Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: National helmet law proposed  (Read 17462 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: National helmet law proposed
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »

I just farted.

Yah, but were you wearing an OSHA/FDA/EPA/DOT/DEA approved helmet?
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

Yah, but were you wearing an OSHA/FDA/EPA/DOT/DEA approved helmet?

No. Gear was to the Smell standard.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »

No. Gear was to the Smell standard.
(groan)......har . :D  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »

:orange: :mango: :bananarock: :pepper:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »

My wife and I 'choose' to wear full face helmets...but I don't want the government telling me I am 'required' to do so.  We have become a nation of rules...  there are some that just know better than us how to live our lives....and they will legislate it if we let them. 
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I've proposed this before, so here's an abridged version.  If a person decides they don't want to use mandated safety equipment, let's just add a waiver to the law that says all you have to do is post a bond of sufficient size to cover around the clock care for the rest of your life, and provide for your family, if you manage to bang your head on a curb and become a drooling imbecile.  That way the rest of society doesn't have to foot the bills for your "freedom".  I'm not sure how much all that would cost these days, and of course it would have to be tailored for each individual depending on current age, life expectancy, number of dependents, etc., but I'm guessing a minimum of 7 figures.  And sorry, but we don't take credit cards, that will be cash or hard assets only.

Jerry

And I bet you are on welfare living off the rewards of someone else.   Insurance is mandatory in every state.  If I choose not to wear a helmet that is strictly my choice.  You dont have to ride a motorcycle to experience injuries you describe.  Whats next?  Bonds to ensure you you can pay when you push just a little too hard and end up with a hemorrhoid?

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »

"Riding or driving is a privilege, not a right.  Lots of things can restrict that privilege.  And thank god.  There are lots of old farts and others of diminished capacity I want the government to be able to restrict road use from.  It protects my ass everyday."

Since when is it the Governments job to grant the citizens privileges?  I understand leagally it is a privilege but I disagree with that concept.  I am an American and should not be regulated  PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »

My wife and I 'choose' to wear full face helmets...but I don't want the government telling me I am 'required' to do so.  We have become a nation of rules...  there are some that just know better than us how to live our lives....and they will legislate it if we let them. 

Damn Straight.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2010, 01:52:26 AM »

If you choose to ride without a helmet or a non DOT one and you get hurt,(head injury) that's your choice. But don't expect anyone else to pick up your medical bill. You pay for it out of your pocket. Not insurance or the state. I'm tired of paying for people who don't take the proper precautions when they have the ability to make the right decision. Wake up people.      
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:17:17 AM by Fireguy »

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »

Question for all you pro helmet law guys who always cry medical cost. Do you happen to give your Buddies or families a hard time when over weight they eat a cheeseburger or chili fries. We all have buddies we ride with that may have 3 or 4 beers and ride home, how about them? Give them any crap? Maybe you too are guilty? Just wondering because helmet cost to us is merely a fraction of obesity or drunk driving just to name two. So is this helmet thing a personal pet peeve for you guys or are you truly full fledged tree huggers?
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »

:vrolijk_11:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »

Oh man, we all need to take a chill pill....I wear a helmet, mainly because head injuries are mostly fatal....don't like helmets, but I like my head!!!

napalm
napalm

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »

Question for all you pro helmet law guys who always cry medical cost. Do you happen to give your Buddies or families a hard time when over weight they eat a cheeseburger or chili fries. We all have buddies we ride with that may have 3 or 4 beers and ride home, how about them? Give them any crap? Maybe you too are guilty? Just wondering because helmet cost to us is merely a fraction of obesity or drunk driving just to name two. So is this helmet thing a personal pet peeve for you guys or are you truly full fledged tree huggers?

I submit that the need for a helmet should be evaluated through cost/benefit analysis.  If there is anything in the skull that is worth at least the cost of the helmet, then wear one.  If the skull doesn't contain much of value, then don't wear one.  Perhaps rather than pass laws requiring helmets, we should require proof of sufficient benefit to justify using up valuable resources before you are allowed to buy a helmet. 

Between you, me, and the fence post, I don't care if you wear a helmet or not, if you practice safe sex or not, if you drink yourself into oblivion or not, if you eat 10 Big Mac's a day or not, if you smoke 3 packs a day or not, etc.  As long as you don't expect me to take care of you, or pay to take care of you, or have to dodge your drunken azz on the highway, or have to give up my seat on an airplane so you can take up two seats, or in any other way be responsible for, or a victim of, your actions, then feel free to do whatever you want.  Remove your seatbelts from the car, disconnect the airbags, stand on the roof while your drunken buddy drives down the highway, stare down the barrel of a gun while pulling the trigger to make sure it isn't loaded, whatever.  As long as you take full responsibility, I really don't care.  We can't legislate intelligence or common sense, no matter how hard some legislators try.

BTW, I'm pro helmet, not necessarily pro helmet law.  But the facts are, without all the safety laws and regulations currently on the books, there would be tens of thousands of additional preventable deaths in this country every year, and probably hundreds of thousands of serious injuries.  Safety laws and regulations have had a huge impact on the lives, health, and well being of the average citizen in this country.  Intimating that anyone who supports such laws and regulations is some sort of "tree hugger", whatever that means, reflects a lot more on the one making that statement than it does on the supposed "tree huggers".  If you prefer to live the way they did in the wild west, feel free to choose one of the many countries in the world where the people in power don't give a rat's butt if you live or die.  They don't waste time with safety rules.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

Did not call anybody a tree hugger. Simply asked a question. Every time they mandate another law, rule, or whatever you want to call it we loose another civil liberty. Period. If you think big government is big now keep laying down.
By the way. I call anybody who tries to take away any of my civil liberties in an effort to make our country Shangri La and Teflon. A Tree hugger. Just IMHO
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »

I believe everyone has a right to do what they want "within the Laws of our country".
IF you want to ride without a helmet, I think that's your right! HOWEVER, IF you LIVE
then the state, or federal government should not have to take care of you, JUST the same
for those how wear helmets. NO SPECIAL treatments.............. I wear a helmet, because
it's my choice. IF anything makes (gives) me a chance to live life with my kids, or grand
kids, I'M taking it! I've seen numerous accidents where "IF" the person had a helmet on,
they would have survived. I've also seen people with NO other injuries, except head, DIE.
I love riding motorcycles, but with all the crazy people on the road.........."I'm thinking"!!!!!

Just my two cents.......BLESS ALL!
The "TAZMUN"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.