Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Cases Curiosity -- 05 Still Carry pre-03 Part #  (Read 2025 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Engine Cases Curiosity -- 05 Still Carry pre-03 Part #
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »

Fortunately I'm not needing to order a set of crankcases.  But was in the parts manual for the 05 a moment ago and noticed something that seemed at least unexpected.

The 95" motor from the 2000 SERG to the 02 Road Kings has part number 24596-99 for the engine cases.  The 05 is a 103".  Bore still the same at 3.875" of course.  But 03 and newer had the bearing change in the left case.  No longer a Timken bearing.   Unless it's just an error in my parts manual the part number is still the old -99 number for the crankcases though.

The 2000 model 95" shows part number 99A in the parts manual.  The 2002 model shows -99B in its part manual.  A not surprising revision revision that might reflect any of many different small machining or specification updates.  And the type of revision in part numbers we're used to seeing for parts made to update and replace one another.

The 05 manual for the 103 still shows the same number but with a "C" revision.  24596-99C.  No big deal (unless you need one).  But it is a curiosity.  Don't know whether the parts manual is wrong (not an unusual thing--the 2000 SERG and 2002 SERK manuals have several errors--though the 05 manual has proved to be good so far) or if their using the revision suffixes differently.

Chicago Harley's website still shows -99, -99A, -99B and -99C.  Rather than separate distinct part numbers for different cases did they just get a suffix revision?  It's not the norm, but of course it's not impossible either. 

No big deal.  Just seemed odd.  If someone actually knows what Mother Harley has done here please enlighten me.  If not this is one I won't lose any sleep over.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Engine Cases Curiosity -- 05 Still Carry pre-03 Part #
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »

Replacement cases for ’02 and earlier TC’s are setup to run the late style left main bearing.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

Replacement cases for ’02 and earlier TC’s are setup to run the late style left main bearing.

Yep, we went through this recently with a case swap in a 2000 ultra. The new cases came with roller style left bearing. I was told that HD does not make the timken style case any longer and that if you get cases for new 99-02 models you need to change over.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »

Yep, we went through this recently with a case swap in a 2000 ultra. The new cases came with roller style left bearing. I was told that HD does not make the timken style case any longer and that if you get cases for new 99-02 models you need to change over.

That just sucks.  Royally.  I'd be torqued were I in the position Jim's customer was.  The bearing isn't that expensive.  So the cost addition isn't that big a deal.  But it's a forced change to something that isn't as robust.  So if someone wrecks their old cases and wants to stay with the Timken style bearing they have to spend almost as much on new machining as they did on the new cases. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »

That just sucks.  Royally.  I'd be torqued were I in the position Jim's customer was.  The bearing isn't that expensive.  So the cost addition isn't that big a deal.  But it's a forced change to something that isn't as robust.  So if someone wrecks their old cases and wants to stay with the Timken style bearing they have to spend almost as much on new machining as they did on the new cases. 

Yep, It does. The only good thing is that its really not too expensive to keep the Timken setup with the sleeve kit that Jim's has (and now in the SE line). The sleeve itself is only about $120.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »

Yep, It does. The only good thing is that its really not too expensive to keep the Timken setup with the sleeve kit that Jim's has (and now in the SE line). The sleeve itself is only about $120.

Do you have the tool kit to install those sleeves Jim?  They cost so much that's not something a guy in his garage would buy for a one-off need.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

Do you have the tool kit to install those sleeves Jim?  They cost so much that's not something a guy in his garage would buy for a one-off need.

I do, I have used it several times with great results. Do you have a case you need done?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

I do, I have used it several times with great results. Do you have a case you need done?

No, fortunately not.  This whole issue came up just because I saw the -99 part number for the cases in the 05's parts manual and it made me curious what Mother Harley was up to.  I am very pleased to learn you've got the tool though.  If I ever need the work done I'd have had a case machined rather than buy it for a single use.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

That just sucks.  Royally.  I'd be torqued were I in the position Jim's customer was.  The bearing isn't that expensive.  So the cost addition isn't that big a deal.  But it's a forced change to something that isn't as robust.  So if someone wrecks their old cases and wants to stay with the Timken style bearing they have to spend almost as much on new machining as they did on the new cases.  

Don

The 02 SERK I just got has these "new" cases. The previous owner had a 103 kit installed. After 20000 miles, the inner cam bearings failed. Fragments got in the oil pump and that was that. Tilley HD removed the motor and sent it to the MoCo for a Reman. No longer has the Timken bearing. They remanufacture to "the most current version" of that motor.
They were not certain which heads I now have. Anyone know a way I can find out short of removing them?

and Merry Christmas to all!

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 12:33:27 AM »

Don

The 02 SERK I just got has these "new" cases. The previous owner had a 103 kit installed. After 20000 miles, the inner cam bearings failed. Fragments got in the oil pump and that was that. Tilley HD removed the motor and sent it to the MoCo for a Reman. No longer has the Timken bearing. They remanufacture to "the most current version" of that motor.
They were not certain which heads I now have. Anyone know a way I can find out short of removing them?

and Merry Christmas to all!

JW

So you got a 103 but lost the Timken bearing.  That's a not wholly unfair trade-off.  If you ever get worried about the bearing not handling the torque of either the original engine or whatever you might to do it later there is an intermediate option.  Short of splitting the cases again to machine for the Timken bearing there is that outer crank/bearing support from GP Designs.  I've used it with no ill effect as have most (but not all) who have.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »

So you got a 103 but lost the Timken bearing.  That's a not wholly unfair trade-off.  If you ever get worried about the bearing not handling the torque of either the original engine or whatever you might to do it later there is an intermediate option.  Short of splitting the cases again to machine for the Timken bearing there is that outer crank/bearing support from GP Designs.  I've used it with no ill effect as have most (but not all) who have.

No such luck. When the MoCo does a reman, they take it back to stock - 95" with 203 cams. Anything that was done to the motor before is tossed. So she's a stock 95". I would like to know if I got the 06 - later heads tho.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 11:36:48 AM »

No such luck. When the MoCo does a reman, they take it back to stock - 95" with 203 cams. Anything that was done to the motor before is tossed. So she's a stock 95". I would like to know if I got the 06 - later heads tho.

JW

Sounds like the bike got doubly (sic?  :nixweiss:) hosed.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »

Don

Found this (Tech Tip #57 - March 21, 2203) in the paperwork on my reman motor. I've attached the form but it's rather faded. May shed some light on the subject. I still don't know what year heads they put on her.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »

Thanks Jeff.  Will actually save that doc.  It is the kind of thing that could win a guy a bar bet sometime :drink: .

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.