Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: Anyone have the new 2010 Progressive Monotube Cart System?  (Read 32648 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Anyone have the new 2010 Progressive Monotube Cart System?
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

Okay. Great discussion!! Here is how I (we) ride:

I weigh anywhere from 190-200 depending on the amount of ribs and beer I have consumed (the previous day...don't drink and ride!) My wife 120 max if she gains another 5 pounds. I ride 2 up most of the time (85%+). When we are doing day rides we ride with the average gear most do. When we travel for a long weekend somewhere we use a trunk bag, a bag on the luggage rack and the saddlebags stuffed with tools, chaps, raingear, sunscreen, etc.... as I am sure most do. I would say an average of 30 pounds publicly, but more like 40 realistically (including all the aforementioned bag compartments).

We live in Florida but love to take the occasional trip to NC, North GA and of course Kentucky for ribfest. The main complaint my wife had about the suspension I had on my last ultra was that it felt like it wanted to "lay down" in the corners as well as slow speed turns (turning into a restaurant from the main highway, parking lot etc). I had 440's on the rear (stock length) and a progressive spring insert in the front which cost about $100 for the springs. Don't know what they were called.

I do not ride overly aggressive most of the time, but don't mind being able to do so. I want a great handling suspension but not so stiff I feel like I am on a sport bike. I want to be able to take a corner aggressively but still have the smoothest, softest ride possible. I want to not have to tap my wife on the leg each time we are approaching an overpass, bridge or RR crossing so that she can lift her butt off of the seat so it doesn't jar her spine.

Yes, If I am paying $600-$1350 for any suspension, this is what I want.

Which would be the best choice for our riding style?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2011, 12:24:43 AM »

Yes, If I am paying $600-$1350 for any suspension, this is what I want.

Which would be the best choice for our riding style?

Best choice would probably be the Traxxion Dynamics up front / Bitubos or Ohlins in the rear. This is based on limited riding others scooters so equipped. However, I don't think you can get it done for the amount of money you noted. To me "best" would be necessary if I made my living riding, best gear available to get the job done.

Really damn good is the solution I ended up with. I ride mostly solo. Weigh 230's, pack rain gear and related items you listed. I ride somewhat aggressive at times. I have been more than satisfied with the Monotube front end and the Works BARS on the rear. The Works adjust very easily for the load and conditions you'll face. When I do ride two up, my lady says she really likes these shocks over the Ricors on my 02 SERK or the OE shocks on the 11 SESG. No bottoming out issues to date. FWIW.

JW

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »

... However, I don't think you can get it done for the amount of money you noted....

JW

I agree for front and rear. I was referring to just the fronts at the time but very good point. Rears will need to be done as well.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2011, 07:14:01 AM »

i thought the monotube front end would be good for ya after you described your previous bitubo experience. what ya going with on the rear?

traxxion ak-20 is a fine set-up. :2vrolijk_21:

TN

Very true TN. I am just re-thinking and getting more experiencial knowledge from others who have had/have on or the other. Not sure how much adjusting of the fronts I would need to do, but it's there IF I ever need to. PLUS if I do go with Traxion, it's a good excuse for a road trip to CHL with mama!!

I am getting the exhaust and bars changed here shortly (I hope...D&D is on back order) and I want to get some riding time in with the new bars before the change anyway.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »

Rob

Let me tell you what you need to do.

;)

Buy the traxxion front end work, buy the BiTubo's for the rear.
The above is the best of the best.
Anything less and you will always be second guessing yourself as to whether you bought the best.
Do that upfront and ride up to Maggie Valley in September so all of us can see you and Annette again.
Any other questions?

Oh, and bring Miker and Lisa with you.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

What Chip said... :2vrolijk_21:

The Traxxion will give you exactly what you're looking for.  The Bitubo shocks may take a little adjusting until you get them right.  If I didn't have to have the Legend Air for the rear because of my height, Bitubos would be on my bike right now.  The Legend Shocks are very good, especially when loaded down with two people and gear...one up and they are just a tad harsh.  To give you some idea:  My '06 SEUC had exactly what I've got on the SERGU now...Traxxion front, Legend rear, and we put at least 18K on the bike with that setup.  I also had an '06 SEVROD (Ken has it now) with Traxxion front and Bitubo rear.  Of course we could not "tour" on the Vrod, but for our around town and rides under 200 miles in a day, we would often take the Vrod.  My BSR remarked several times that the Vrod actually rode better than the SEUC, and I would have to agree.  The difference was the Bitubo shocks in the rear. The SEUC was fine with us and 40lbs of crap in the bags/trunk, but again, I needed to get my feet firmly planted on the ground when moving that bike around, so went with the Legends to do so.  I do not believe in permanently lowering a bike's suspension, especially a HD, which doesn't have much travel to begin with.

If you got to Woodstock, GA by 9:00AM one morning, you could be in CHL by 3:00 that afternoon.  They've already done one SERGU (mine), so they've got some practice  ;)

One other thing:  if you want the Bitubos, I would recommend talking to Dan and getting them ordered now...the Bitubo factory workers all go on Holiday the month of August.

If you plan on keeping this bike for a good while, you will find that this suspension upgrade is one of the best things you've done to the bike, and was money well spent.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2011, 12:36:43 PM »

Rob

Let me tell you what you need to do.

;)

Buy the traxxion front end work, buy the BiTubo's for the rear.
The above is the best of the best.
Anything less and you will always be second guessing yourself as to whether you bought the best.

You know me quite well my friend.  :huepfenlol2:  :drink:

Do that upfront and ride up to Maggie Valley in September so all of us can see you and Annette again.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

ANOTHER shameless plug for Maggie Valley.  :P You sure you ain't getting a commission on this GTG??  :huepfenlol2:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »

.... If I didn't have to have the Legend Air for the rear because of my height, Bitubos would be on my bike right now....

... but again, I needed to get my feet firmly planted on the ground when moving that bike around...

I found these for you so you can go ahead with the Bitubos. Let me know if you need the website link for purchase....

If you got to Woodstock, GA by 9:00AM one morning, you could be in CHL by 3:00 that afternoon.  They've already done one SERGU (mine), so they've got some practice  ;)

One other thing:  if you want the Bitubos, I would recommend talking to Dan and getting them ordered now...the Bitubo factory workers all go on Holiday the month of August.

If you plan on keeping this bike for a good while, you will find that this suspension upgrade is one of the best things you've done to the bike, and was money well spent.

Thanks for the heads up. Kenny Lee and I are contemplating a September or October ride to Traxxion -----> CHL, so good to know on the August thing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:43:44 PM by Robmay »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

Those shoes would do the trick  ;)  The only thing keeping me from ordering a pair is that I don't heel shift, and I don't think I could get the toe of that shoe under the shifter peg... ::)

So, which one of you two are going to ride bitch on the Honda Goldwing shop bike they loan you to go get lunch on?  I want pictures...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »

:huepfenlol2:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »

Those shoes would do the trick  ;)  The only thing keeping me from ordering a pair is that I don't heel shift, and I don't think I could get the toe of that shoe under the shifter peg... ::)

So, which one of you two are going to ride bitch on the Honda Goldwing shop bike they loan you to go get lunch on?  I want pictures...

I'm sure there is something withing riding distance. If not, Annette and I will bring Ken and Cheri something back.  :P

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »

:orange: :orange: :orange:

One point to considr, the progressives monoutbes and the 940's allow the bike to be lowered alomst 2" with no negative affect on the ride.

The 940's wok well as does the mononutubes.

that said, the Mercedes of suspensions is the Traxxion and Bitubos.

' :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »

Now after a few rides with the Prog. Monotubes i would say :

Good damping and cornering but no great  improvement to stock fork damping .

I should have gone with the traxxion dynamics front end , maybe i will replace them in some time . Hmmm , thinking about how to get the traxxion dynamic front end to germany , do we have a special dealer here for them ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »

Now after a few rides with the Prog. Monotubes i would say :

Good damping and cornering but no great  improvement to stock fork damping .

I should have gone with the traxxion dynamics front end , maybe i will replace them in some time . Hmmm , thinking about how to get the traxxion dynamic front end to germany , do we have a special dealer here for them ?

what do you have for rear shocks?

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »

:confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

On my bike, the monotubes made a huge difference, huge on damping.  A dramatic improvement over stock.  So much so that a couple of my buddies rode the bike for a few hundred miles and are now installing the shocks themselves.  I installed them on the bike with only 300 miles on the bike.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.