Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Hyd shocks  (Read 16527 times)

sesgrob

Re: Hyd shocks
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »

no pictures   they look exactly like before except 11inches eye to eye       being shorter you have to run more air pressure  30-32 psi works pretty good for me

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »

i have a new set i took off of my sesg that i would get rid of
damn , i allready ordered them .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »

Is it just me, or is there something not quite right about the idea of using only one side to set preload?  Maybe with a Harley it doesn't matter all that much, but I was always taught that it was desireable to match left and right sides as closely as possible (forks and rear shocks) to provide the smoothest action without excessive binding or "stiction".  Then I switch to the H-D brand and find that they do silly stuff like using a damper rod in one side of the forks and a cartridge system in the other, with different characteristics constantly working against each other.  Talk about causing "stiction".  So now they take that same goofy idea and apply it to the rear of the bike, and only use one side to set ride height?  Seems wrong to me.  In fact, I originally assumed there was a little hydraulic line that connected the two shocks, just like the air line on the air adjustable shocks.  I was totally "shocked" when I perused the first example at the local dealership and found no interconnecting line.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »

You often see a "only-one-side-damper" at motorcycles , i guess it is based on the "one-wheel-line" and doesn`t really matter .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »

Hey, they work for me.  The best stock shocks I've experienced.....I'm going with em! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »

I agree these shocks work well from what I can tell from the short time I rode my bike.  I will be curious to see how they react in hard cornering and sweeping turns at higher speeds with a mix of road undulations.  Have to wait for the snow to melt!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »

I'm not that smart but am going to throw something out anyway.  Is there adjustment on one side only because the clutch side shock is compressed a little when on the side stand?      :nixweiss:

Or is the MOCO just that cheap? 

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

I have the same damn question, I am going to guess that they are cheap!
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »

I'm not that smart but am going to throw something out anyway.  Is there adjustment on one side only because the clutch side shock is compressed a little when on the side stand?      :nixweiss:

Or is the MOCO just that cheap?  

I would like to see the mechanical enginneering write-up explaining the functional design of these shocks.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:19:18 PM by DRTYK9 »

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

i have a new set i took off of my sesg that i would get rid of

What do you want for them?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

I would like to see the mechanical enginneering write-up explaining the functional design of these shocks.  

Me too.  First, I'd like to see the reasoning for abandoning the air shocks, which have to be dirt cheap for the MoCo to buy.  Second, I'd like to see the reasoning for the "one side only" preload adjustment.  Is it to make folks who are used to just loosening one saddlebag to check and adjust air pressure happy?  As much as I like Boatman's answer (cheap), in this case I'm pretty sure the old air adjustable shocks or a pair of mechanically adjustable shocks would be much cheaper.

Experienced folks like JC and Red Devil seem to be impressed with these shocks, so when combined with the stiffer frame and swingarm maybe H-D has managed to actually come up with a better mousetrap. :confused5:   I hope so; it's about time they took suspension a little more seriously.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Is it just me, or is there something not quite right about the idea of using only one side to set preload?  Maybe with a Harley it doesn't matter all that much, but I was always taught that it was desireable to match left and right sides as closely as possible (forks and rear shocks) to provide the smoothest action without excessive binding or "stiction".  Then I switch to the H-D brand and find that they do silly stuff like using a damper rod in one side of the forks and a cartridge system in the other, with different characteristics constantly working against each other.  Talk about causing "stiction".  So now they take that same goofy idea and apply it to the rear of the bike, and only use one side to set ride height?  Seems wrong to me.  In fact, I originally assumed there was a little hydraulic line that connected the two shocks, just like the air line on the air adjustable shocks.  I was totally "shocked" when I perused the first example at the local dealership and found no interconnecting line.

Jerry

Forks and swingarms are too different animals.  If either system is structurally sound, effects will be transfered from one side to the other with no problem.  There will be additional forces (twisting for instance) added to the structure and bearing surfaces.  One of my Moto Guzzis had 42mm (I think) fork tubes,and one side handled adjustable rebound, the other adjustable compression.  This system worked quite well.  Any engineering decision is based on expected performance (what the customer expects, what the engineer expects it to do), testing (finite element analysis, real world experience), and cost.  Roll all 3 factors into something that everyone (customers. engineers, bean counters) can live with, and you get single sided adjustment.
Spada84
NoSofa!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »

Me too.  First, I'd like to see the reasoning for abandoning the air shocks, which have to be dirt cheap for the MoCo to buy.  Second, I'd like to see the reasoning for the "one side only" preload adjustment.  Is it to make folks who are used to just loosening one saddlebag to check and adjust air pressure happy?  As much as I like Boatman's answer (cheap), in this case I'm pretty sure the old air adjustable shocks or a pair of mechanically adjustable shocks would be much cheaper.

Experienced folks like JC and Red Devil seem to be impressed with these shocks, so when combined with the stiffer frame and swingarm maybe H-D has managed to actually come up with a better mousetrap. :confused5:   I hope so; it's about time they took suspension a little more seriously.

Jerry
Jerry,
I don't really get into the mechanics of why the MoCo does what they do, because to be quite honest, alot of the things they do baffle the hell out of me.  I know with this shock setup one shock is supposedly for damping and the other for rebound.  Whatever they did or how they did, IMO, they have a winner with this suspension.  It's tight in the twisties and provides a taut ride.  The only thing that I've noticed is that certain bumps I've driven over with this suspension are more pronounced then they are with the air suspension on the SEUC.  But I still prefer the ride.  Like JC, for me, they're a keeper.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:05 PM »

Jerry,
I don't really get into the mechanics of why the MoCo does what they do, because to be quite honest, alot of the things they do baffle the hell out of me.  I know with this shock setup one shock is supposedly for damping and the other for rebound.  Whatever they did or how they did, IMO, they have a winner with this suspension.  It's tight in the twisties and provides a taut ride.  The only thing that I've noticed is that certain bumps I've driven over with this suspension are more pronounced then they are with the air suspension on the SEUC.  But I still prefer the ride.  Like JC, for me, they're a keeper.

Devil you rather these over the Air on the ultra?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »

Devil you rather these over the Air on the ultra?

They both have their benefits, but overall, I'd say yes, I like the hydraulic shocks over the air shocks. 

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.