Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Any iPhone app "Must Haves?"  (Read 20713 times)

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
Re: Any iPhone app "Must Haves?"
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »

MotionX GPS... great tracking app... here's a screenshot.

CAP

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

The best iPhone app will be Verizon in 4 months  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »

This MotionX program is nice. 

MotionX GPS... great tracking app... here's a screenshot.

CAP

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »

Don ... Glad to see you got the iPhone.  Now I can send you irrelevant chit all the time ....

Some I use while traveling ..

Voice Memos:  Beats typing notes or reading a "to do" list.  Also records conversation when applicable.
Remote:  Hook up to your home network.
AccuWeather: International version
Dial Zero:  Shortcuts for recorded switchboards worldwide.
Currency:  Currency conversions all countries.
White Noise:  Plug in ear buds, turn on and eliminate the person next to you with having to slap 'em.
Yelp:  Restaurant and saloon locator with reviews and maps.
Skype:  US or International make your calls over WiFi .... no charges or time consumption.
Google:  Finding stuff worldwide.
Language Translators:  Your choice of countries
Easy WiFi:  Free from ATT .... auto login at mobile hotspots
vLingo:  Voice dialing ... especially good with phone in 1 hand, cheeseburger in the other.
Seismometer:  Use overseas to assure that it's a hangover and not an earthquake.
Sex Jokes:  Perfect for use when the little old ladies at the airport continue to read over your shoulder.

Just a few ..... got about 40 more if you need 'em.  One idea to consider would be a subscription to mac.com.  Gives you mucho gigs of "cloud space" for stuff you don't want on your phone as well as the ability to "nuke" your phone if it is lost or stolen from any computer.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »

Hey Rick - A friend brought this to my attention a few weeks back. Living here in the Great White North I haven't had an opportunity to give it a good workout ... yet. Let us know what you think!!!

Might have the cabin fever ... ready to ride for sure!!  :2vrolijk_21: Spring will be here soon though!! Lookin' forward to catching up with ya soon.

Your welcome Louis. Let us know how it works over there!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Howie

I tried Trapster !  Is wayyy cool. especially if others in your area have it in use.  :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

I have found this helpful as well ....  http://redlaser.com/

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »

I have found this helpful as well ....  http://redlaser.com/

That is cool.  Interesting little tool.  Just tried it on the dog.  No barcodes though.  So the dog just looked at me funny.

gtaboyz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Diamond Black Inferno Orange SESG

• CVO1: '04 SEEG Orange / Black
    • CVO2: '10 SESG Tequilla Sunrise
    • CVO3: '11 SESG Diamond Black / Inferno Orange
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

If you listen to or use XM/Sirius the app is great you can listen to it anywhere and plug it from the iphone into your aux port on your bike radio saving $500.00 for the XM Module  for the HK radio on your bike. The only drawback is that to get the best deal you need to already be an XM/Sirius customer, which I am for my caged vehicles. If you like music Shazam is a cool app thats free, if you here a song u like and not sure of the name or title you just hit the app let it hear a few notes and it will give u all the info. Trapster is another free app that gives u updates where the bears r.
So Far....120.5HP/120.5TQ....Screamin' Eagle Pro110 Upgrade, 10.5:1 High Compression Pistons, SE-259E Cams, Baisley Adjustable Pushrods, Baisley Heads, SE 58mm Throttle Body, SE High Flow Injectors, High Performance Clutch Spring, SE Pro Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 Exhaust w/ Left Side Falsie, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome 1.4KW Starter, HD Saddle Bag Lid Speakers w/ Rear Amp, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak, Custom Alligator Seat, Dakota Digital Hidden Antenna, Zumo 665, +++

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention Don,

You may catch this right away due to your phone comming with this feature but after upgrading my phone (I think it was @ ver 3) I found while playing the ipod while riding with the phone in the ram mount the songs would change randomly and it drove me nuts for about 3 hour of riding. I found the "shake to shuffle" feaure was set to on and this was the default after the upgrade, this is located in settings/ipod. It gives the user the abilty to change to the next song while listening to an album while using the ipod just by shaking the phone, but it will change songs while riding due to the vibration of the handlebars.....Roy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 01:38:18 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention Don,

You may catch this right away due to your phone comming with this feature but after upgrading my phone (I think it was @ ver 3) I found while playing the ipod while riding with the phone in the ram mount the songs would change randomly and it drove me nuts for about 3 hour of riding. I found the "shake to shuffle" feaure was set to on and this was the default after the upgrade, this is located in settings/ipod. It gives the user the abilty to change to the next song while listening to an album while using the ipod just by shaking the phone, but it will change songs while riding due to the vibration of the handlebars.....Roy

Haven't seen this yet Roy.  Must be off by default on this phone. 

This begs a question though.  Just because we are who we are and will, therefore, hang anything we like on the bikes doesn't always mean it's a good idea.  It's doubtful these phones are built with the vibration and shock protection in mind that a bike accessory would be designed with.  Also don't remember any of the mounts I've seen do anything to isolate from vibration. 

So how have these things held up for those that have given them some extended use?  Anyone experience failures they might have been concerned were duty related after long stretches on the bike?  Or do they take a licking and keep on ticking?

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 04:09:46 AM »

(...)
This begs a question though.  Just because we are who we are and will, therefore, hang anything we like on the bikes doesn't always mean it's a good idea.  It's doubtful these phones are built with the vibration and shock protection in mind that a bike accessory would be designed with.  Also don't remember any of the mounts I've seen do anything to isolate from vibration. 
(...)

Don, I would not be too concerned. The iPhone is all solid state, there are (with the exception of some sensors) no moving parts. Should take the rides with pride.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »

Haven't seen this yet Roy.  Must be off by default on this phone. 

So how have these things held up for those that have given them some extended use?  Anyone experience failures they might have been concerned were duty related after long stretches on the bike?  Or do they take a licking and keep on ticking?
FWIW Don ... I've been riding with mine for two years. Because I was as apprehensive as you are about rigid mounting choices I've elected to use mine in the glove box. Usually with something to absorb shock .... ie gloves or something  :nixweiss:

As Louis pointed out ... with no moving parts risk should be lessened. Just not to a degree I was comfortable with.  :nervous:   :huepfenlol2:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »

Started a thread last year asking if any riders had begun using the iPhone as their primary GPS. Got virtually no response. Maybe if I ask here. Any iPhone GPS users out there?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

Started a thread last year asking if any riders had begun using the iPhone as their primary GPS. Got virtually no response. Maybe if I ask here. Any iPhone GPS users out there?

I already know I wouldn't use it as the primary nav on the bike for anything more than relatively local travel.  To find food and fuel; that kind of thing.  Without considering how well it might or might not stand up to longer days of vibration I don't want to mess with even thinking about "oooh, is that rain up there?".

For regular nav use the Garmin will stay on the bars.  Screen is larger.  Buttons are bigger.  No questions of the 3G data feed.  The normal GPS unit is just a better tool for the job. 

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »

ibeer  or  ipint    is must have for beer lovers     

zippo (for smokers)       

iemoji       for these lil emotion charachters above
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.