, really that's good to know because he told me it had to do with the cruise control cables coming together and I thought there was way too much play to begin with now he added more.
Thanks for the head up...that's what happens at times when you don't go to a regular harley dealer but a custom builder.
I have aftermarket pipes (thunderheaders) he also tried to talk me into a Power Commander vs a HD Screaming Eagle race tuner
What's your opinion?
Thanks for your help

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »

if there is no free play it will activate the roll off switch and the cruise wont set.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »

That's the way he explained it, thanks

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »

Wow, really that's good to know because he told me it had to do with the cruise control cables coming together and I thought there was way too much play to begin with now he added more.
Thanks for the head up...that's what happens at times when you don't go to a regular harley dealer but a custom builder.
I have aftermarket pipes (thunderheaders) he also tried to talk me into a Power Commander vs a HD Screaming Eagle race tuner
What's your opinion?
Thanks for your help
have you considered the TTS Mastertune
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:14 PM »

There is a huge difference between "no play", which can affect the cruise function, and excessive play.  I adjust mine to no more than 1/8" play measured at the edge of the grip, and I've never had a problem with the cruise control.  Just make sure you can turn the bars full lock to lock without causing throttle movement.  The actual minimum spec for freeplay, measured at the grip, is .060" or 1.5mm.  In other words, 1/16".  There is a detailed procedure in the shop manual for setting the cables and checking the roll off switch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 01:43:35 AM »

The cruise control doesn't even have a cable adjustment as you're used to seeing with the throttle and idle cables.  You don't do it manually by adjusting the housing length as the others are done. 

The cruise module itself adjusts its internal spool to set the cable length.  It's a process you initiate from the saddle using the handlebar controls.  Got it saved here somewhere....

Here ya go, if you ever need it:

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »

I'll second the TTS Mastertune.......

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.