Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: oil  (Read 2612 times)

tarinil

oil
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »

I currently use syn20-50.Amsoil has a 75-90 gear oil and transmission oil.Can this be used or is it too thick?

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
Re: oil
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »

I bought a case of Amsoil 20w50 syn and I'm planning on using in all orifices. I think I made the right decision. Also Amsoil oil filter.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »

I currently use syn20-50.Amsoil has a 75-90 gear oil and transmission oil.Can this be used or is it too thick?

Gear oil and motor oil viscosities are rated on different scales, and a 50 weight motor oil is similar in viscosity to a 90 weight gear oil.  So to answer your question, a 75w90 gear oil is the proper viscosity for your transmission.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:01:06 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

Further
HD Formula oil has EP additives. Do not run engine oil in the transmission. It is a constant mesh gear train and needs a EP additive package. If Amsoil is your choice run a gear oil. The bearings and gears will love you for it.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:08 PM »

Try a search on oil, or trans oil, there are a bunch of threads on this subject.

Craig

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »

I bought a case of Amsoil 20w50 syn and I'm planning on using in all orifices. I think I made the right decision. Also Amsoil oil filter.
what oil filter are you using, you got an item #
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

I don't use them but, here are the Amsoil oil filter numbers for 09 1800cc engine
EaOM134 Black
EaOM134C  Chrome
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »

Check out the purepower filters. Nice pieces and no more replacements, just clean it.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »

Check out the purepower filters. Nice pieces and no more replacements, just clean it.
is that frompurolator. heard not to use it

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/item.asp?cmd=dsplyItem&itemKey=684
Endorsed and sold by a pretty sharp dude, Dan Baisley.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »

ok, I like that, a bit pricey but it is lifetime. It's not the Purolator one I was talking about. good technology

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »

$200 for a filter that filters less than the stock $13 filter isn't what I would consider to be a bargain.  The claims all center around racing and increased power, which is accomplished by reducing the restriction through the filter.  How do you reduce the restriction?  Increase the size of the holes in the media to allow oil to pass through easier and eliminate the multiple layers of the paper types.  Just imagine, if you can gain 5 hp with this filter, I'll bet you could gain 10 if you just used the cannister and left the filter element out. 

We kicked this subject around a couple times in the past, and no one has ever been able to show an independent test result that says this filter removes as much or more crud than the cheap treated paper filters.  In fact, I never could find such information even on their own website.  They gloss over that, and instead talk about 5 horsepower increases.  That's fine for racing where engines get torn down and rebuilt often, not so fine for someone who just wants his street engine to last as long as possible.  As they often say, there is no free lunch, and if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 09:07:16 AM »

I totally agree with most of what you said.

I would in no way expect any power added by this product substituted for the OEM filter. I believe that 20 micron filtering "absolute" is equal to or better than HD's 5 micron "nominal" although I can't prove that because HD has no test standards they cite as adhering to or any reference to how they established this 5 micron number. For all I know they may be the same filters they sold as 10 micron.

So this begs the questions, if we substitute filters with any aftermarket filter will it satisfy warranty requirements? Just because the HD filter is advertised as "5 micron" what percentage of fines are allowed to pass in the <20 micron range? What percentage of oil goes over bypass and at what differential pressure does that happen at?
BTW a hint on why Baisley and I both like the purepower filter has to do with heat reduction.

Bottom line I am not talking sales here I don't sell the product and due to the price I don't feel it is the right part for everyone, especially when the HD black filters are 8 bucks more or less, just another option and a good one IMO and IME.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »

$200 for a filter that filters less than the stock $13 filter isn't what I would consider to be a bargain.  The claims all center around racing and increased power, which is accomplished by reducing the restriction through the filter.  How do you reduce the restriction?  Increase the size of the holes in the media to allow oil to pass through easier and eliminate the multiple layers of the paper types.  Just imagine, if you can gain 5 hp with this filter, I'll bet you could gain 10 if you just used the cannister and left the filter element out. 

We kicked this subject around a couple times in the past, and no one has ever been able to show an independent test result that says this filter removes as much or more crud than the cheap treated paper filters.  In fact, I never could find such information even on their own website.  They gloss over that, and instead talk about 5 horsepower increases.  That's fine for racing where engines get torn down and rebuilt often, not so fine for someone who just wants his street engine to last as long as possible.  As they often say, there is no free lunch, and if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Jerry

When I was involved in road racing (for about 40 of my past 50 years), we used a similiar type filter (Oberg) in addition to a high performance Fram racing oil filter.  The oil routed thru the Oberg - then thru the Fram...  The main purpose of using the Oberg was a quick way to inspect for any motor issues between on track sessions.  Most used the cleanable filter for this purpose, and few used it without also using a conventional filter...  FWIW...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you about the Amsoil oil filter # EaOM134C My mechanic ordered it from his dealer. I'm sure Amsoil has it on there website.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.