Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive 716 Air Dragger Shocks - Anyone using them.?  (Read 2111 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Progressive 716 Air Dragger Shocks - Anyone using them.?
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

We just got Mel (Dactyl) a 2007 FLHX in near perfect condition and completely stock with 2K miles on it.

My challenge is now modd'ing the bike for her to sit comfortably on it.  She's only 5' 4" with a Hobbit like inseam. Last night I installed the Corbin Close solo seat for her and her heels are still  two inches from hitting the ground with her boots on.

I went to the progressive web site and starting researching shock options. My wife weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 145 pounds. I'm a mere 165 pounds myself.  So if we were to ride two up for any reason on her SG, I'm not too concerned since we both ride solo and riding two up would only happen on very rare occasions. So I really want the bike set up exclusively for her.

The fella at Progressive suggested the Air Draggers because they can be adjusted to easily to allow me to lower the rear two inches.  It would be up to me to determine how low I could go before bottoming out and I could adjust from there.  Even if I could get 1.5" lower in the rear, I think that would benefit her greatly.  Has anyone successfully and safety been able to lower their SG that low..???

I need suggestions and or ideas...  I thought the seat would be the 1st line of attack.. and that's not working out too well.

2nd would be the rear shocks. Looking for the cheapest and safest solution. The progressive air draggers are about $300 a pair which comapred to the Arnots are more far more affordable if they work equally as well.

3rd I imagine would be the front shocks. And since the front lowers haven't been chromed yet...  I may kill two birds with one stone... Thoughts or suggestions..?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

This Pic shows how far her heal sits off the ground

Pics showing new seat

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Progressive 716 Air Dragger Shocks - Anyone using them.?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:43:53 AM »

Wow!!!! Congrats Mel!!! As you both know I'm 5'4" also with a 29" inseam. I think Mel may have sat on my bike while she was here? I do have the Arnott shocks which I love. Matt...I also have lowered the front with the HD kit. I do have the Corbin close solo and that helped alot....but it's another expensive idea. What seat did you get her? I've heard some good things about a company called bitchin baggers
http://bitchinbaggers.com/   but don't know anyone personally that have used them. I was very close to trying them and then decided on the Arnott shocks, as Jim, HD dude knew about them. Feel free to ask any more questions and congrats again to Mel!! She's got a beautiful bike and she's gonna love it!! :2vrolijk_21:

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:56:43 AM »

Wow!!!! Congrats Mel!!! As you both know I'm 5'4" also with a 29" inseam. I think Mel may have sat on my bike while she was here? I do have the Arnott shocks which I love. Matt...I also have lowered the front with the HD kit. I do have the Corbin close solo and that helped alot....but it's another expensive idea. What seat did you get her?

Hi Mel, thanks for quick response.  We really had great time visiting with you all earlier this year. And My Mel recalls sitting on your SG and finding it very comfy.

I put a Corbin Close solo on hers too but the actual width of the seat really didn't change much from the stock. and even though the Corbin looks great, it's really doesn't lower or move her forward that much...

I'll contact Jim later today and pick his brain regarding the Arnot's...   I was just hoping to not have to spend quite that much...  but I may have no alternative.

Thank again!

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »

We had a great time meeting and riding with you two also!! Hope you'll make it out here again one of these days.

Fortunately for us, we live close enough to Corbin to do a ride-in appt. They had to really shave the sides of my seat for me to be able to reach the ground and they moved me up more than the regular close solo....but that's hard to take care of over the phone. Jim should be able to give you some good ideas...he's the best!!

I know you live in Florida...Do they do ride-in appts there? Maybe they could shave the sides a little more. Here's a pic which shows how much they shaved the sides of the corbin on my bike...right down to the frame....works for me!!

Good luck Matt...I'm sure you'll get more ideas from all the guys and gals on this site soon!! Let us know how it turns out... Mel

Dactyl

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »

Sometimes I really hate being short.  :(

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.