DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
Re: Cams
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:05 AM »

Call it my ignorance if you will, but I was surprised that the Dyno report of my '11 FLHXSE2 CVO with Fullsac Headers, SERT, and 4" RH slip-ons showed that I was still missing the Century Club Benchmark for HP and TQ...so perhaps cams are the next mod to get over that hump.
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

Call it my ignorance if you will, but I was surprised that the Dyno report of my '11 FLHXSE2 CVO with Fullsac Headers, SERT, and 4" RH slip-ons showed that I was still missing the Century Club Benchmark for HP and TQ...so perhaps cams are the next mod to get over that hump.

That is a little low on the torque side from what has been posted here. I got 108 tq / 95 hp with X pipe, Fullsac 2" baffles, Ventilator, and TTS. Steve @ Fullsac said this was the usual result.  I'd drop him a call. Good tuner?

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »

What's the package price for the Fulsac kit?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »

What's the package price for the Fulsac kit?

X pipe, baffles, TTS tuner was around $900 - $950 best I can recall.

JW

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »

Thanks!

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »

Interesting comment from the lead tech at my dealer today.  I asked him about installing cams without any headwork and he said that it wouldn't make any noticable difference on the bike.  I was looking to get a little more torque out of the motor, now I'm a bit discouraged :-\
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

samule

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »

That 'tech' sounds like a dumbass...Way to many people have done cams w/o head work and got great results

Firefly

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »

Interesting comment from the lead tech at my dealer today.  I asked him about installing cams without any headwork and he said that it wouldn't make any noticable difference on the bike.  I was looking to get a little more torque out of the motor, now I'm a bit discouraged :-\

I would go see Shane @ Shanedrive's. His shop is on Water St. in Sauk City. I've been in talks with him in regards to some work on mine. He is VERY reasonable, and has a good handle on tuning. He assured me that installing cams, tuner, and exhaust would easily net 100 h.p.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »

Thanks Firefly, I've been using Will Smith @ Pokerville Ironworks and have been very happy.  I think I'll give your guy a call though and talk to him.  There's lots of good advise here and the set up that JCZ and H-D Dude have talked about sounds like a good choice. 

I see you've got a "Spiced Rum", did you get it @ Sauk?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

sherrmann4

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »

Badger Mike.

I am by no means an expert on heads or cams.  So, I worked out a plan with the service guy at the Appleton Harley store; they've done great work for me so far.

Had my heads sent to Automotive Machine & Supply out of Fort Worth, TX.  You can read up on the website exactly what they do for $600.  We selected the Woods TW7H cam; which you will find a lot of info here on. Both good and bad.  Waiting for warmer weather for the final tune.  I had the D&D Boss Fat Cat and race tuner installed last summer and had very good numbers before i had the heads ported and added the cam this winter.

Lastly, had my heads diamond cut by Diamond Heads.  Get the show cut.

Good luck.

Firefly

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

Thanks Firefly, I've been using Will Smith @ Pokerville Ironworks and have been very happy.  I think I'll give your guy a call though and talk to him.  There's lots of good advise here and the set up that JCZ and H-D Dude have talked about sounds like a good choice. 

I see you've got a "Spiced Rum", did you get it @ Sauk?
Yes, I did get it in Sauk. I went there to buy a black SG, and couldn't resist. I've heard good things from Pokerville as well.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »

Has anyone tried the S&S gear drive cams?  I've been told there is a significant difference between these and just dropping in different cams on a 110.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »

I'd start looking for someplace else to get my work done....cause he knows not from where he speaks.  My bike does not have any headwork (has never had the heads off!) and it pumps 106 hp and 111 tq.  and smooth, perfect arch on the power band.  It's the first dyno sheet posted in this thread....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44545.msg674990#msg674990
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JZ3

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE (Candy Concord)
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »

X2....followed JCZ's/Jim's lead on this with the Fueling 574 cams.  Fullsac x-pipe and 2.25 cores, Harley Supertuner. 109hp/109tq...NO HEADWORK! No doubt you can get more hp/tq through countless options...but pound for the penny you get the max performance improvement to this engine with the least amount of dollars. After this mod and improvement gains the next 15-20 hp/tq gains will cost you significantly more $$$ than the first 15-20(IMO).

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »

Any internal combustion engine will benefit from head work. I don't care if it's a lawn mower. If you are satisfied with cams only or that's all you can afford then good for you. Head work doesn't have to be expensive. $300 if you talk to the right person. I've had two sets done and for me I felt like that was the right call. Seems like a few people are making it sound like head work is a waste. Fair enough. On the other hand, tearing into an engine for the purposes of gaining more performance and then not going that little extra, seem like a waste to me.
 Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.