Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Slip-ons or True Duals?  (Read 4004 times)

Shotgun

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Slip-ons or True Duals?
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:13:12 PM »

I plan on replacing my exaust with a Rinehart set up.  Which is best, "True Duals" or "Slip-ons" only?  I will be installing a SERT with this as well.

Thanks,
Shotgun

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Slip-ons or True Duals?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »

I plan on replacing my exaust with a Rinehart set up.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »

I plan on replacing my exaust with a Rinehart set up.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »

Fired00d,

Rinehart now makes slip-ons as well:  http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=0C3AC3DF-AA59-469E-BA77-E1F54BCC3DDC    

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »

Looks like a decent price for anyone looking for Rinehart True Duals - $630, free shipping, Eastern Performance in Maryland    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RINEHART-HARLEY-EXHAUST-TRUE-DUALS-TOURING-40-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35573QQitemZ4604143061QQrdZ1

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 02:55:07 PM »

I ordered my Rineharts from cyborg cylcle delivered for $627.00.  Good people to deal with.
http://www.cyborgcycles.com/cycsak.htm

2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 04:01:48 PM »

Fired00d,

Rinehart now makes slip-ons as well:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 05:15:25 PM »

Everybody has an opinion. That's what's so great about our "family". Two years ago I had to have Rinehart
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 05:35:23 PM »

ezrider, welcome to the site.  I agree with you on a lot of points. I too had Rineharts at one point, and also tried the so called quiet baffles, even tried packing to quieten them down a little, but eventually sold them. It wasn't just the sound, they never did "feel" just right to me. I replaced them with V&H duals, so I could use my choice of muffler.  So, now, here I sit with the same decision as you. New Bike coming, what to do?  I was extremely happy with the V&H duals.  As you mentioned, duals certainly look good, and with the right muffler, sound good also. And besides the cool looks, they are also cool, as in cool to the legs. I'm in TX where that's important.  So, my final choice is V&H duals w/ V&H classic slip ons. No biggie if I don't like the mufflers, I've been known to change mufflers more frequently than underwear.   ;D
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:15:07 PM »

This is a good and timely thread in connection with the SEU, since lots are taking delivery of their new CVOs and are facing the same decision.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 11:08:03 PM »

Hey ezrider4, welcome to the site, lots of good info here.  As for the Rhinehart/Freedom thing, they are both made by Bub, Freedom claims "technical" changes, which are probably the baffle and I know they have a silver vs. black cap on the end.  Other than that, they look to be identical.

Yeah HD engineers designed the stock setup (I guess), but they sure crack alot of x-over pipes, mine was on for about 6500 miles, and it's cracked, my '04 Ultra was on for maybe 2000 miles, and it was cracked also.

I like the sound of the True Duals, otherwise my left ear gets jealous.  :-* I put Bassani's on my '04 Ultra, loved the pipes, hated the heat shields, if they'd redesign the shields I'd probably buy em again.  Put the V&H on the SE, love em, easy to install and one piece shields all the way to the mufflers.

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »

I've been thinking quite a bit about the question facing so many of you - using slip-ons with the factory cross-overs or going with true-duals. Knowing the MoCo is a manufacturer in the business of making money and answering to stock holders... I would think they would carefully analyze every aspect of their manufacturing design and processes as well as protect their customers satisfaction with their product. I also work for a major manufacturer. I know our most expensive manufacturing operations are welding and assembly. So, if you were HD MoCo designing an engine/exhaust package, what would you do? Go with the least expensive manufacturing costs or opt for the optimal performance design. I submit that they've done their homework as all good engineers should (I also know they rely on independent design experts as a resource) and determined that for many reasons (combustion back pressure, maximum fuel utilization, optimal power, emissions, etc.) a cross-over design exhaust optimizes the performance of the V-Twin engine design. I'm sure they were under pressure from the bean counters to reduce costs but they've stood firm. A true-dual design requires far less welding and is certainly simpler to assemble all of which would result in reduced manufacturing costs. But, for some reason they've opted to retain the more costly cross-over design. Can we assume it's driven by knowing the advantages this design offers? If the true-dual design was so great don't you think HD would offer it as an aftermarket option? And now we as enthusiasts trust joe blow pipe bender or a recent graduate of the motorcycle institute to tell us what's best for our CVO. Come on guys, I rest my case.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 08:59:20 PM »

Hey ezrider4, I totally agree with you except for one thing that you omitted:  Nothing looks as cool on a Dresser as TrueDuals !  8-)  I rest my case!  Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

spydglide, I agree 100%. Looking cool is a major part of what we do. It's important to admit it rather than just casting blame on the MoCo for not supporting the true-dual fixation going around right now.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 09:14:19 PM »

I read somewhere that it has to do with meeting emmisions. One may also say that the Moco knows a true 2-1 is the best bet and two pipes is for style thus a crossover. Forget the dressers - what about the rest of the models?
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.