Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Part question -- Fuel Check Valve for 02 Delphi bike  (Read 12160 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Part question -- Fuel Check Valve for 02 Delphi bike
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

It has the same hook up as the 04 and 05 bikes.....used the original 04 fittings to make the new hose for the 02

That's what I expected.  Thanks.  So the manual illustration for the Marelli type line is incorrect for a bike with my single hole tank and your two hole tank.  Do you remember if the coupler that screwed in to your tank was also from the 04-05?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »

Chit!!!!! He wasn't talking to his self... I saw at least a half dozen of the voices in his head making those posts. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Amen :drink: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »

Sometimes you get the best answers when you talk to yourself!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Amen again.  Though the database that is all the bikes here to compare against surely doesn't hurt :2vrolijk_21: .

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »

Do you remember if the original fuel hose had a push on connection to the throttle body like the more common Delphi bikes do?  Or did it have a round drop over fitting at the throttle body like the earlier Marelli bikes did?

Just thought of one other potential variation too.  It's not impossible to believe the single hole tanks with the larger hole might have had a screw in sleeve that would then accept the check valve documented in the parts manual.  Such a sleeve also isn't documented.  But several things here aren't.

The 2002 tanks have 2 ports on the lower left, just like the Marelli machines. In 2002 the forward hole is plugged and a quick coupler, just like the later machines, is used in the rear hole.

All ’03 and later tanks had 1 hole. 2002 P&A tanks may come with 1 hole.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »

Here's a photo of the bottom of my '02 FLTRI.

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »

That's what I expected.  Thanks.  So the manual illustration for the Marelli type line is incorrect for a bike with my single hole tank and your two hole tank.  Do you remember if the coupler that screwed in to your tank was also from the 04-05?

Used the parts that I had from an extra 04 tank in the 02 tank because the painter lost them :soapbox:

hogasm

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »

Looks just like mine....except different color :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

Thanks DJ.  That's what I'd seen before on a couple of 02s I remembered.  And that's what is pictured in the parts manual for the 02 FLHRSEI and the other 02 EFI bikes I saw today.  Though all the illustrations showed the Marelli type line with the part number superceded to to the Delphi line.

This tank off an 02 SE Road King is just a single hole though.  The only other one I've ever had in hand was also.  CVO being a part of P&A then might account for a difference?  Doesn't really matter so long as a correct mix of parts can be collected.  And today they were.

Local parts counter had the 62189-01A coupler in stock.  It fits and accepts the standard Delphi type fuel line needed.  So that combination completes the set and makes all the connections. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 06:23:54 PM »

Looks just like mine....except different color :huepfenlol2:

Spoke with three others I know today who have or had 02 fuel injected bikes.  None CVO bikes; just standard production.  All remember the dual fitting combination.  Couple of others I remember messing with over the years were the same.

Perhaps it's not a running change in production at large but a difference only in CVO production?  Or perhaps my tank here is the one-off that someone repainted later in its life.  The previous owner of the bike was its first owner.  He reported it never being injured before he got it's ass end clipped.  So this seems unlikely.  But I'll still be curious (a little).

Less curious immediately after finding a proper combination of parts that work though.  Now I can replace the filter, wipe out the tank and get it closed up :2vrolijk_21: .

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »

Photos from other 2002 SERK owners will help put this to bed, but in the mean time we might as well speculate and make wild assumptions about this somewhat irrelevant circumstance.

My sense is that the brandywine ’02 SERK’s were some of the earliest CVO’s made in ’02. When Milwaukee encountered issues producing the brandywine finish they shifted all of the remaining production to purple.

It doesn’t seem likely that any 2002 machine, much less an early production ‘02 produced in calendar 2001, would come equipped with a -03 part. It seems more likely that the tank was replaced later on under warranty if it wasn’t replaced due to damage. The warranty scenario may not be too far off the mark, considering Milwaukee was having issues with this color at the time.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »

Photos from other 2002 SERK owners will help put this to bed, but in the mean time we might as well speculate and make wild assumptions about this somewhat irrelevant circumstance.

My sense is that the brandywine ’02 SERK’s were some of the earliest CVO’s made in ’02. When Milwaukee encountered issues producing the brandywine finish they shifted all of the remaining production to purple.

It doesn’t seem likely that any 2002 machine, much less an early production ‘02 produced in calendar 2001, would come equipped with a -03 part. It seems more likely that the tank was replaced later on under warranty if it wasn’t replaced due to damage. The warranty scenario may not be too far off the mark, considering Milwaukee was having issues with this color at the time.

Sorry if the WAG assessment and general musings troubled you DJ.  Irrelevant curiosities are often what goes on here.  At least this one was bike related. 

Had something that was admittedly an oddball.  Didn't know how odd at the time or if there'd be much or little difficulty in sorting it out.  Having the friends here to compare against (or to potentially already know a specific answer) seemed worth voicing the question though.

In a PM conversation Jeff and I had already wondered if, given the problems had with producing these paint sets, warranty replacements might play a role here.  More idle curiosity.  Or, as this process was jokingly described earlier here, more attempt to extrapolate potential answers from minimal known data (wild ass guess).

Your suggestion to more accurately detail what might or might not be happening as merely a matter of extended curiosity has already been asked.  Check this thread for the so far limited review:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=43713.0

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »

Sorry if the WAG assessment and general musings troubled you DJ.  Irrelevant curiosities are often what goes on here.....

Not at all Twolane; the spirit of my reply was simply to get a little shoe leather on the can as it is kicked around the ether. The real reason for the number of holes in the bottom of a gas tank isn’t nearly as interesting as the thoughtful exchange around the possibilities. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »

Not at all Twolane; the spirit of my reply was simply to get a little shoe leather on the can as it is kicked around the ether. The real reason for the number of holes in the bottom of a gas tank isn’t nearly as interesting as the thoughtful exchange around the possibilities. :2vrolijk_21:

Agree completely.  My apologies for the misread.  

Have to admit one thing. After finding that -01 fitting that fits my tank, knowing it works as a set and knowing it's now an easy replacement if ever need be I'm content with the oddball single hole tank.  One less o-ring to potentially leak someday and one less fitting to potentially corrode.  I'm lazy; I like less stuff to have to deal with :drink: .

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »

....I'm lazy; I like less stuff to have to deal with :drink: .

I don’t know Twolane, if you are really that lazy, I’m thinkin’ that you would be running an unglamorous, utilitarian machine that looks as good with a 6 month layer of crap off the road as it does with a fresh spit-shine. I’ll believe that you are slacking when the pics of your machine make mine look good! BTW, you have accumulated quite a collection of machinery; are you competing with Hoist for the largest stable?  :D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 12:11:26 AM »

I don’t know Twolane, if you are really that lazy, I’m thinkin’ that you would be running an unglamorous, utilitarian machine that looks as good with a 6 month layer of crap off the road as it does with a fresh spit-shine. I’ll believe that you are slacking when the pics of your machine make mine look good! BTW, you have accumulated quite a collection of machinery; are you competing with Hoist for the largest stable?  :D

God no!  Right now I think I'm at about 2.3 bikes actually here. 

There was a time (of greater sanity) when I wouldn't justify more than one functional bike in the garage.  Just didn't make sense.  Couldn't ride more than one at a time.  Lived with that guideline for a long time.  Then a couple years ago stumbled in to the red SE Road Glide I'd always wanted at a price that was too good to pass up and only an hour from home.

That bike broke my spirit.  Killed my will power.  Damaged my common sense.  It's all the Road Glide's fault.  So when this wrecked project made itself available I was already done in.  It's not my fault though.  And there won't be any more.  Really.  They won't fit in the garage.... :huepfenlol2:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.