Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: Anyone have the new 2010 Progressive Monotube Cart System?  (Read 32679 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: Anyone have the new 2010 Progressive Monotube Cart System?
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2011, 01:05:34 PM »

convinced , the monotubes will come in my fork . Ordered them in the morning , but not at the dealer , he has soooooo much to do, can`t listen to his words anymore , so i ordered at an independent harley-garage - a very good man , he also did my ape .  
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »

Regardless of what you put in the front end...as mentioned earlier, it's not the new parts that contaminate the fork oil, it's the stock HD parts that remain, particularly the bushing.  If I'm not mistaken, it is made of a realtively soft metal (brass?), and has a coating similar to Teflon, if it's not actually Teflon.  They wear quickly.  The coating wears off, contaminating the oil, in addition to the metal particles from the bushing itself.  Any bike with a traditional type of fork has springs in the fork...that's one of the things that control the compression of the front forks, the sag, etc.  Also, another factor...I hear a lot about folks thinking that doing work like this "raises" the bike, whether it's front fork work or rear shocks...it does, but it's not because the travel of the fork/shock has changed, it's because there is less sag in the suspension, and if the suspension is set up properly, there is a more appropriate level of sag (necessary for proper operation of the suspension) than with the stock crap.  Just take a stock bike off the kickstand and watch how much the front end sags with the weight actually on the fork springs...then you add a passenger, luggage, blah, blah, blah and the performance of the suspension is further compromised, i.e. less potential travel before bottoming out.  These bikes aren't race bikes, and don't need that kind of suspension performance, but they also don't have to ride/drive like a Buick 225 with bad shocks. ;)  It really sucks that HD can't come up with at least a mediocre suspension system for their top of the line touring bikes, instead of using the cheapest chit out there, and low bid at that.

Personally, I would recommend changing the fork oil at least at the recommended intervals, in addition to the bushing and any other parts that are subject to wear, like seals.

Also, depending on the material used in construction of the springs, the constant compression/rebound of the spring causes some of the metal to "flake" off over time which is another contaminate of the oil.  So, change the oil, IMO.

Not saying that people don't go well over the 20-25K mark without servicing the forks...but, have you ever smelled overused fork oil?  It stinks really bad.  The problem with degradation of things like fork oil over time is that it happens so gradually, people don't notice and think everything is hunky-dorey because they have lost their basis for comparison.  It's the same thing as when you upgrade the suspension components...you very quckly forget how bad the old stuff was until you get on another bike without the upgrades.  THEN the difference is huge.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »

I spent a bit of time speaking with TN at Ribfest and he has me convinced that these are a great improvement. I think I will have my dealer install these. I have the D&D's ordered and the Outlawz bars that Kenny Lee has (12") so will have them take care of the Mono Tube at the same time.....

:drink:

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »

I think it might be a good idea to wait just a bit longer...
Reason being there have been several post where the new progressive cartriage system is make a substantial noise (popping) whether its lowered or in the stock height...
Progressive hasn't stepped up to the plate, they say they can't find anything wrong ,but if it needs replacing then its on your dime...
wait awhile longer and see what happens The R&D department rushed into this and didn't seem to do a lot of homework before introducing it to the public...
paul
Ride safe

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »

I think it might be a good idea to wait just a bit longer...  WHY? I have three bikes with the monotubes in them and they handle great.
Reason being there have been several post several post?, , , several post where? where the new progressive cartriage system is make a substantial noise (popping) whether its lowered or in the stock height... I know of 7 bikes that have done this system, no popping with them.
Progressive hasn't stepped up to the plate, Progressive has ALWAYS given me great service. they say they can't find anything wrong This could be an installation problem. ,but if it needs replacing then its on your dime... My experience is they stand behind their product, They can't stand behind installation.
wait awhile longer and see what happens The R&D department rushed Rushed? How do you figure that? You work there? into this and didn't seem to do a lot of homework before introducing it to the public... Sorry your having issues but the fact your having an issue doesn't mean it's a Progressive Suspension problem.
paul

^^^^^^^^^^

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »

I'm thinking this winter or spring for something to beef up the front and rear of the new SERG.

Sounds like a fairly simple install.

But first, I need to get back on the board track and finish it up.  No Craig, I have not restarted my work on the beast.  I thought I'd say that before you ask...  ;D

Dan, how did you know I was going to ask!! ::)  As I've probably overstated in several post, I have the Ricor Intiminators valves in my front end. I really like them, tightened up the front end bike handles much better and you can make some adjustment but how much fork oil you add.

Craig

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »

:-* :-* :-*

The monotubes are a great addition to the bike.  Handles better, brakes better, makes the bike feel planted to the road.

And substantially less expensive than the better Traxxion system.

No problems.  Put mine on the bike while it was brand new with 7 miles on it.

I wouldn't wait a second.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

I've got 10,000 miles on my Mono Tubes,  I put them in along with the Touring Link , really smoothed the ride out and no more death wobble at speed.

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

Thanks for the input guys. Went ahead with the order today. I will keep you posted. It will probably be at least 2 weeks from today.  :drink:

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »

I am thinking of ordering a set as well. For you guys with the 2009 SERG which ones are you going with? I have heard different stories on whether or not ours are lowered already or standard
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »

I am thinking of ordering a set as well. For you guys with the 2009 SERG which ones are you going with? I have heard different stories on whether or not ours are lowered already or standard
Look at the bottom edge of the fork bells. If the bottom edge is at the top of your fender
then your bike is standard height. If the bottom edge is an inch down the fender then your bike
is lowered.

I know this because my bike came lowered and I put the standard height monotubes in it to raise it
to stock height. I took measurements at the bottom edge of the fork bells.

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »

I put the stock height tubes in last spring. Put over 10k on them last year and not a problem. One of the best purchases I made.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »

Well I talked twice with progressive, and two mechanics at the local dealer and two forums.  Progressive always insisted SERG 2009 was stock height, one mechanic said stock one said inch lower.  Forums were not much help, split about 50 / 50.

I went with stock height mono tubes.  The bike front was 1/4 higher after the install.

bike had 25K on it when I had the install done.  I now have 32K on the bike, and its about 1/8 higher.

I would say the techs at progressive are correct, stock hight for a 2009 serg.

I like them so much, when I do the mods to my fatboy this winter it will get the monotubes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »

So we go with the stock height monotubes . Thanks
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:22 AM »

Any input on the mileage expectation on the monotubes before they need to be replaced.  I put a set on this winter and am pleased with the improvement.   Just wondering if anyone has worn out a set.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.