Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Is It Still a CVO Now It's Been Custom Painted  (Read 8907 times)

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
Is It Still a CVO Now It's Been Custom Painted
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »

I've just bit the bullet and commisioned a custom paint job on the yellow SEEG, but niggling me in the back of my mind "is it still a CVO" I guess I'll just have to wait on opinions from those who know. Whilst still retaining the basic colours and stripes of the Factory paint job, i've just filled in the big yellow spaces with things that mean something to me from my trip out to sturgis a few years ago, what do you reckon? :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Is It Still a CVO Now It's Been Custom Painted
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

If it started life as a CVO than it's a CVO in my book, HD might not feel that way but it's your bike.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »

It's not just the paint that makes the bike a "CVO."  Having said that:

:worthless:   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »

Here's a thread for you on a total CVO repaint.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=17818.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:03:17 PM »

Since I don't think making thousands of identical bikes qualifies as a true "custom" operation, you might actually wind up with a real "custom" CVO.

Unless you plan to sell the bike in the near term, don't sweat it.  These bikes aren't true customs, and they don't command the prices that a true collector's item would bring.  Do what you want, and enjoy the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:02 AM »

Thanks for the thread link TALON, never saw that one! The issue is never the future value as I will NEVER sell it, I suppose now I will have a unique CVO, I still cant beleive I've let somebody near my paintwork with a piece of scotchbrite, it's busting my gut just thinkin about it. The impetous came from a bit of a spill on the "passo de stelvio" (google that road, you have to see it to beleive it!) When it's done I will post pics, let's hope it's worth waiting for. :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »

If you still want to call it a cvo after the cvo paint scheme is gone, that's fine. But my minority opinion is that if it no longer looks like a cvo, then it is not a cvo.

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »

Well, I must agree with both opinions.  It was born a CVO, it will always be a CVO.  But, if it is not recognizable as a CVO, then maybe you lose a little bit of the recognition by those who would know the difference.  Of course I did not even know what a CVO was prior to buying one....  You wrote the check, do with it as you will.  I just wish you were not already into the paint job and you weren't in England.  I would have swapped you tins in a MINUTE!  :)  Personally I think you are crazy for messing up all that pretty Yellow paint, or Lello as my youngest boy says, but I have always had a soft spot for Lello bikes.  :)
Be sure to post pics when you are done, I am anxious to see.  BTW, that is one INCREDIBLE road!  I can see why you may have gotten a little out of shape.  Glad you are OK!

Cheers

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »

Since I don't think making thousands of identical bikes qualifies as a true "custom" operation, you might actually wind up with a real "custom" CVO.

Unless you plan to sell the bike in the near term, don't sweat it.  These bikes aren't true customs, and they don't command the prices that a true collector's item would bring.  Do what you want, and enjoy the bike.

Jerry

Agree with Jerry - A CVO is ALOT more than the paint scheme even though that is what we see first when we buy them. 

The motor (which most of us at least change A/C & pipes)  additional accessories that come stock (which most of us still add/replace) shocks & forks (again alot of change these too) and last but certainly no least  8) all that Chrome.  If a stock CVO only qualifies as a CVO then most of us don't have CVO's - we make 'em our own and adding memories to your paint seems like a Really good way to make YOUR bike YOUR own.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »

CVO's have a high performance engine, additional chrome and a custom paint job that is just like 1000 others. If you change the paint job it will no longer be easily recognized as a CVO, but you will most likely end up with a truly custom paint job that is better than the stock paint. I know that if I messed up my tins, I would consider a custom paint job especially if I didn't plan on selling it in the near future. As far as the title and the serial number, it will always be a CVO. Do what makes you happy and don't look back.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »

We have all modified our CVO bikes to our own taste, so why not the Paint, your taste in art work is sacred to you and might not appeal to any potential buyers, but as you stated its a keeper...........

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »

I have had similar conversations with friends about "special" factory corvettes.

specifically the '98 Pace Car. (I own a '98 Pace Car)
I have seen where people have removed the pace car decals and changed the wheels, and sometimes totally repainted the car a different color.
and what I say when I see that is..... it USED to be a '98 Pace Car! :'(
and if you were to take it to a dealer and try and trade it in, you would not get the value that the same vehicle with factory paint would get.

in my opinion, you are taking away one of the things that identifies it as a CVO, so therefore, while it "technically" may still be a CVO, it's lost it's reconigition as a CVO and it's "value" (whatever that may be).

so what I would say here is, it USED to be a CVO!......lol
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »

I'm also having some custom work done on my '05, but I'm having the paint reproduced EXACTLY.  To me, the '05 in YELLOW SUNRISE PEARL  is the hottest color Harley has put out yet.  I wanted to spruce up the rear & the bags, but I have to keep the paint scheme.  To me, it just wouldn't be a CVO without it.  Why buy one if you're going to change the paint anyway.  The paint scheme is DEFINATELY a big part of it's being a CVO for sure.  The rest is just chrome do-dads.  I'll be sure to include pics of the finished product for everyone to see.  She should be done in a couple of weeks (paint takes about 3-4 weeks)...

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

Here's a quick pic...

DABB

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spicy
    • CVO2: Waiting for a yellow Ultra
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

Any updates for us?
I am a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied with the best.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.