Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Idle surge or racing on start up.  (Read 7651 times)

tship65

• 06 Streetglide, 110 SE CVO
Idle surge or racing on start up.
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »

I have a SE 110 engine with a SE 50mm throttle body, PC,  The problem I have is when I start up cold the engine idle surges or races up and down until it is warmed up.  Have checked for manifold leaks, NONE,  I did change the temp sensor and did not see no change.  The only way I can make it go away is to adjust the trim on PC3.  I have searched and metered every thing I can figure out.  I am beginning to wonder if it is the TPS or the injectors.  Has anyone seen this before?  any help would be greatfull.
thanks
Shawn
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:54:47 PM by tship65 »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Idle surge or racing on start up.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

By design the efi fuel map has a cold strat map that starts the rpms and fuel deilvery at a much higher lever. You should find that the rpms drop down to 1000 rpms when the bike reaches normal operating temperatures. This is normal and designed into the fuel map .

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

The idle should not be surging when cold..it should be higher but steady.

tship65

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »

Thanks for your reply,

Understand what you are talking about and yes I do agree.  My problem is surging (up / down / up / down) until the engine gets warmed up then I get a solid idle at 1100 where it should be.
Shawn

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

The only time I ever experienced this was when I had a ThunderMax ECM on the bike, and the surging when the engine was cold was normal for the TMAX.  Of course it was normal for the turn signals not to self-cancel and for Zippers to ignore you when you had problems too.  I got rid of the TMAX and that solved the problems with surging, turn signals and Zippers all at once.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

I have a SE 110 engine with a SE 50mm throttle body, PC,  The problem I have is when I start up cold the engine idle surges or races up and down until it is warmed up.  Have checked for manifold leaks, NONE,  I did change the temp sensor and did not see no change.  The only way I can make it go away is to adjust the trim on PC3.  I have searched and metered every thing I can figure out.  I am beginning to wonder if it is the TPS or the injectors.  Has anyone seen this before?  any help would be greatfull.
thanks
Shawn
I would believe that you're too rich or too lean and the IAC is trying to maintain an idle but the fuel is causing a surge.  You answered your own question when you said that you adjusted the PC and it went away.  I would take a look at the fuel tables just above idle at the two left most columns.  That's probably where your problem lies.
OR - Your throttle blade is out of adjustment and the IAC is having a hell of a time controlling it.  However, this condition usually causes either a high or low idle and may also show a loss of idle code.
A Super Tuner would have allowed you to adjust the IAC on warmup whereas a PC does not.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:29:14 AM by One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »

By design the efi fuel map has a cold strat map that starts the rpms and fuel deilvery at a much higher lever. You should find that the rpms drop down to 1000 rpms when the bike reaches normal operating temperatures. This is normal and designed into the fuel map .
Surging and racing is not normal
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »

i'd say the problem was with the PC, once again, the PC is a module that tricks the ECM into thinking that it's wrong and to make the adjustment.
get rid of the PC and use Mastertune
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »

i'd say the problem was with the PC, once again, the PC is a module that tricks the ECM into thinking that it's wrong and to make the adjustment.
get rid of the PC and use Mastertune

I have to agree. Its a tuning issue that a PC cant address.
The surging is a lean condition. You need access into your IAC, idle speed and warm up tables.
With the addition of the SE TB, you have out grown your PC. Just for fun, unhook the PC and plug your
02 sensors back in go for an easy 15 minute ride and see if it "auto learns" enough to calm down.

Steve George
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

tship65

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

Thanx all for your comments and recommendations,  I have tried unhooking the PC3 and it still acts the same.  The strange thing is; the plugs look great.  On other problem I do have once in awhile is on hot startup I get a huge kickback and puff out of the TB.  I orginally thought the Compression releases were not working right and added manual ones in and it still does it. 

I have to agree I think that it has to do with the computer,  Has anyone had any luck with the TMAX with the autotune?  or what is the best out there today.
Shawn

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »

It could be that your idle needs to be reset.

Unlike carbed bikes, or even early M&M or Delphi bikes the system has a memory that defaults to the last idle setting. Sometimes if a rider cuts the engine off while coasting and the engine was NOT at idle when it shut down, the ECM "remembers" that last engine speed and "sets" it as idle. Then upon start up the engine "races" to that last setting. I know a couple of riders who have had that problem.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

Thanx all for your comments and recommendations,  I have tried unhooking the PC3 and it still acts the same.  The strange thing is; the plugs look great.  On other problem I do have once in awhile is on hot startup I get a huge kickback and puff out of the TB.  I orginally thought the Compression releases were not working right and added manual ones in and it still does it. 

I have to agree I think that it has to do with the computer,  Has anyone had any luck with the TMAX with the autotune?  or what is the best out there today.
Shawn
TTS Mastertune
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »

Shawn
If you're not doing the tune yourself find someone that you feel confident in doing the tune and go on there recommendations. If you are going to tune it yourself (like to play/fine tune data) then you may want to go w/TTS. There are a lot of horror stories w/the the TMax Autotune so if I were you I'd stay away from that.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »

It could be that your idle needs to be reset.

Unlike carbed bikes, or even early M&M or Delphi bikes the system has a memory that defaults to the last idle setting. Sometimes if a rider cuts the engine off while coasting and the engine was NOT at idle when it shut down, the ECM "remembers" that last engine speed and "sets" it as idle. Then upon start up the engine "races" to that last setting. I know a couple of riders who have had that problem.

Mark
:2vrolijk_21:

The above info is spot on....if your trouble persists even after warm-up,  this could be your problem.  I can't remember exactly what my service mgr told me,  but I think you turn the switch to "on",  and then (without starting bike), cycle the switch on/off about 5 times within 10-15 seconds.   This is supposed to "reset" the idle memory.  Another suggestion to avoid the problem in the first place is to use the "kill" switch to stop the motor and not the ign. switch. :confused5:  (So I was advised) 

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »

If you believe it to be an idle learn issue on a Drive By Wire bike, the procedure for reset is as follows. Start engine and ride bike until warmed up. Stop and park the bike and take you right hand off the handle bars! With your RIGHT hand reach over and switch the main power off. That's the one that the key goes in not the handle bar switch. Allow it to sit for 30 seconds. Restart the bike without out touching the handle bars and let it idle for 30 seconds, shut it off the same way as described above. Do this 4 times in a row and the idle learn is reset.

There is also an updated program the dealer can install for this issue as well.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.