Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gerbings G3 Gloves question  (Read 776 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Gerbings G3 Gloves question
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »

Finally made the leap to a set of heated gloves, and settled on the new G3 Microwire model.  Had my first opportunity to use them this weekend on a trip from Pittsburgh to Atlanta (damn cold for October!), and had mixed results.  On Friday - the first day of the ride - it worked great from Pittsburgh to Lexington, KY.  I had to keep the thermostat about 1/2 of the way up.  The next day, it seemed to have lost some oomph, and I had to have it cranked all the way up, even though the temps were getting warmer as I went further south.  By the time that I was about 90 miles from Atlanta, they had gone stone cold, and would no longer put out any heat.  I checked all of the connections, but it was dead.  Today, I removed the seat & looked at the fuse, and it was not blown.  I reconnected the gloves, and they were working again.

So, now I am concerned and confused.  Did I overwork them on the way down?  What would cause them to have such variable output?  I would think that these should last several seasons before crapping out on me.  After needing three heated seats, three sets of heated handgrips, and now this - I'm starting to get paranoid.  My expectations are now to expect failure, and be pleasantly surprised if something works.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: Gerbings G3 Gloves question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »

I'd check voltage from the thermostat.  Quick check, plug the glove harness directly into the battery harness and see if they heat up...if so, the thermostat is bad....if not, maybe you got the one in a million bad pair.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »

That was the first thing that I tried - should have mentioned it.  Plugging directly into the harness made no difference yesterday, and the gloves remained cold as ice.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »

Check to make sure you have voltage at the harness.  Even if the fuse is good, slight chance the harness is bad.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 20 queries.