Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hell's Canyon NRA, recommendations?  (Read 626 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Hell's Canyon NRA, recommendations?
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

Has anyone ridden through Hell's Canyon NRA in Eastern OR/Western ID?

Any recommended routes?  Things to consider?

We are thinking about going this way after leaving Crater Lake NP on our way home from the SD GTG.  Looking at a map, cruise through the NRA then head up to Missoula to continue east.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
Re: Hell's Canyon NRA, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »

Hey Bill,

I have not been to Hells Canyon Rec area but if you are coming up from the south and want to head into Oregon to La Grand (or Baker City) on I=84 you can head into that area from the Oregon side, which has most of the access points to the Canyon Area. A lot of the terrain/geography of Hells Canyon is very similar to the route between Lake Wallowa ORegon and Lewiston Idaho (Lewiston is the gateway to Hells Canyon and where most jet bout tours start).
Check out these links and look at some of the pictures along Oregon Hwy 3 and Washington Hwy 129.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oregon_Route_3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Route_129

I elk hunt in that Southeastern part of Washington and it is absolutely beautiful country. Big deep canyons with timber and open areas you would really love the ride from HWY 3 up to Troy Oregon along the Grande Rhonde River.

Here are some pictures of Troy, cool little town..

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=troy+oregon&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1eYJS964BYXbnAeDkaC7Cw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCIQsAQwBA

This is a picture of the country near there that I hunt...

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »

If you take that route and end up in Lewiston, Idaho that sets you up to go over Lolo Pass on US 12 to get to Missoula or other points in Montana. Here is one more picture of a canyon we hunt right out of camp.

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »

Since you are close, rent a cabin here and ride the STEEPEST tram in North America too.

http://www.wallowalake.net/

http://www.wallowalaketramway.com/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:56:33 PM by Keithincda »

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:43 PM »

Oregon has some great roads.  Hwy 82 from Elgin to Enterprise has some very nice curves and runs in part along a very pretty stream and valley, but it is way north.  Hell's Canyon is a tricky ride.  The road is in lousy shape, with no centerline and we took it on a sunny day in the late afternoon when road was in partial shadow.  We could not see a darn thing and consequently hit some nasty holes and bumps.  We had to go slow and fortunately, we saw few cars but with no centerline, they could easily be in your lane on a curve.  If you want to do the Canyon NRA, do it at mid day with the sun high and with the road surface visible so you can avoid the damaged surface and stay in your lane.

Baker City east on Hwy 86 is a great ride, but not long.  It runs to Oxbow Dam.

Hwy 55 and Hwy 95, south and north of McCall, is a fun ride.  McCall is fun also.  if you work you way to I-90, run the east side of Lake Couer d' Alene.  It is twisty and scenic.  Stop and enjoy the fun cafe's along the way northward.

North of Crater Lake, do the road around the crater, Hwy 97 runs through Bend (great micro brew tavs) to Redmond.  Fun town.  Then east on Hwy 26 to Baker City.

Enjoy.

Road Hog
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »

Looks like some great rides. Have to add some of those to my west coast dream ride.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.