Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??  (Read 11964 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

I took a chance last week and ordered a 5", bluetooth, FM transmitter to car/bike radio speakers, video viewer, MP3 player...from China. I've had it for about 3 days and the dam thing works. It looks like a Garmin 1450 and has iGO 8 maps with 3D and all that stuff. Terry says to get off the computer for now, but I'll report more later. Oh, by the way, I paid 103.50 with free shipping on ebay for it.  Doc
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:17:01 PM by grandpadoc »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »

I took a chance last week and ordered a 5", bluetooth, FM transmitter to car/bike radio speakers, video viewer, MP3 player...from China. I've had it for about 3 days and the damb thing works. It looks like a Garmin 1450 and has iGO 8 maps with 3D and all that stuff. Terry says to get off the computer for now, but I'll report more later. Oh, by the way, I paid 103.50 with free shipping on ebay for it.  Doc

Got a link to it?

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

:worthless:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »

Got a link to it?

This one comes with a 2GB SD card and its already up to 1.7GB  for the program. I noticed they have a 4GB and 8GB now which would use the newer SDHC cards I would think. If you scroll around they even offer a wireless backup camera.   Doc

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-0-GPS-NAV-Bluetooth-FM-Transmitter-2GB-SD-Card-G50_W0QQitemZ220502148130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item3356f3c422

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »

Here is the pdf for the iGO 8 mapping system. They have everyting the Garmin has as far as I could see. I measured it with calipers and its the same size as the Garmin 1450 so I ordered a new plate for my RAM holder.

The only quirk so far is that if you have too many functions running at the same time it runs out of memory eventually. So I just run bluetooth and gps, or gps and music, but not all three. I ordered a 4GB card for more music and picture downloads. It has a video player so watching a movie or reading a book while riding is possible.  :o  Doc

http://www.navngo.com/content/language/eng/dl/UM/iGO8_UserManual_English_UK.pdf

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »

Interesting gear.  Found their listing with BiN for about $122 and the same unit with a wireless remote camera for about $140.  Only thing I didn't find in the online listings or in the PDF you linked was any mention of an IPX or other weather tight spec.  Would be nice to know if it'd die in the rain.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »

Interesting gear.  Found their listing with BiN for about $122 and the same unit with a wireless remote camera for about $140.  Only thing I didn't find in the online listings or in the PDF you linked was any mention of an IPX or other weather tight spec.  Would be nice to know if it'd die in the rain.

The user manual doen't list a IPX spec. I was on Froogle and someone listed a waterproof case and bike mount for the Garmin 1450 though.

Doc

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

I seriously doubt, at those prices, that the units are water resistant, let alone weather resistant and would meet IPX standards.  They'll probably work fine in a vehicle, but doubt they'll last through the first rain shower....JMO...

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »

I seriously doubt, at those prices, that the units are water resistant, let alone weather resistant and would meet IPX standards.  They'll probably work fine in a vehicle, but doubt they'll last through the first rain shower....JMO...

Manufacturer not specifying that it is almost certainly means that it is not IPX 7 or 8.  So you'd not want to shower with this thing.  Still a dandy price if it's got any kind of a life span though.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

Manufacturer not specifying that it is almost certainly means that it is not IPX 7 or 8.  So you'd not want to shower with this thing.  Still a dandy price if it's got any kind of a life span though.

At the prices you quoted for all the features they have, if you got a year's use out of them, they'd be worth it.  Those are almost "throw-away" prices.

2012 FLHXSE3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

In SoCal that probably wouldn't be an issue, but if you did get caught in the rain it could just go in your pocket, or like on the RG one of the fairing compartments and listen to the directions or music through the radio/speakers. The RAM Aqua cover looks like it would take care of weather though.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »

At the prices you quoted for all the features they have, if you got a year's use out of them, they'd be worth it.  Those are almost "throw-away" prices.

In general I'd agree with the premise.  The downside to accepting the regularity of potential failure like that though is the damn things will die at an inoportune time.  Makes you almost have to buy two to carry the extra for redundancy.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »

In general I'd agree with the premise.  The downside to accepting the regularity of potential failure like that though is the damn things will die at an inoportune time.  Makes you almost have to buy two to carry the extra for redundancy.

I tend to plan a trip with a pc map like Microsoft's streets and trips and print it. There you can see the two laners and what's near by easier. I can't find any pc based software for iGO8 to plan and load. The unit does have the via feature though, but I'd rather do that kind of stuff on a pc or laptop.
There is a challenge for twolane...find the pc software on a dvd for me.
Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »

I tend to plan a trip with a pc map like Microsoft's streets and trips and print it. There you can see the two laners and what's near by easier. I can't find any pc based software for iGO8 to plan and load. The unit does have the via feature though, but I'd rather do that kind of stuff on a pc or laptop.
There is a challenge for twolane...find the pc software on a dvd for me.
Doc

Looks like iGO8 is a mobile device only platform made to run on Windows mobile.  Designe only for PDA and other portable hardware.  An admittedly quick look here also didn't fine anything to bring it in a PC.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »

Looks like iGO8 is a mobile device only platform made to run on Windows mobile.  Designe only for PDA and other portable hardware.  An admittedly quick look here also didn't fine anything to bring it in a PC.
It must be a Garmin thing because I can't do any PC routing and downloading for my Magellan 4250.  It's a great GPS unit, but like these IGOs, what you see it what you get.

2012 FLHXSE3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.