Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Help on new pipes?  (Read 20517 times)

Blueyz0416

Help on new pipes?
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

I'm thinking about getting new mufflers for my CVO convertible.  I like the look of the stock pipes, but they are too quiet for me.  I don't want them super loud like street sweepers, but would like to hear them.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Help on new pipes?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »

Well I'm in the same boat as you. Not sure yet but was thinking of putting the new V&H Pro Pipe on it when they come out in Jan. Like you I don't want anything to loud, also I like the look of the stock pipes.

To many decisions, gotta love it though.

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:33 AM »

Hi Bud;

Really like you bike. Just tool delivery on the exact same one and color from Harley Annapolis. (2010 CVO Convertable)

I have the same issue regarding the pipes, and will be talking to the guys in Annapolis this week. If I get any good feedback, I'll let you know.

I do have questions regarding wind buffet. On our bikes, with the windshield installed, I noticed a significant wind buffet around 55mph. The buffet would vibrate my visor (HD 3/4 helmet) causing distortion thru the visor and interfering with my vision.

Have you had any similar experience. BTW, with the fairing off, my helmet visor is solid thru 70 mph.

Ride Safe.............

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »

The original windshield is angled down to the rider. This takes a large amount of air and directs it at the riders chin. This is why you have buffeting of your helmet and vision issues.

We took ours off and installed a Fatboy med height shield. It stands taller and blocks almost all wind to the riders chest and face.

Blueyz0416

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

Graybeard - Look forward to hearing what Annapolis HD tells you. Grew up in your neck of the woods, btw.  Have a brother who still lives in Edgewater. Lots of good riding up your way.
Like Reksul said, the fatboy windshield works out great on the convertible; plus added a windshield bag so I can actually carry something and not necessarily have to have the saddlebags on.
Carol

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »

egarding the buffet off the convertable fairing, talked to the service guys at the Annapolis office and they looked up the part numbers for the windshield portion of the fairing, and stated that it's a single part number at this point. (no choice of different sizes) When I mentioned that several threads have made statements about buffet problems with the convertable, the service rep manager said he'd call "Spock" at Harley. Ten minutes latter, he said the 'Spock" indicated we should check after January when Harley places a lot of new mods out in bike shows. The service rep stated that Harley should notice these issues and respond with a mod to the windshield at some point.

Though the clear-view does offer another option, I like the look of the stock fairing. With a few inches more vertical height, I think the buffet problem would be solved

Ride Safe.................

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »

I was going over the HD custom catalog, looking at a number of pipe configurations, and noticed a disclaimer, that stated some of these pipes, even though they are HD, may impact the bikes warranty. I plan to talk to the guys at the shop latter this month and see what options I have that will not violate my warranty, but give me a more authentic Harley tune that I presently have on my new CVO convertable.

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »

I was going over the HD custom catalog, looking at a number of pipe configurations, and noticed a disclaimer, that stated some of these pipes, even though they are HD, may impact the bikes warranty. I plan to talk to the guys at the shop latter this month and see what options I have that will not violate my warranty, but give me a more authentic Harley tune that I presently have on my new CVO convertible.

I was talking to my dealer about pipes and they said as long as "they" install them MOCO has not given them any problems on warranty issues.

Might be a sales ploy but I think it is the way to go. I am thinking about putting D&D Low Cat on mine the a SE Super Tuner and then have the dealer do a Dyna tune on it. If I don't feel the tune is as good as it can be may take a road trip and have Jamie @ Fuelmoto do it.

I like the look of the stock pipes but other than Rush I can't find any that look similar and I don't care for the sound of Rush. Let me know what you end up doing as I am stuck until at least March here in MI so it is going to be a long wait.

pleezinme

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

My wife has this bike and she has all the same issues. Wind and pipes that need some real Harley noise. It looks like everyone has the same issues. I haven't found any pipes that fit this new CVO either. I suppose all the emissions stuff doesn't help either. Once new pipes are manufactured by some of the more well know names these stock muffs have to go.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »

The Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 is a great pipe for that bike!

Here they are on my 07 Softail
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »

Will let you know tomorrow, I will be putting Rush 1.75 SD on with a PCV from Fuelmoto. I figure this will be much better than stock and will give me time to evaluate the better systems. And... I will still be able to re-use the PCV so it will all work out.

I will try and get some video of the Rush and get it posted. I do think I will ride with these for a while and then will look at Supertrapp Supermegs after I have had a chance to locate some on a bike and hear them.

Blueyz0416

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »

Will let you know tomorrow, I will be putting Rush 1.75 SD on with a PCV from Fuelmoto. I figure this will be much better than stock and will give me time to evaluate the better systems. And... I will still be able to re-use the PCV so it will all work out.

I will try and get some video of the Rush and get it posted. I do think I will ride with these for a while and then will look at Supertrapp Supermegs after I have had a chance to locate some on a bike and hear them.

So, did the Rush 1.75's work out as an interim solution?  I'm still waiting/deciding, and am not that interesting in the 2-into-1 look, but I must say Wheelsnkeels V&H big radius setup does look pretty sharp.  More than I had intended to spend, I'm sure :)
Carol

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »

So, did the Rush 1.75's work out as an interim solution?  I'm still waiting/deciding, and am not that interesting in the 2-into-1 look, but I must say Wheelsnkeels V&H big radius setup does look pretty sharp.  More than I had intended to spend, I'm sure :)

I did get them installed, it was real straight forward and the fit and finish is excellent. I have not been able to ride since I put them on. I did start it quickly as the bike is in my front foyer and it did sound pretty cool. As soon as the weather lets up and I can get the bike outside I will get some video up for you.

Still have to do something about the windsheild....I don't really want to put a Fat Boy wind shield on but the one that is on it sucks. Not sure what to do with that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:28:20 PM by newdep »

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

How about a Paint to match Detach Softail fairing?

http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/fairings.htm

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »

newdep - can you post some pics of the new pipes?

I too am looking for something a bit louder but I do like the look of the stock pipes. I talked to a service manager at one of my local dealers and he said the Screamin Eagle mufflers are easy to modify. Drill out a few rivets, pull out and unwrap the baffles and reinsert. They will actually do it in the shop (hmmm..). Anyway don't all the 2010's have cats in the pipes that are not easy to remove?

Mike V.
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.