Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear end Lowering-2010 CVO Street Glide  (Read 9158 times)

seaguru

Rear end Lowering-2010 CVO Street Glide
« on: March 29, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »

OK guys.....read all thats been discussed about lowering the FLHXSE. Can I or Can't I lower the back end with Precision Shocks 11.5  inches or maybe a full inch.. I know the ride will change(rougher). I weigh 165 Lbs. and wife 150Lbs. Has someone already done it???? What are the results?

Will it damage any electrical wires under the fender? Will install a lowering spring on the front end from 1.5 inch to 2inches. next week.  Will also research changing the seat.
But again.... can I lower the back end 1 or 1.5 inches with the precision shocks.   :confused5:
Alex
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:42:24 PM by seaguru »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Rear end Lowering-2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »

OK guys.....read all thats been discussed about lowering the FLHXSE. Can I or Can't I lower the back end with Precision Shocks 11.5  inches or maybe a full inch.. I know the ride will change(rougher). I weigh 165 Lbs. and wife 150Lbs. Has someone already done it???? What are the results?

Will it damage any electrical wires under the fender? Will install a lowering spring on the front end from 1.5 inch to 2inches. next week.  Will also research changing the seat.
But again.... can I lower the back end 1 or 1.5 inches with the precision shocks.   :confused5:
Alex

Since the stock shocks are 12", going to 11.5" will only give you 1/2".  I asked this same question and was told not to do it. But there is someone on this forum who went with Progressive 11.5" and says all is fine. That may be true, but if you ride 2 up on a regular basis you may have to adjust those shocks very stiff so you will not bottom out.  I rarely ride 2 up so I am still thinking about doing this as well.

If you are looking for flat feet on the ground, I would look at changing the seat first.

FUNGOUL

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

11.5 progressive on mine made me flat footed waiting on my C&C seat if it lowers me more I'll try the stock shocks again

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »

Since the stock shocks are 12", going to 11.5" will only give you 1/2".  I asked this same question and was told not to do it. But there is someone on this forum who went with Progressive 11.5" and says all is fine. That may be true, but if you ride 2 up on a regular basis you may have to adjust those shocks very stiff so you will not bottom out.  I rarely ride 2 up so I am still thinking about doing this as well.

If you are looking for flat feet on the ground, I would look at changing the seat first.

:2vrolijk_21:    If the aim is to get your feet on the ground to better control the bike, the first things to look at are the seat and perhaps your choice of footwear.  There are boots with extra thick soles and heels that will help, and seats with a narrower nose that let you place your legs closer to the bike rather than bowed outward.  The last thing I would consider would be reducing the already limited travel of the suspension.  Not only will comfort suffer, you can also create safety problems if you cause parts to drag.  And while Progressive lists 11.5 inch shocks for all the 2010 FLH/FLT models, it would still be the purchaser's responsibility to verify proper tire to fender clearance.  Each bike can be slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances, so I would never assume just because someone else installed the 11.5 shocks without a problem that I could do the same without verifying.

Do not lower the front end more than the rear.  That will adversely affect handling and safety.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »

Jerry has given you good advice......the same as I'd suggest (that's why it's good. :huepfenlol2:).

I just wanted to add that you might think twice about lowering the best handling bike that Harley has ever produced.  I already drag the floor boards and I ride solo.  I couldn't imagine riding two up with a bike that's even 1/2" lower. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »

i have an 09 FLHX that I lowered 1" and sometimes with my wife on the back if we hit a large enough bump we bottom out. I imagine if this were to happen enough, or hard enough, it would blow out the rear tire or dent the fender. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam, you would have to be a bit shorter than me to "need" it lowered. If the real issue is backing it up, I would suggest either lifting weights or getting a reverse. After all you will spend much more time going forward and hitting bumps than walking it backwards.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

RDWEAVER

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »

I can't reccomend it because I tried it with the Progressive 11.5" shock bottomed out when riding two up. I also need to pull a trailer and can't imagine this would even work when riding 2 up. I had to preload so severely that the ride suffered. I didn't like it and went back to the stock shock and got me some taller boots.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »

I agree 100% with the guys telling you not to do it, the last one I lowered destroyed the ride and even the handling. If you are trying to get flat footed go with boots, you will be much better off.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »

11.5 progressive on mine made me flat footed waiting on my C&C seat if it lowers me more I'll try the stock shocks again

The C&C seemed to lower me a little bit, and pushed me forward also, all in all, I am much more comfortable than I was with the stock seat. 
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »

You can get a Corbin Classic Solo Close Reach and narrowed tongue with the Touring Pillion.  It sits lower than stock, narroer tongue and a hell of a lot more comfortable than stock. :2vrolijk_21:  Here's a pic of my wife's (without the pillion).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:01:08 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »

And a picture of mine (not a close reach, but the pillion is the same for both) showing the pillion attached.

West Coast GTG   

seaguru

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »

Thanks for the valuable info guy's. Will not be lowering the back end. Will research a Corbin solo seat with Pillion. Front end lowering springs will arrive next week will only lower 1 inch. Will let you know how it turns out & post a Pic.

Alex

47knuckle10cvo

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »

Seems this topic has died out. Have there been any new products (shocks, lowering kit, etc.) for the 2010-2011 Street Glide CVO? Also, as a long time Harley rider and past racer I would like to disagree with a few things. First lowering a bike by itself does not necessarily adversely affect handling, however lowering the front or rear by itself thus altering the geometry will change the handling characteristics, sometimes for the better some times for the worse. This is a fact, some older Harley’s would benefit from ride height and suspension changes. Having said that, my 2010 CVO Street glide handles ok, but no better that my stock 08 Street Glide did. The big Difference is stability at speed. The CVO is much improved. Every manufacture and most dealers and their mechanics will tell you not to mess with a stock ride height. But there are other good reasons as some in this blog have pointed out. Harley insists on running the wiring harness unprotected up the back fender. This in conjunction with lowering a Street Glide has been the reason for many visits to the local dealer after bottoming and shorting out the wires. A shock that has both shorter center to center had limited compression travel or more extreme progression would work also. I think Progressive is on to something with the 912 series, they just need a 12” center to center as an option to the 13”.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

H-D not only has a reach seat but now they have a super reach seat that will lower you even more. I just boought the reach seat and it helped a great deal.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »

I tried the 11.5" Progressive 440's and the ride was horrible......not to mention the loss of ground clearance.....sold them on EBAY after 2 weeks.......

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.