Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cash for Clunkers quick analysis  (Read 530 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Cash for Clunkers quick analysis
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

I guess I must be on the wrong page…

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year. 

So, the average "Cash for Clunkers" transaction will reduce  US  gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. 

They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons / year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's  US  consumption.

And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $70/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

How good a deal was that ???

They'll probably do a great job with health care though!!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Cash for Clunkers quick analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »

Oh yeah, the j-a wants to spend $900 BILLION!!!!!  WTF?????  Just where in the hell doe she think we'll get the money??????  At his rate of spending, my great-great-great grandchildren will have to be making money faster than Bill Gates to be able to see the top of the water.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »

Have any of you folks ever gone on a group ride and traveled for hundreds of miles, only to have the leader of the ride suddenly stop and tell everyone that he has no idea where we are, and that we may have made an incorrect turn leaving the parking lot?  Everyone followed along, assuming that the leader knew the route and all along the leader didn't want to be embarassed by letting the group know that he didn't have a clue where he was going.

Guess who's leading this country's ride.  Unfortunately, there's no GPS that can get us back on track and we may end up at the bottom of a lake.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

Have any of you folks ever gone on a group ride and traveled for hundreds of miles, only to have the leader of the ride suddenly stop and tell everyone that he has no idea where we are, and that we may have made an incorrect turn leaving the parking lot?  Everyone followed along, assuming that the leader knew the route and all along the leader didn't want to be embarassed by letting the group know that he didn't have a clue where he was going.

nope never happened to me  :coolblue:

Guess who's leading this country's ride.  Unfortunately, there's no GPS that can get us back on track and we may end up at the bottom of a lake.

one of the items not mentioned, the clunkers were supposed to be dissabled. but they are showing up for sale , so, how does that generated revenue play out in the scenario. as 3rd party jobber is picking them up.
and now, many dealers here are offering 5k for your clunker trade.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »

one of the items not mentioned, the clunkers were supposed to be dissabled. but they are showing up for sale , so, how does that generated revenue play out in the scenario. as 3rd party jobber is picking them up.
and now, many dealers here are offering 5k for your clunker trade.

The government has already sent auditors to many dealers and fines of up to $15k per violation will be issued.  They were at multiple dealers in our town last week.  Funny thing, the dealers are audited but haven't been paid.

I personally do not know of any dealers that can afford the liability of not following the letter of the law with this program which calls for the dealers to freeze the engines, once they are paid.  The cars can be parted out however and that is occurring through the registered wrecking yards that are collecting the clunkers from dealers.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.