Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Hyd shocks  (Read 16530 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Hyd shocks
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

They both have their benefits, but overall, I'd say yes, I like the hydraulic shocks over the air shocks. 

:devil:

Thanks

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

They seem to wrk fairly well but I'm curious how they'll hold up. I'll keep an eye out for the leak issue. I suspect that like most stock shocks after a couple thousand miles they will need replaced.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Twisty Joe

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 12:25:29 AM »

My HD dealer (Louisville Harley) replaced my shock even though I had my mods on the bike (pipes and power commander) no questions asked.  I am  :orange:
2012 SE Street Glide

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »

My HD dealer (Louisville Harley) replaced my shock even though I had my mods on the bike (pipes and power commander) no questions asked.  I am  :orange:

Joe- Did you have a leak, and if so, where?  Just curious where to look on mine, thanks,   
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Twisty Joe

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

Mine completely drained out of the bottom right side of shock.  Look at the bottom of shock or run your finger over them, u will know.  Mine left a puddle of oil too.... :oops:
2012 SE Street Glide

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »

Mine completely drained out of the bottom right side of shock.  Look at the bottom of shock or run your finger over them, u will know.  Mine left a puddle of oil too.... :oops:

Thanks Joe, will check that out.    :nixweiss:
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »

Joe.....Checked mine and so far ok.....however, before yours puked the oil was there any warning? .......felt odd when riding?......anything?
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »

I've had stock shocks that have never leaked (7k on these) and I've had top drawer shocks that have leaked.  Many of us right here on this forum had the Progressive 440 shocks leak.  The good thing about it is as long as you have your receipt, Progressive will rebuild them for you.

Shocks are one of those things with many moving parts with fluid behind them.....some are going to leak. :nixweiss:

Russ, my experience is the first thing you notice is the shock oil all over the shock (and often the bike).  It's still rideable although it may be a little rougher ride.  Some people don't notice any difference.....I've pointed out to two members that their shocks were leaking.  Sometimes, you'll just happen to notice it before they do. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:05:34 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »

OK, what's the secret on adjusting rear shocks. I know you turn the knob on the left shock, but mine seem to be very hard to turn. Afraid I am going to break the knob off trying to turn this thing. Anybody else have this problem. Maybe I just need to turn the dam thing harder. :nixweiss:

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »

OK, what's the secret on adjusting rear shocks. I know you turn the knob on the left shock, but mine seem to be very hard to turn. Afraid I am going to break the knob off trying to turn this thing. Anybody else have this problem. Maybe I just need to turn the dam thing harder. :nixweiss:

Mine came from the moco set to "0" (lowest) so it would only turn one direction at first.
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »

Mine was on "O" also.  But as I turned it, it quickly got tighter (harder to turn) in just a few turns. 

Other than that, I'm happy with those shocks.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »

Mine was on "O" also.  But as I turned it, it quickly got tighter (harder to turn) in just a few turns. 

Other than that, I'm happy with those shocks.
That's exactly how mine are JC, it only seems to turn a couple or three turns before it gets to hard to turn. Is that as far as it goes? Don't seem like there is much of a adjustment.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »

That's exactly how mine are JC, it only seems to turn a couple or three turns before it gets to hard to turn. Is that as far as it goes? Don't seem like there is much of a adjustment.

I don't know how many turns there are available (the manual says at least 19), but if you look in the owner's manual it tells you how many turns to do to adjust for the weight of the driver and pax.  The knob is supposed to "click" every full turn.  (It does, but it's not very loud).  You back the knob down to "zero" and then start your turns "up".  I adjusted mine 10 turns (clicks).  It was getting harder to turn, but I wouldn't have had any problem adjusting more if I would have had to.  I don't think it should be that hard to turn after only a couple of turns after you've backed it down to zero.  

:devil:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:10:15 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »

I adjusted mine when I had the tour pack and passenger so it's set up pretty stiff.  I've never backed it back down.  But I'm sure it wasn't ten turns......I don't even think it was five turns. 

If I've got time tomorrow I'm going to go out there and turn it back to zero and start over.  I'll count the turns back down, also, just out of curiousity. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »

$404 and $227 respectively, so a complete set would be about $631 MSRP.  Hmmm, that's up in the neighborhood of some of the better aftermarket stuff, like a set of custom built Works Performance units.

Jerry

At the "new products" listing it seems that these hyd shocks now are available as a set HD 54680-10 for $ 499.95
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448774797&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&bmUID=1265532809224&bmLocale=en_US
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.