Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New LEDs On the Way!  (Read 2390 times)

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
New LEDs On the Way!
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »

Just ordered some front and rear LEDs for the ConV. I will have them on Monday, I will try and get some Photos if I can.

The front will have smoked lens and Moon Shinez LEDs and the rear will have smoked lens and Red LEDs. I have attached a link to them FYI.

Just scroll down and it will show what I am talking about.
http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_turn_signal_retro.htm

Dave

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: New LEDs On the Way!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »

Dave,

I find these very interesting and have looked at these more than once. I am back and forth on the LED's for the turn signals so I am anxious to hear how you fare with these. Did you order the Street Magic Slim Line Signal Stabilizer? If it is a single plug and play unit for the front and back and fits under the seat, it may push me over the edge. I am not sure about the white lights in front. Since it is not a focused beam the light will act as a flood and not have much throw as a driving light. More light is always good except in the case when it introduces glare which can obscure more than it illuminates. This would be the case especially in rain or fog. The same applies to the amber turn signals but they are not quite as bright as the whites. I have not read much on them other than they are really bright (for turn signals). So you are a pioneer with these and I may be right behind you based on your report. Post some pics when you have them installed.

Thanks,

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »

Mike;

I received the LEDs today, I will not install them at this time as the Load Equalizer (Slim Line) will not fit the bike. It is not Custom Dynamics fault they sent one for a Softail, however; HD uses the one off of a Dyna on this bike. I called and talked to Matt he was very helpful he figured out what plug I needed and had me send a photo to verify.

It was at the end of their work day he and the owner Dave double and triple checked everything and and said they would have someone call first thing in the morning to get me a Return Authorization # and a new part shipped out in the morning. They said just send the other one back with the shipping label provided after I get the new one, so it will be a few more days before I know how they look and work.

I will let you know....I have used their lights on several other bikes and it has always been top notch.

Dave

YPGuy

• 2016 CVO FLHXSE (Carbon Crystal)
    • OH

• CVO1: 2010 CVO FLSTSE (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (Black Diamond)
    • CVO3: 2016 CVO FLHXSE (Carbon Crystal)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »

Post up the part number and pictures once you know it will fit.

YPguy

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »

Well we are still working on trying to get the LEDs to work on the ConV. The Equalizer makes the Alarm system go crazy, Dave from Custom Dynamics has been working with me for days. In-fact he was still emailing me @ 12pm on Friday night and we started again on Saturday and worked on it until evening. All I can say is that kind of customer service is way above reproach.

Dave thinks he has it figured out now and will custom build a new unit on Monday and send it to me and we will go from there. He is also going to refund my purchase price for my time and hassle. I really cant say enough about the service I have received..... once this gets worked out I would highly recommend them.

Its funny he said several times how this bike is a different beast and that HD has made a lot of not so standard changes on it.  Don't we know it!

Dave

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

Dave,

Yep, welcome to the club. I still have to finish my baffle project but the weather finally broke and I have I have been getting some riding in while I can. Glad you are pioneering this one. As soon as it's worked out I think I'll have to give them a try.

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »

Dave,

Any update on the LED's?

Thanks,

Mike

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

Mike,

I just got them on tonight, they are incredibly bright. The only thing they cant work out on the bike is when the alarm is setting the front turn signal do not flash. This is because of the technology they use, on stock signals the running light is less than 100% and when you activate the turn it powers up to 100% to flash.

Custom Dynamics has the running lights on at 100% and when turning the light goes out for greater contrast when flashing. I have no problem with that as they are 100 times better than OEM. So unless you are worried about the front not flashing when the alarm is setting they will be a good upgrade. I will post some photos of the Amber vs Moonshinze bright white tomorrow.

Dave

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

Dave,

Does it still allow the front lights to flash when the alarm goes off? From your post it seems like it's just the front light arming flash that's impacted. I wonder why the rears still flash if it uses the same bulb?

Thanks,

Mike

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

CORRECTION!!!!!! I have the Custom Dynamics LED's and Signal Equalizer with smoked lenses front and rear. I went with red (gen200r1157) in rear and amber (gen200a1157e) in front and the Slim Line signal stabilizer xl (pic is red on their site but the one they sent is blue). When I installed the stabilizer the alarm would not stop resetting itself, so I called Custom Dynamics and explained the situation. Their tech had me cut the blue wire coming out of the stabilizer and run the wire from the module to the battery with a 3 amp fuse inline, and tape off the end going to the connector. Everything works perfect now, including the front flashing for the alarm setting. They are bright and I like how the fronts go from 100% power to 0% power for turn signal. Check them out here
http://customdynamics.com/harley_turn_signal_retro.htm

Sorry about the earlier mistake, I had it backwards!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:30:33 PM by ezpgh »

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:11:49 AM »

I have the Custom Dynamics LED's and Signal Equalizer with smoked lenses front and rear. I went with red (gen200r1157) in rear and amber (gen200a1157e) in front and the Slim Line signal stabilizer xl. When I installed the stabilizer the alarm would not stop resetting itself, so I called Custom Dynamics and explained the situation. Their tech had me cut the blue wire coming out of the stabilizer and run the end going to the plug directly to the battery and tape off the end going into the stabilizer. Everything works perfect now, including the front flashing for the alarm setting. They are bright and I like how the fronts go from 100% power to 0% power for turn signal. Check them out here
http://customdynamics.com/harley_turn_signal_retro.htm
I spoke with Custom Dynamics yesterday and they said cut the blue wire and hook up the wire from the stabilizer to the battery through a 3 amp fuse. It sounds like you hooked the other end up.  Is that correct or am I just confused? CD said you want to power the module directly or it can get confused.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »

I spoke with Custom Dynamics yesterday and they said cut the blue wire and hook up the wire from the stabilizer to the battery through a 3 amp fuse. It sounds like you hooked the other end up.  Is that correct or am I just confused? CD said you want to power the module directly or it can get confused.

You are correct! I just went and pulled my seat to look again. Definately the end going into the connector is taped off and the end to the module is now to the battery!!!!!! Sorry about the earlier mistake.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

I gave up on the LED's. My alarm light stayed on all the time, the fronts didn't flash and the signals flashed slowly then really fast. I got an RMA today and I'm sending them back. Dave at Custom Dynamics said I might need another stabilizer but I'm returning them anyway. Dave also said they're working on a new amber LED set that would flash with the alarm. The reason the reds do and the amber's don't is the amber's have a transistor driver that makes them bright and because there is no power to the transistors when the alarm sets, they don't flash. The reds don't need the transistor because they're bright enough with out it. They have been very helpful, but these newer bikes have a lot going on with all the electronics. I just don't want to mess with it anymore. maybe when they introduce the new amber LEDs I may try again.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

This has me wondering why my set-up works perfect. I think you should try another XL module, I bet the one they sent you is bad.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.