Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2009 Front Tire Wear Inspection and Warranty Procedure Service Bulletin M-1258a  (Read 12720 times)

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!

I had a front D407 and a rear D407 replaced under warranty on my 09 SERG when both tires showed severe cupping after 3500 miles. Took the bike to the dealer, explained the problem and left it up to them. They contacted H-D Customer Service and both tires were replaced under warranty.

Unfortunately, I had tried this with my first set of tire and got no love from the MoCo. I replaced the D407's with a set of Avon Cobras and had a flat on the first day out to Sturgis. I had to buy another set of D407's ($573.00 installed!) from St. Joseph Harley-Davidson to finish the trip. Since I had Avons on, warranty obviously did not apply. It was this set of D407's that were replaced under warranty by my home dealer, Harley-Davidson of Cool Springs in Brentwood, TN.

So, at 15,500 miles I have about 2000 miles on my *FOURTH* set of tires. This is getting old... and $$$$$$!!!

RickC

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs

And what do they write to you ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy

Here you are

Rob
Rob

Felos

• Junior CVO Member
2009 FLHTCUSE4 fromt tire problem
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »

The 2009 Screemin' Eagle Ultra can have problems with the front tire.  The Dunlop 407 can experience "cupping" due to it overheating.  There is no recall on them; however, the dealerships in my area are replacing them with a Dunlop 408 with a different tread design at no charge.  The rear tire seems to be OK. 

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide

Took my 09 SERG into the local HD store recently for the recall on the gas tank part.  Mentioned that at the 5 k service they noted 5/32 wear remaining on the front tire, and I had noticed a vibration (key word here) in the front end.  They replaced my 407 front tire with the 408, no questions asked.  Gas tank part was on back order however :-*

Once again, this forum has provided some great info and even though the forum has cost me a LOT more money than I have saved, I do appreciate the tips that lead to saving the $$$$.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black

Took my 09 SERG into the local HD store recently for the recall on the gas tank part.  Mentioned that at the 5 k service they noted 5/32 wear remaining on the front tire, and I had noticed a vibration (key word here) in the front end.  They replaced my 407 front tire with the 408, no questions asked.  Gas tank part was on back order however :-*

Once again, this forum has provided some great info and even though the forum has cost me a LOT more money than I have saved, I do appreciate the tips that lead to saving the $$$$.

ADC,  I had to replace my rotors also, "Vibration" , they were warped
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

gordy

• Senior CVO Member

Replaced both POS Dunlop D407 tires on my SERG and Susie's Streetglide before this program came out.  Contacted Mr White (Canadian National Service Manager) about getting a credit and was politely told to pound sand.  And they wonder why I don't support the service department. 
I had installed Avon Cobra's on the SERG because of the cupping problem with the Dunlops and unfortunately only Harley had replacement tires for the Streetglide.  I see Metzler and Avon now have a replacement tire -so less business for the HD parts department.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member

Dont feel bad Gordy I took mine in and was told it didn't qualify either. I had 15,000km on mine though.  What a pile of crap the service bulletins are.....there is no logic to the way these claims are treated. Seems like it depends which pinhead you have the pleasure of speaking to.

Rob
Rob

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

If it helps anyone, here's the scoop on my 09 SEUC 407/408 front tire issue.
The first front 407 lasted 11K miles on the 09 SEUC.
The replacement front 408 now has 19K miles on it and still has (my best guess) another 3 to 5K miles left.
IMHO Dunlop got it right on the 408 front tire!

SBB

Also, IMHO tire pressure is critical on these 407 rear and 408 front combination.
42 rear, 41 front!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

gordy

• Senior CVO Member

The pinhead I talked to was the HEAD PINHEAD and turned out to be a PRICKHEAD.  As I stated before "and they wonder why I don't deal with the service department" :cherry:

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited

Got my new tire 2 weeks ago, HD replaced the "vibrating" D407 with 10,000 miles on it.. no questions asked.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs

Got my new tire 2 weeks ago, HD replaced the "vibrating" D407 with 10,000 miles on it.. no questions asked.
lucky man , no warranty change here in germany . i tried several times .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member

I was told that the dealer won't replace for uneven wear; the acceptable complaint must be "vibration"...

jb

rganz

• Senior CVO Member

Has anyone in Canada had a tire replaced.....or is it all US bikes . Is the notice that was sent out just a Deeley  formality(legal purposes) with the idea being we can all be turned down anyway. This way it looks like they care but it costs nothing more than a stamp. Imagine that >:(

Rob
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:40:04 PM by rganz »
Rob

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member

I took mine in and complained about the vibration. They replaced the tire and then called me to service. Then I was told it would take a little longer because the mechanic didn't like the feel of the wheel bearing so they replaced that under warrenty as well.. Can't beat that..

jb
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.