Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: someone please explain....  (Read 5208 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
someone please explain....
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »

This one is bugging me....I broke down and bought a taller windshield for my SERG. I really liked the stock look of the shorter windshield but the buffeting was to much. I started with a 3/4 helmet and decided to go with a full face helmet to help with the noise. But still not good enough. I decided to put on a half helmet and give that a try. Here is the problem........the 1/2 helmet seemed to have less buffeting than the full. :nixweiss: Is it something to do with wind hitting the helmet. Not as bad with the 1/2 helmet. Bring on the ideas.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Re: someone please explain....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »

I just hate the full face because of the weight........this sounds like a good question for someone well versed in aerodynamics.........any engineers? 
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:57:14 AM »

How tall are you?  What is your inseam?

Now what does inseam have to do with this you ask.  If you were lets say 6'4" and had a 33" inseam vs a 36" inseam it creates a reference of the proportion of your body.  Two people both 6'4" could require a slightly different windshield due to upper body length.  Since there really isn't a good measurement for this inseam is used as an indicator.

I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam.  I ride my CVO Ultra with a 91/2" Clearview and I am good with a 1/2 or full face.  However, the way the wind flows with my full face the helmet is noisy if I ride with the face shield closed vs open.  There is no buffetting, just noise, the face shield open just adds a slight bit of streamlining to the way the air is flowing off the laminar lip of the Clearview windshield.

It is personal tuning that gets it right.  The faring starts it, the windshield picks it up, then how you sit on the MC is next.  How thick, how much does it raise you up.  Do you slouch, sit straight.  Then the shape of the helmet comes into play.  One full face may buffet, be noisy and another no buffetting or noise, all about shape & where the wind flow hits it.

As another comparison, my 06 CVO Ultra with a custom Corbin seat sits me higher that our 09 Ultra with a Mustang seat in relation to the top edge of the windshield.  Both MC's have the Clearview 91/2" recurve windshield.  On the 09 my full face helmet is quieter than on the 06 with the face shield closed.  I sit lower on the 09 thus the air flow is higher where it hits the helmet.

Hope this helps.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:34:50 AM »

THE SANDARD SEUC CVO  SCREEN WAS TOO SHORT SO I BOUGHT THE TALLEST HD SCREEN , WAY TOO HIGH. I HAVE CUT THIS SCREEN DOWN TWICE WITH A FINE TOOTH JIGSAW BLADE THEN SMOOTHED IT OFF WHILE FITTED ON THE BIKE USING THE OLD SCREEN AS A TEMPLATE, COVER THE NEW SCREEN WITH MASKING TAPE WHERE THE JIGSAW WILL RIDE OVER. DRAW THE CUTTING LINE AROUND THE TEMPLATE ON THE MASKING TAPE AND CUT. IT WORKED OUT FINE NOW I CAN SEE OVER THE SCREEN OR THROUGH AS I WISH YOU CAN`T TELL ITS BEEN CUT.
THIS SUITS ME FINE AND THE WIND JUST GLANCES THE TOP OF MY FULLFACE. MAY NOT SUIT YOU BUT LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IT`S WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. JMO SWAPPED SCREENS WHEN I BOUGHT THE 09
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

I actually find a full face more comfortable if I am going to be on the bike all day at highway speeds.  No helmet law in Fla so most of the time I do not wear one at all.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »

I personally feel that the cure for buffeting on the SERG is to add fairing lowers and a windshield that allows the rider to see over the top by about 1 inch. With this formula, I have no buffeting on my SERG and I ride with a 1/2 helmet unless it is raining. My only complaint is the heat generated by the engine with the lowers installed during the hot summer months can be uncomfortable. Adding vents in the fairing lowers should help reduce the heat felt by the rider.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »

That may have to be my next purchase. I like what Larry has done. Finding some on ebay for a decent price will be a challenge. I can feel alot of wind coming around the fairing.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »

you should check out the Ceebailey windshields. I put a 12" klock works on and found it flimsy and did not use the stock rubber molding which created a gap for bugs to collect in. I bought a 14" Ceebailey and love it! It looks 100 times better on the bike. They have a height explanation on the web site to help select the correct height for you. Good luck!  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/index.html

2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »

This one is the Klockworks   :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »

Dont know about the buffeting but the Ceebailey definatley looks better! IMO
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »

The only draft/wind comes upwards either side of the fuel tank,flies come in that way and sit on the fairing console until i stop.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »

You are right when it comes to the UC having less buffeting. That was my last bike. But the deed is done and the UC is gone. No looking back now, just forward. For me as a taller guy the SERG fit me much better than the UC. I am not looking for a battle of the best, just a way to make something better. :)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »

I ran all summer with a 12' KW and my lowers off and the buffetting was very bad,  it slapped my 1/2 helmet around like a boxer.  In Sept. I re installed the lowers and put my HD 14' (Stock) shield back on and if I was a smoker I could have had one on the road at 100 K/M (60 mph) so I am concidering the CeeBailey for the spring.  If you know anyone with the tall stock give it a try I think it will solve the buffeting.
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

The road glide is a great looking bike but we hardly see any in the UK unless one is imported personally i only know of one guy that owns one. Back to the UC my 08 would start to get a front end wiggle at around 95 mph but the 09 is real stable i was amazed at the difference.  Hope you enjoy your choice there are guys on this site with good advice.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:04:07 AM by cyril »

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »

I'm 6'3" w/ 34" i/s and I love the stock shield and will be leaving it on. I don't seem to have a problem with the buffeting. I always wear a full-face helmet, but will probably pick up a 1/2 helmet for quick trips next riding season.

We'll see how much of a difference adding the lowers make when I get Larry's on there.

As mentioned about, there are numerous personal variables, and beyond changing your sitting position, all of them cost money... sucks because what works for one person might not work for another, so unless you can find someone else's bike set up with the combonation you'd like to try, it is a crap shoot to spend the money and hope it solves your problem.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 24 queries.