Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a frustating Journey  (Read 1589 times)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
What a frustating Journey
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »

This is not a tell of travels but one of the most frustrating chain of events I've had with any dealership (car or bike). I just have to tell somebody. As you guys know from some of my previous post , I decided to sell my SERK and purchase the new SESG (spiced rum). This decision was made back in July, so I called around to my local dealerships for options. First to see if a trade was the way to go if one was already in the area or try to sell waiting on their arrival. Well, I found out real quick that these thing did not hold the value I though they should have (from 16,800-21,500). To say nothing of the 6,000 I put in it for motor improvements (fixes). So I decided to try to sell her. I have tried E-Bay and Craigslist before and didn't want to go that route so I called around to find a dealer that would sell my bike on consignment. One dealer wanted $950 up front with no guarantees of a sell, three others would not take in a consignment bike and two others wanted $1,500 and the other $2,000 (both owned by the same guy :confused5:), but only had to paid $85 for an inspection of the bike. So I went with the smaller dealership first for two months with no success. Next, I had them move it over to the larger location. Neither one of these dealerships placed a tag with the price which I thought was odd, So I had a buddy go by and ask for a price. HOLLY MOLLY, they told him $3,500 over the price we talked about. I knew it would not sell for that price. I was only asking $21,500 which was retail. So after a month there I picked her up and rode up to the dealership that I bought it from and talked to those guys. This was now second week in Oct. Sale manager agreed to put it on their floor and website at no cost if I would buy the SESG from them, which I agreed. They have one coming in Jan. So they said. Told me that he could not order it til Dec.??  So after their big Halloween bash I called and asked if there was any interest. The sale manager told me they moved it in the back so they could show all their new CVO's. That sort of pissed me off that it was not out front while all the crown was there. He said he would move it back out on the floor. Was the prime time of the year there with all the traffic for fall. Well I waited patiently, no calls. So I called again last Thursday and spoke with a part time sale guy, asked him if their were any interest in my bike. He didn't know what I was talking about, put me on hold, came back to the phone and said that bike was in the back, didn't know why or anything about the bike. Couldn't have sold it if he didn't know it was for sale. That really got me pissed off. It was obvious they were not trying to sale it, just waiting on the SESG to come in and take it in on a trade. Trying to rip me off, what they done was just plain wrong. Needless to say I was up there the next day to pick it up. On the way back home stopped by Smoken' HD in Winston (super nice people and they own 4 other dealerships in Louisiana) and the sale manager said they had one at one of their other location and could have it up here after Thanksgiving. Awesome, and at MSRP with no fees added. Great price, great people, now just waiting til the bike gets here. So I guess after all the run around thing did turn out OK. Pictures will be posted in the CVO SESG section.  :pepper:

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: What a frustating Journey
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »

And your SERK ?
Do you try to sell it on your own ?
Allways and everywhere the same , neverending story with and about the stealers .  :-[
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »

What happened to the King??
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »

Is that last dealership going to sell your RK for you???
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:35 AM »

Don't leave us hangin man  :coolblue:  What happened with the King  :nixweiss:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »

Still got it if your interested for $19,500 or best offer.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:35:00 AM by KingDog »

Kool Rider

• 07 FLHTRSE3 SERK
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:32 AM »

Still got it if your interested for $19,500 or best offer.

Any details like mileage?  upgrades?

I went through the same process and I still own the bike I want to sell. I've been on craigslist and posting on eBay for a while.  There is not much interest unless you are giving it away. The other thing is dealers will not give you much if anything for engine or cosmetic upgrades. Motorcycle sales pick-up in the spring, I think I'll hang on to my FATBOB for a bit and try to sell it later.

Good luck.
Kool Rider
Southern Nevada

Make the best out of everyday because the future is unknown.

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »

I dont know why you think a dealer is going to sell your bike for you, put it on www.chopperexchange.com it is the old HD Trader site. put my 04 Ultra there last year sold it at asking price in 4 days. It amazes me to hear what people here think the dealer should do for them for free, just because you bought a bike from them.

Wanna ride

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

I feel your pain, but casper's right. The dealer is in business to sell bikes... their bikes. And if they sell you a bike, then great. And sure, they'll sell your bike, only if they make more money from it. Can't really say that I'd trust any dealer enough to sell my bike, or even hold on to it with a dealership full of employees that just see it as "just one more bike" in their way. I can promise you that I'm a little more careful and concerned about my bike than any dealership employee would be. As for marking it higher than what you were asking... it's a dealership.

I wouldn't let a fox guard my henhouse. Unfortunately sometimes, selling a custom or a high-end bike can take time. And I agree, I don't think e-bay is necessarily a good place to sell a bike that commands top-dollar. But, it can help generate interest. I know a lot of people that bought/sold bikes through contacts made on e-bay, weeks after the bike auction ended. Local listings, newspaper, tradin-post, etc are also good places for these types of rides... and word-of-mouth networking. And don't always limit yourself to what an internet site says your ride is worth. Ultimately, it's only worth what buyers are willing to pay.

I hope it all works out, we're anxious to see pics of your new scoot!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:04:50 PM by Wanna Ride »

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »

Hey!  I got a NICE 2007 FLHRS for sale.  Black, 24,000, Rinehart TDs, windshield, 10" pullback bars, chrome switch housings & levers, flush gas caps....SWEET!  You can even keep the chrome dragon on the fender for $17K

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 01:26:47 PM »

Hey!  I got a NICE 2007 FLHRS for sale.  Black, 24,000, Rinehart TDs, windshield, 10" pullback bars, chrome switch housings & levers, flush gas caps....SWEET!  You can even keep the chrome dragon on the fender for $17K
:jack:

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »

I don't know why you think a dealer is going to sell your bike for you, put it on www.chopperexchange.com it is the old HD Trader site. put my 04 Ultra there last year sold it at asking price in 4 days. It amazes me to hear what people here think the dealer should do for them for free, just because you bought a bike from them.
I never expected ANY dealer to sell it for me at no charge, but it was a convincing line. I just expect them all to do what they say. If you say you will put it on your web page and place it out on the floor, then that's what I expect to take place. Or I'll just take my business to another dealer that I can trust more and that's what I did.  ;D

Kool Rider

• 07 FLHTRSE3 SERK
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:44:53 AM »

Update.

Sold the bike on eBay.  Relisting was only $2.00 per week.  I was patient and relisted and relisted and relisted until someone who actually understood what I had for sale contacted me.  I had several inquiries from folks who just compared miles and model year, not significant upgrades.

I finally got more room in the scooter's garage..   :carrot:

Any details like mileage?  upgrades?

I went through the same process and I still own the bike I want to sell. I've been on craigslist and posting on eBay for a while.  There is not much interest unless you are giving it away. The other thing is dealers will not give you much if anything for engine or cosmetic upgrades. Motorcycle sales pick-up in the spring, I think I'll hang on to my FATBOB for a bit and try to sell it later.

Good luck.
Kool Rider
Southern Nevada

Make the best out of everyday because the future is unknown.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »

Update.

Sold the bike on eBay.  Re listing was only $2.00 per week.  I was patient and re listed and re listed and re listed until someone who actually understood what I had for sale contacted me.  I had several inquiries from folks who just compared miles and model year, not significant upgrades.

I finally got more room in the scooter's garage..   :carrot:

Happy for you, I have sold 5 bikes 2 cars and a pickup on e bay, it is frustrating when dumba$$ people bid that have no money and do not follow up even when they are high bidder, but I have never failed to ultimately sell through  e bay. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.