Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: My 4th Engine Shutdown at 60mph  (Read 12583 times)

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
Re: My 4th Engine Shutdown at 60mph
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »

I don't know what the problem is.  If it were mine, I would check connections at battery, frame, and starter.  Also check fuel pump relay and ECM connections.  Never throws a code?   Maybe the ECM is rebooting from a loose connection?

Does it cough, hesitate, and stall or does it die immediately like you turn the key off?

These are the hardest problems to fix.  If it would die and not restart, it could be fixed more easily.

Hopefully someone can help you out on here.  Good luck.  (Definitely not safe this way-be careful).
I had the same problem just about 2 months ago, and sure enough it was the Battery connections. took the seat off 2 or 3 times and wow it could move just a little bit. But one turn of the wrench and problem solved.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »

I remember that the 2003 Ultras had a problem exactly like this and it was a bad relay... I can for the life of me remember which one, but as soon as some of the bikes got really hot they shut down.

After waiting a few minutes they'd fire right back up again until the next time the relay got hot.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »

Now that is what I'm talking about!! I will check the battery connections when I pull the seat off to change out the fuel filter!! Actually it's about time I replace the stock battery with a new one.36,585 miles is good on original battery.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »

And if memory serves me right you are 11,000 miles over due.

Twolanerider, I tend to agree with you. Stranger thinks have happened and will continue to happen with these scoots. You just never know.

Thought they changed the spec on this to 50k now.   :nixweiss:  I would look to a sensor or ground before I would change this out.   Friend of ours had a bike that did this and it turned out to be a sensor although it never threw a code. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »

Trying to find that sensor or relay or ground maybe a life long experience!! This shutdown only happens about every three to four months or longer.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

They migrated from the circuit breaker to a maxi-fuse several years ago at least partly because of the breaker issues Jerry (fuses also cheaper).  No reset on the maxi-fuse though.  Just a big fuse.  When it blows it's done.
Thanks Don.  I know the newer bikes have the maxi-fuse but I thought it was a circuit breaker type also.  Guess it really is a fuse after all.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 11:45:30 AM »

This maxi-fuse might be causing this shutdown?

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »

Yes.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »

No.  Maxi fuses don't reset.  So would not account for the intermittent nature of your problem and would not allow the restart of the bike without the fuse having been replaced first.  When they're blown they're blown. 

They're also cheap at any auto parts store.  And easy enough of a replacement for anyone to change on the side of the road.  That's why you should always carry a spare.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »

Kasper once again this morning on my way to work shutdown while I was crusing at 60 mph. I coasted to the side of the road and shut everything off and then went through the start cycle again and she started right up. I continued on to work another 4 miles and all was good. This is a real puzzle and Harley has no clue what the problem is. >:(

Peripheral issues aside, I have seen a number of these; the early circuit breaker failures were easy, the later model machines can be a real sonofabitch to nail down. The tough part is that they don’t malfunction often enough to allow a diagnosis while in the failure mode. The newest machine that I have seen do this is a 2006.

The symptom is always the same; you are running along, engine dies and will sometimes restart before the machine comes to a full stop. The engine is never difficult to restart and will always restart after coming to a stop.

You can ride hundreds or thousands of miles between episodes. I heard of one machine doing it 4 times in one day. (ECM) The very first one that I ran into malfunctioned just twice in a riding season. After replacing run/stop switch on the handlebar it hasn’t malfunctioned in years. I have also seen more than one replacement ECM resolve this issue.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »

Some of the sensors do reset if you let the bike set for a while, at least the heat sensor did. I was looking for a way to defeat the sensores when needed but it can't be done. I just about went back to a carburetor and points it was so frustrating...and dangerous. I did do that on a early evolution motor and all I needed to fix the ignition system after that was a nail file.  ;)   Doc

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »

i've seen this when new true duals are installed, the pipe that runs over the top of the primary needed to be raised up.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »

I've seen this when new true duals are installed, the pipe that runs over the top of the primary needed to be raised up.

The early heat sensor was mounted on top of the rear cylinder and that was changed to the bottom of the V somewhere. Not sure but that might be where it hangs out now which would explain your comment about raising the pipe.  Doc
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:04:14 PM by grandpadoc »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

Peripheral issues aside, I have seen a number of these; the early circuit breaker failures were easy, the later model machines can be a real sonofabitch to nail down. The tough part is that they don’t malfunction often enough to allow a diagnosis while in the failure mode. The newest machine that I have seen do this is a 2006.

The symptom is always the same; you are running along, engine dies and will sometimes restart before the machine comes to a full stop. The engine is never difficult to restart and will always restart after coming to a stop.

You can ride hundreds or thousands of miles between episodes. I heard of one machine doing it 4 times in one day. (ECM) The very first one that I ran into malfunctioned just twice in a riding season. After replacing run/stop switch on the handlebar it hasn’t malfunctioned in years. I have also seen more than one replacement ECM resolve this issue.

Really doubt there is anything more frustrating (on every level) for both the owner and the servicer than intermittent electrical or electronic failues.  Some systems may have a more common point of failure.  If so that's at least a place to start.  But you're still just guessing.  Plug and play repair guesswork can get expensve too.

Too many shops blow this type of problem off.  In ways its understandable.  But it's not excusable.  The diligent shops that make the legitimate effort while knowing all the while they'll be beating their head against the proverbial wall for a time deserve to be applauded for the effort though.  These can be damned annoying exercises.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »

This thread has become way too in depth.....start with the simple things and then move on to the next step.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.