Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??  (Read 11966 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

It must be a Garmin thing because I can't do any PC routing and downloading for my Magellan 4250.  It's a great GPS unit, but like these IGOs, what you see it what you get.

:devil:

There are some pirate sites that claim to have iGO8 to pc software downloads. Has anyone had any luck with one of these sites ?  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »

I emailed the seller about transferring the files from the 2GB card to a 4GB card, and he said it can be done. The 4GB non-HC's are hard to find but I found one on line, the SDHC's won't work on my laptop or the GPS. I was surprised with another feature last night...the screen changes automatically when it gets dark outside. I tried watching a slide show on the picture viewer while navigating and it won't let you do it, so I guess watching a movie while riding won't work either...unless you turn off the navigator. Looks like I could hand it off to Terry if she gets bored and she could play games, watch of movie, or read a ebook...but that's not why we ride. I'll probably use it mostly to play music through the radio (wireless) and use the gps occasionally to find stuff like gas stations, motels, restaurants.
I use GPS on my boat all the time, but this auto/bike stuff is new to me as you can tell. Some of the best bike trips I've ever taken involved being lost at least part of the time. The depression of slowly running out of gas, and the high of finding a open station just in time. :zstupid: The joy of being unconnected to world for hours and days at a time is the best part of the ride and now this !!  I just packed it up and put it in the closet.  :P 

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Some of the best bike trips I've ever taken involved being lost at least part of the time. The depression of slowly running out of gas, and the high of finding a open station just in time. :zstupid:

Doc

The GPS-corrolary to that is one of my favorite part of the devices Doc.  Like you my best rides have often been non-destinatory travel (read: lost so far couldn't find my zipper if I had to).  Just heading that-a-way to see what's to be found.

The down side to such activities once in awhile has been that "oh chit" moment when you wonder if you've pushed it a bit too far, don't have a clue where you are and wonder if you might literally be pushing it.  That's when I now turn on the GPS and let it help.  Nice little tool for remembering how to get back to the hotel, fuel stop or whatever.  Actually allows more unstructured travel rather than limiting it that way.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

According to the ebay adv you can use it next time your in Bosnia! 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

According to the ebay adv you can use it next time your in Bosnia! 

...is that over by Ohio ??     

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

I just got the RAM cradle for the Garmin Nuvi 1490 and it fit perfect with a little trimming for the power cord. You need the power cord to transmit through the FM radio/speakers ...acts like a antenna. I've used it for a few hours now and found that MP3 with bluetooth work well together. Navigating works best when other devices are not running at the same time. So far its been a handy little gadget. Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »

Doc, did it come with any type of auto mount or dock?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »

Doc, did it come with any type of auto mount or dock?

It came with a adjustable mount with a suction cup and cradle. The cradle is ok for a car but probably not secure enough for a bike so I ordered just the RAM cradle from a marine supply store.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »

It came with a adjustable mount with a suction cup and cradle. The cradle is ok for a car but probably not secure enough for a bike so I ordered just the RAM cradle from a marine supply store.  Doc

Thanks Lou.  My sis isn't the greatest navigator in the world and her work has her driving to and in different cities and towns with some regularity.  She might get one for Christmas.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »

I had a chance to play with the video player all morning and found it works well when downloads are converted to the flash format and played through the radio speakers. Playing music vidios at night would probably be a cop magnet though.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

I had a chance to play with the video player all morning and found it works well when downloads are converted to the flash format and played through the radio speakers. Playing music vidios at night would probably be a cop magnet though.  Doc

Had one show up on today's mail.  Took right at three weeks from Hong Kong.  Haven't opened the package yet.  Will have to play with it just a bit before Christmas so can answer all the questions my sister will have about using.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

Had one show up on today's mail.  Took right at three weeks from Hong Kong.  Haven't opened the package yet.  Will have to play with it just a bit before Christmas so can answer all the questions my sister will have about using.

...for music convert to mp3, for videos convert to flash. There are some good free video converters out there that work well with anything on Utube. The bluetooth and GPS work best without any other program playing. I don't know what model you got, but if its the 2GB you might want to get a 4GB non HC SD card for more music and videos. Copy the files on the 2GB card when you first play with it and transfer all of them, one at a time, onto the 4GB card and every thing will work fine.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »

...for music convert to mp3, for videos convert to flash. There are some good free video converters out there that work well with anything on Utube. The bluetooth and GPS work best without any other program playing. I don't know what model you got, but if its the 2GB you might want to get a 4GB non HC SD card for more music and videos. Copy the files on the 2GB card when you first play with it and transfer all of them, one at a time, onto the 4GB card and every thing will work fine.

Doc

I got the unit they described as:

5.0" GPS NAV+Bluetooth+FM Transmitter+2GB SD Card G50

So whatever is onboard nearly fills the 2 gig card?  To play with anything else you need the larger card?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »

I got the unit they described as:

5.0" GPS NAV+Bluetooth+FM Transmitter+2GB SD Card G50

So whatever is onboard nearly fills the 2 gig card?  To play with anything else you need the larger card?

I think the 2GB card has about 200mb left on it. You could download quite a few songs and music videos on it, but a cheap 4GB non HC can of course be better. Make sure you save the files on the stock card first just in case she gets a 4GB later.
Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »

I think the 2GB card has about 200mb left on it. You could download quite a few songs and music videos on it, but a cheap 4GB non HC can of course be better. Make sure you save the files on the stock card first just in case she gets a 4GB later.
Doc

Appreciate the heads up Doc.  Could have easily turned it on to check against DOA and wrapped it for Christmas only to later have her yank the card for more music. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.