Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Harley press release, Buell and MV  (Read 15141 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Re: Buell is no more
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

WOW, I thought he was going to cry.
It was like he was reading a eulogy at a funeral.
I have owned 3 Buells and enjoyed each one.
This is sad.

SBB

Yes it is, and I hope people on this site READ the Buell story. I think one or two have no clue
about how it started. I do think HD should have taken clues from Buell, on how th improve
Harley motorcycles. Just my 2 cents.
The "TAZMUN"

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »

Yes it is, and I hope people on this site READ the Buell story. I think one or two have no clue
about how it started. I do think HD should have taken clues from Buell, on how th improve
Harley motorcycles. Just my 2 cents.

I agree!!!

This was a niche motorcycle with a solid customer and performance backing.It could survive n my assessment if it wnetindependent and scaled back to service the specialty market tha it built over the year.s

As far a MV Austa goes their moters are terrific!! I thinking that it might end up in one of our newly redesigned FL frames as the first water cooled Harley.

Harley seems to be following the car industry business model before it's too late--Reduce the number of models/brands adn focus on making them the absolute best products in the market. couple that with state-of-the -art manufacturing processes adn technolgy and the company will survive but at a smaller scale. 

I think the 2010 CVO Street Glide is an example of what they want to morph into.

I hope they do make it as I am sure lots of you guys do.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Harley press release, Buell and MV
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »

Not sure that I agree the the Motoco is doing anything differently. They are not even saying anything differently about what they are "going to do". I guess part of the love hate relationship I have with them is trying to understand how they can have such a good thing going and pay so little attention to the real issues that bite all of the owners. you would think if the mindset was right that after making a v twin for 100 years they could almost make a perfect drivetrain. But they don't. And the MotoCo has by far the worst customer support I have ever encountered. :soapbox: But before I rant to much I will remind everyone that I too am a Harley owner/rider. Hard to put my head around it. Why do I ride a bike thats half as good as a BMW for twice the price, not sure but I do. It really saddens me because I see the loss of an american icon in the future.

Mike

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:42:39 PM by OldLefty »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »

Not sure that I agree the the Motoco is doing anything differently. They are not even saying anything differently about what they are "going to do". I guess part of the love hate relationship I have with them is trying to understand how they can have such a good thing going and pay so little attention to the real issues that bite all of the owners. you would think if the mindset was right that after making a v twin for 100 years they could almost make a perfect drivetrain. But they don't. And the MotoCo has by far the worst customer support I have ever encountered. :soapbox: But before I rant to much I will remind everyone that I too am a Harley owner/rider. Hard to put my head around it. Why do I ride a bike thats half as good as a BMW for twice the price, not sure but I do. It really saddens me because I see the loss of an american icon in the future.

Mike

I agree, but the bottom line is the ALMIGHTY stockholder!
I have a number of friends that work for the company, and all they ever hear
"how much faster", and "where can we buy it cheaper"!

That's the real problem with publicly owned companies.....
It's not about history or family......it's the dollar.

Sad sad, just sad!
The "TAZMUN"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »

WOW, I thought he was going to cry.
It was like he was reading a eulogy at a funeral.
I have owned 3 Buells and enjoyed each one.
This is sad.

SBB

Yep - very sad.

I feel for Eric Buell - his life's work - his namesake..  I suspect he did shed some tears...

It is rare that a company can cut and shrink their way to prosperity.  I never did understand the MV Augusta acquisition.  I think they lost their way with Buell products with their marketing strategy.  I hope the MOCO knows what their doing.... :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »

I hope the MOCO knows what their doing.... :nixweiss:

Jesus Scott, we've been hoping for that to happen again for years.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »

Eric said in his announcement that he would still be with HD. This might help HD in the R&D department.
Hope they put his knowledge to good use
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
HD Announcement 10/15 Bye Bye Buell
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »

Press Release today:
HARLEY-DAVIDSON ANNOUNCES 3RD QUARTER RESULTS, UNVEILS LONG-TERM BUSINESS STRATEGY

Retail Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Sales Decline Moderates from 2nd Quarter

Operating Loss at Finance Unit Impacts Profit

Company to Discontinue Buell Product Line, Divest MV Agusta

MILWAUKEE , October, 15, 2009 – Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) announced decreased revenue, net income and earnings per share for the third quarter of 2009 compared to the year-ago period, while reporting a moderation in the decline of retail new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales compared to the second quarter.

Worldwide retail sales of new Harley-Davidson® motorcycles declined 21.3 percent in the third quarter compared to last year’s third quarter, an improvement from the 30.1 percent decline in this year’s second quarter.  An 84.1 percent decline in net income and an 84.5 percent decline in diluted earnings per share from the year-ago quarter reflected lower motorcycle shipments and the effects of the economy on retail and wholesale loan performance at Harley-Davidson Financial Services.

Harley-Davidson also unveiled major elements of its go-forward business strategy to drive growth through a single-minded focus of efforts and resources on the unique strengths of the Harley-Davidson brand, and to enhance productivity and profitability through continuous improvement. As approved yesterday by Harley-Davidson’s Board of Directors, the Company will discontinue its Buell product line and divest its MV Agusta unit as part of this strategy.

“While the environment remains challenging for us, we are mildly encouraged by the moderation in the decline of dealer retail Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales,” said Keith Wandell, Chief Executive Officer of Harley-Davidson, Inc. “And moving forward, our strategy is designed to strengthen Harley-Davidson for long-term growth and deliver results through increased focus.                       

“As our announcement regarding Buell and MV Agusta indicates, we are moving with the speed and decisiveness required to bring our business strategy to life,” said Wandell.  “The fact is we must focus both our effort and our investment on the Harley-Davidson brand, as we believe this provides an optimal path to sustained, meaningful, long-term growth.”

Third Quarter and Nine-Month Results

Net income for the third quarter was $26.5 million, compared to $166.5 million in the third quarter of 2008, on revenue of $1.12 billion, compared to $1.42 billion in the year-ago period. Diluted earnings per share were $0.11 for the third quarter of 2009 and $0.71 in the year-ago period.

Through nine months, Harley-Davidson, Inc. reported net income of $163.6 million, down 71.6 percent and diluted earnings per share of $0.70, down 71.4 percent from the year-ago period. Revenue through nine months was $3.57 billion, down 17.1 percent from the same period last year.

"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

All I can say is that I have purchased 3 Buells, ( currently own an 04 XB 12R ) and they have all been trouble  free, can't say that about the 6 Harleys I have owned. I was going to buy an 1125R, not so sure any more, might become difficult to obtain parts, for the Rotax engined Buell. Feel like I have lost a friend.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »

I think it's a shame for H-D to stop production of the Buell and sell MV Agusta. My .02 is that H-D needs to attract a younger rider that doesn't have a lot of disposable income but wants a dependable bike with performance that comes right out of the showroom and they don't have to spend thousands to get it to run well. I don't believe that a new paint job or chrome bits on a Sportster will entice a younger rider away from the imports.
For anyone looking for a Buell, I just got an email from Hampton Roads H-D and Southside H-D in Virginia : they are selling the Buell blast for $1,000 off and the other Buells for $3,000 off (I am guessing MSRP prices) this month. Their email stated they would honnor warranties for Buells as well.

knuck45

• Junior CVO Member
  • Triple Red SERG
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »

Is the VROD next?
SERG Sgt.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »

You have to believe there are a few NHRA Pro motorcycle Buell teams scrambling right about now also...... :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »

So what is H-D gonna run at the track? I know they use the V-Rod for drag stuff but the circle track?
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »

So what is H-D gonna run at the track? I know they use the V-Rod for drag stuff but the circle track?
They've already exited from flat track racing......just into drag racing as far as I can tell.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 25 queries.