Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passing Lamp Switch Fix  (Read 1320 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Passing Lamp Switch Fix
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »

My passing lamps on my Springer are operated by a micro switch on my handlebars.  The switch turns the passing lamps on and off, although I run with them on all the time.  Switch broke and lamps are out.  Dealer tells me I need to pull the tank to get to the switch wires to replace.

1.   Can I simply cut the wires and splice to eliminate the switch?

2.  How big a deal is it to lift the tank?  There's a chrome bolt on the front that obviously needs to be removed.  If possible, I'd rather just to the splice.   

I note that when I turn on the high beams, the passing lamps automatically turn off.  Wouldn't think switch would affect that function.  Don't care on that count in any event, unless I'd pull too many amps, which I doubt.

Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Passing Lamp Switch Fix
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »

My passing lamps on my Springer are operated by a micro switch on my handlebars.  The switch turns the passing lamps on and off, although I run with them on all the time.  Switch broke and lamps are out.  Dealer tells me I need to pull the tank to get to the switch wires to replace.

1.   Can I simply cut the wires and splice to eliminate the switch?

2.  How big a deal is it to lift the tank?  There's a chrome bolt on the front that obviously needs to be removed.  If possible, I'd rather just to the splice.   

I note that when I turn on the high beams, the passing lamps automatically turn off.  Wouldn't think switch would affect that function.  Don't care on that count in any event, unless I'd pull too many amps, which I doubt.

Thanks.

The switch or lack of likely wouldn't effect whether the lights stayed on with your high beam headlights.  Just for FYI purposes, however, your state of residence might care.  Some have as part of required safetly or licensing inspections that auxiliary or other forward lamps go off when the high beams are on.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.