Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Lets see your CCW  (Read 22458 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Lets see your CCW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

Here is my Sunday go to meetin gun. This is a series 80 Colt Officer's 1911 (45acp) bright polished slide sides and Rogard finished frame to avoid that nasty sandblasted aluminum look with wear. The grips are real elephant ivory and I did the medallion inlays after rhodium plating them so they'll never tarnish. The deeply carved and well detailed holster is from El Paso Saddlery. Sweet piece. When its not Sunday its an S&W Model 60 with bobbed hammer and Spiegel Coco Bolo boot grips in a City Slicker shoulder holster; nice rig for riding.
Very nice carry piece.  It's one of my favorites......tell me more about the Rogard finished frame.  And you did a good job on the grips.  They look to be a tad thicker than the standard/stock grips.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

I have several pistols, mostly 45's, no pic's at this time.  Don't have a carry permit yet, in most places in Colorado you can carry on you hip with no problem. I was wondering, for a concealed weapon would you go 9mm of 40cal, I have a 38spl revolver also, but the 45's are to big!

Craig

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »

I have several pistols, mostly 45's, no pic's at this time.  Don't have a carry permit yet, in most places in Colorado you can carry on you hip with no problem. I was wondering, for a concealed weapon would you go 9mm of 40cal, I have a 38spl revolver also, but the 45's are to big!

Craig
Ummmm, Craig, that's going to bring lots of opinions.  I think it all boils down to what you're comfortable with (familiar) and WILL carry.  Like you, I prefer the 1911's but they're a lot of handgun to carry all the time concealed......so, I drop down to a scaled-down govt. model Colt .380 that conceals nicely most times.  Some consider the lowly .380 rd. as a less than adequate self-defense round, but I feel much better with them than w/o.  The reg. nine  round would be even better and might not cost as much as the .40.  Like I say, you'll get lots of 'opinions' on this question.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »

I have a 1911 45cal, to big for concealed carry. I'm looking at a compact for a carry weapon. I gave my 380 to my daughter, I have a hammerless Taurus 38spl, but don't want to carry the revolver. I'm thinking s Sig 40 compact, don't remember the model. They did have a little 357 derange at Ace last week! :P

Craig

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »

Ummmm, Craig, that's going to bring lots of opinions.  I think it all boils down to what you're comfortable with (familiar) and WILL carry.  Like you, I prefer the 1911's but they're a lot of handgun to carry all the time concealed......so, I drop down to a scaled-down govt. model Colt .380 that conceals nicely most times.  Some consider the lowly .380 rd. as a less than adequate self-defense round, but I feel much better with them than w/o.  The reg. nine  round would be even better and might not cost as much as the .40.  Like I say, you'll get lots of 'opinions' on this question.  har.  spyder
That is so true... my hands are on the large size and the smaller (easier to conceal) guns don't feel right (comfortable) so I go for the larger frame handguns.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ed45

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »

Hi Spyder. That finsh was done several years ago. Robar is now Coating technologies:
http://www.coatingtechnologiesinc.com/index.html

Note to Talon: Have you considered a Kahr for a nice, compact 40? I have one in 9mm acquired before they offered a 40 but I am impressed by their offerings. One of the best parts is that they have REAL sights, dovetailed front and back. Here is a link:
http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw_mk.html

Lo Lo

• CVO Connoisseur
  • 105th Screamin Eagle Club

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE 105th Anniversary Ed. #1055/1800
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »

What I carry concealed....  I use a Cross Breed IWB holster for the XDM, and a Galco Jackass rig, or Blackhawk CQC pancake for the Kimber Desert Warrior.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:43:15 PM by Lo Lo »
**Team Scream**
U.S. Army Recruiting
SFC LOPEZ

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »

Craig

I used to be a died in the wool 1911 person.  Then I shot a Sig 220.  Shot the hell out of it and love it.  Then sent it off to Robar for the Roguard. (Love the durability of the finish)

220 was to big so I went to a 40 226.  Liked it even better shooing Federal Hydra Shocks.  Sent it off to Robar for the Roguard finish. 

Summer cam and a couple of long trips.  226 seemed to big for Summer carry.  Now I have a 239 in 40.  Did not want a polymer frame.  It is just the right size.  Fits my hands well, loves the Hydra Shocks and I can put it anywhere and it is well concealed.  All metal and a sweet weapon.  SO it is going off to Robar next week also.

Look at Robars site, click on the Special box in the upper left hand of their page.  20% off till end of year.  They have been doing that for the last couple of years and that is when I send my weapons in.  Usually a 6-8 week turn around and well worth the wait.  Like I said I love the finish.  Holds lube well and cleaning is a breeze.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »

Ummmm, Craig, that's going to bring lots of opinions.  I think it all boils down to what you're comfortable with (familiar) and WILL carry.  Like you, I prefer the 1911's but they're a lot of handgun to carry all the time concealed......so, I drop down to a scaled-down govt. model Colt .380 that conceals nicely most times.   Some consider the lowly .380 rd. as a less than adequate self-defense round, but I feel much better with them than w/o.  The reg. nine  round would be even better and might not cost as much as the .40.  Like I say, you'll get lots of 'opinions' on this question.  har.  spyder
Carried the Colt Govt Model .380 Mark IV in stainless with Mag safe fragmentation rounds adds considerable stopping power the this round. Liked it fine had 2 issues with it though:

When carried in waistband small of the back it had a tendency to eject the magazine when you sat in a chair. (Embarrassing in restaurants)

In outdoor temps below freezing it had a tendency to jam up. This did not occur in warmer temperatures.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

Carried the Colt Govt Model .380 Mark IV in stainless with Mag safe fragmentation rounds adds considerable stopping power the this round. Liked it fine had 2 issues with it though:

When carried in waistband small of the back it had a tendency to eject the magazine when you sat in a chair. (Embarrassing in restaurants)

In outdoor temps below freezing it had a tendency to jam up. This did not occur in warmer temperatures.
Never suffered under those problems since I carry differently.  What type lubricant were you using when you had jamming?  Just wondering?   spyder

Ed45

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »

Your carry piece must be 100% reliable, not 99,... 100. If you stay with the 380 (which in the opinion of many is not a good stopping round), shoot it in ALL conditions; you can even do this at the range. I held my Personal Protection (armed) license here in Virginia for many years and would frequently practice in a darkened booth at the range. You can even check muzzle flash for your chosen ammo that way and there are BIG differences; too much flash can bugger your eyes for follow up rounds. In your case, you could actually bring an ice chest to the range and when you try Spyder's idea regarding lubricant (a good suggestion) put your gun in a protective bag and get it good and cold and then fire. Somewhere out there in the world sit 1, 2, or 3 rounds of ammo that ultimately could save your life or that of a loved one. Make sure you can crank them off reliably when you must. Ed

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 12:22:24 AM »

Just my .02 on concealed carry but I wonder where the weapon was carried that froze up in cold weather. If exposed in an external (duty holster) I can see some issues with some lubricants in extreme cold and long expossure. Yet with concealed carry, if the weapon is inside the waist band or next to the body then body heat should keep the weapon at an operating temperature where type of lubricant shouldn't be much of an issue.
I agree with Ed45 in that people who carry weapons need to practice in various conditions not only various lighting and temps but clothing differences and methods of carry. Some areas of carry look cool in the movies or TV but when you are walking or seated in a car etc. it may be impossible to draw in real life scenarios. also try drawing a weapon with your coat or other winter gear on and see if you have problems.
As far as a .45 being too large or heavy, if you haven't held a Glock Model 36 you should check it out. It's a 6 shot .45 that is single stack magazine and is about the size of many small .9mm or .380s. There is even Gold Dot hollowpoint ammo made specially for short barrel .45s and it has excellent stopping power. The Glock has excellent recoil springs and design so it doesn't kick like you would think.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »

Always carry have a concealed weapon permit, 40 caliber Kel-Tec.  You never know when you may need it.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 11:46:52 AM »

Easy to conceal. And light weight.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Easy to conceal. And light weight.

Probably a little hard to get to in that case? Jus Sayin

Good Gun i like it
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.