Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Part question -- Fuel Check Valve for 02 Delphi bike  (Read 12277 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Part question -- Fuel Check Valve for 02 Delphi bike
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »

Ran in to a small stump this evening.  Perhaps someone will have been there before and know the answer so I can avoid some potential trial and error at the parts counter.

Relatively recently gutted the parts from an 02 fuel injected touring tank.  It had a fuel line plugged in to the check valve (quick coupler) in the bottom of the tank.  When I unhooked the line the coupler had a bad "feel."  Gritty, not working well.  Also showed signs of having leaked sometime in its life.  So I pitched it.  No big deal (I thought).

Parts manual for this bike (02 FLHRSEI) gives a part number for replacement as the same part in the Marelli tanks.  It was a part number I recognized.  Just happened to have a couple of those here spare.  Grabbed it this evening to install and it's not correct.  The hole in the Delphi tank is larger.  

Fuel pump/sender assembly looks like the 02 and up Delphi.  So I'm assuming the check valve is also.  But since my parts manual is incorrect (shows a single Marelli type line between the tank and throttle body also -- also incorrect) was just hoping someone knew if it was a several year part.  If so can use the parts manual for the 05 and its easy.  Really hoping that the change in the touring models to Delphi in 02 didn't leave any one-off one year only parts as they were working the bugs out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Part question -- Fuel Check Valve for 02 Delphi bike
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »

More study of this question has been interesting.  Last hour has perhaps left more questions than it answered though. 

I remembered in the middle of this site member Texas103 (Hi Greg) talking a couple years ago about seeing 2002 Candy Brandy bikes with both Delphi and Marelli type fuel connections.  As if it were a running change during the year.  Had never seen it documented though.  Parts manuals didn't give two options for tanks or other parts that would differ.  But he'd seen in person on at least one example. 

One example isn't validation.  Too easy for an individual to have painted parts and built his own of something to account for one example.  Seeing enough confusion in some things to believe there's more to it now though.

Most are familiar with the fuel fitting cover that dresses up the line connection (62809-06) or its common and similar Kuryakyn competitor.  Looking through old manuals have now variously seen it described as having a fitment for touring bikes beginning in 02 or 03.  That's a fitting cover for a tank with a single fuel line and no dedicated return line (i.e., Delphi type fuel system).

The old Marelli bikes had their own fuel fittings cover.  Flat plate to cover both lines (pressure and return).  One cover was 62838-98 that showed for 95-99 and then 62883-02 for 00-01 Touring.  I always thought the break was Marelli (two lines) 01 and previous and Delphi (one fuel line) 02 and newer.  Now that seems more convoluted.

It's convoluted by the fact of another line cover.  An apparently one year only application of 62884-02.  It is for two lines.  But rather than for two equal OD connections it is made to cover two lines of obviously different sizes.  Until looking to sort this out a bit earlier I'd never seen this one before.  All the old two line covers seem to be obsolete from HD.  Finding them in old parts manuals, P&A books or eBay listings.  But this 62884-02 is specifically to cover a pair of fittings for an 02 that I always thought would only have one.  The 02 tank I'm dealing with right now only has a single fitting. 

All this at least suggests a running change during 02.  It's no doubt boring as hell to someone not interested in the task.  And none of it tells me with any certainty if an 02 single line Delphi type tank will take the same line coupler as might the 05 SEEG.  Honestly my guess is it will.  But all this 02 variation got my curiosity up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:13:18 AM »

Here's the fitment script for this previously unknown to me apparently one year (or partial year) application line cover.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 01:24:16 AM »

Oh yeah, to summarize what I now know I don't know I'm now unsure if 2002 EFI bikes:

Really were all Delphi

Really were originally Marelli with a running change to Delphi

or, perhaps....

Really were all Delphi but had a running change that went from a pressure line and a return line to a later use of the now common single pressurized fuel line.  If this were the case, however, one would expect to find different part numbers in 02 for the different tanks or throttle bodies/fuel regulators that accepted the lines.  Such probably wouldn't be Marelli holdovers (though this is based on nothing more than that 02 specific line cover seeming to wrap around lines of two different sizes while the Marelli lines were the same size).

Since there seem to be no other 02 specific parts for a Delphi variation this seems to suggest a Marelli carryover simply using old part numbers.  Even though that doesn't explain the odd 02 specific fuel line cover.  All of which says I still really don't know what all I might not know here ::) .

Also, I'm glad my tank has the (hopefully) standard and expected single line fitting.  With any luck it means I won't have to screw with any of this weirdness.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »

Well crap.  Just grabbed the red bike's (05 SEEG) parts manual.  The fuel fitting for that is a -03 part number (62228-03).  So while it may eventually prove to work ok as part of a trial and error if need be it won't be the original fitment for the 2002 tank.

So... I know the coupler specified in the 02 parts manual is the part number for what was used on the Marelli bikes.  And it's wrong.  And I know the part specified in the 05 part manual for a Delphi bike is at least not the original correct fitment.  Need to find a part number for something in between. 

Have found a reference to a check valve 62189-01A.  No fitment designations though.  It does fall between the 61408-00 or -00A for the two fittings in to a Marelli style tank and the 62228-03 for the 05 Delphi tank.  Until proved otherwise by an 03 parts manual am assuming now that the -03 fitting started with the 03 model bikes.  If that's so it really does make at least the part number for the 02 fittings a one year only and one-off.  One that isn't documented in at least my parts manual for the 2002s. 

To find anymore it's going to take a trip to the dealership and a check for revisions of the parts manuals themselves or a look at other models.  That means for now I'm done talking to myself about this.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:16:48 AM »

That means for now I'm done talking to myself about this.

Sometimes you get the best answers when you talk to yourself!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:37:59 AM »

Don my 02 is a Delphi

The return line in the tank is plugged

would having the measurement between bungs help you any :confused5:

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »

Sometimes you get the best answers when you talk to yourself!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB
Chit!!!!! He wasn't talking to his self... I saw at least a half dozen of the voices in his head making those posts. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »

Don my 02 is a Delphi

The return line in the tank is plugged

would having the measurement between bungs help you any :confused5:

That statement actually helps and is enough to illustrate a difference in production.  The parts manual I've got for 02 shows a plug.  As if there is a second hole to be plugged.  It shows one plugged location and one Marelli type line.

My 02 tank, however, doesn't have the hole.  Not even a stamping indent where one might have been intended.  So that seeminly odd one year only fuel line cover would go around the line and however much of the plug that is sticking out (I'm guessing).

Hey Brian, if you want that 02 only oddball cover that sounds like it would fit your bike it was listed on eBay.  Do a search by the part number and it should come up.

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »

That statement actually helps and is enough to illustrate a difference in production.  The parts manual I've got for 02 shows a plug.  As if there is a second hole to be plugged.  It shows one plugged location and one Marelli type line.

My 02 tank, however, doesn't have the hole.  Not even a stamping indent where one might have been intended.  So that seeminly odd one year only fuel line cover would go around the line and however much of the plug that is sticking out (I'm guessing).

Hey Brian, if you want that 02 only oddball cover that sounds like it would fit your bike it was listed on eBay.  Do a search by the part number and it should come up.

Don my 02 tank is so modified that I had to make my own fuel hose

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:40:01 AM »

Don there is one on Ebay with picture! $30.99 $8.00 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/harley-davidson-check-valve-assembly-part-62189-01a_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ250511872064QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

Thanks Brad.  Looking at the picture it's impossible to tell if the threaded section on that one is larger than the prior year's coupler for the Marelli bikes (which is a coupler I've got three of here).  So while that part number is an intermediate piece between the -00 and the -03 part I still don't know if it is in fact correct for what I'm doing.  It might also be something that is specific to the first Softail EFI bikes.

Trying to straddle that fine line between extrapolating from known data to deliver the most likely answer and just wild ass guessing.  With the apparent variations in production and lack of documentation in at least my parts manual that's a pretty narrow line right now :P .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »

Don my 02 tank is so modified that I had to make my own fuel hose

Do you remember if the original fuel hose had a push on connection to the throttle body like the more common Delphi bikes do?  Or did it have a round drop over fitting at the throttle body like the earlier Marelli bikes did?

Just thought of one other potential variation too.  It's not impossible to believe the single hole tanks with the larger hole might have had a screw in sleeve that would then accept the check valve documented in the parts manual.  Such a sleeve also isn't documented.  But several things here aren't.

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »

Do you remember if the original fuel hose had a push on connection to the throttle body like the more common Delphi bikes do?  Or did it have a round drop over fitting at the throttle body like the earlier Marelli bikes did?

Just thought of one other potential variation too.  It's not impossible to believe the single hole tanks with the larger hole might have had a screw in sleeve that would then accept the check valve documented in the parts manual.  Such a sleeve also isn't documented.  But several things here aren't.

It has the same hook up as the 04 and 05 bikes.....used the original 04 fittings to make the new hose for the 02

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

Brian (and others with 02 bikes), the two holes you describe with one plugged is compared to this 02 tank that has just the single fuel hole.  The little hole at the other end of the tank is where the gas gauge wires would come through.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.