Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Question for you Trailer Pullers  (Read 12289 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Re: Question for you Trailer Pullers
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »

I did find this out from my dealer that someone came in for a repair on his bike( I think a chain tensioner) and was having in covered under warranty. An HD spokesman came out to ok the repair and found a hitch attached to the bike and denied the repair. Just some food for thought.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »

I did find this out from my dealer that someone came in for a repair on his bike( I think a chain tensioner) and was having in covered under warranty. An HD spokesman came out to ok the repair and found a hitch attached to the bike and denied the repair. Just some food for thought.

I understand your concern.  Each dealer is different towards a hitch. If I break down at home, I will take it off.

If I'm unfortunate enough to break down on the road-I am at the mercy of the dealer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:06 PM »

I've owned two Bushtecs and was happy with both.  If I were doing it again, it would be a Bushtec.

I didn't adjust the air everyday.  I would adjust it when I'd load the trailer for a trip......then just try to repack it

pretty much the same way each day.

It's amazing how much you can pack in a Bushtec and it still doesn't affect the bike that much.  The main thing is (same for pulling any trailer) it requres just a bit more stopping distance.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »

They're not supposed to deny a warranty repair unless the damage is directly related to the modification.  I pulled a Bushtec for four years (the dealership installed the hitch) and it was never an issue for warranty work.

If you've got a dealership that's denying warranty work because of a trailer hitch what they're really saying is they don't want your business.......it's time to go find another dealership. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

I've owned two Bushtecs and was happy with both.  If I were doing it again, it would be a Bushtec.

I didn't adjust the air everyday.  I would adjust it when I'd load the trailer for a trip......then just try to repack it

pretty much the same way each day.

It's amazing how much you can pack in a Bushtec and it still doesn't affect the bike that much.  The main thing is (same for pulling any trailer) it requres just a bit more stopping distance.

hehehe.... o.k. - o.k. ... uncle....  ::)

I spent some time today looking at the tubing that connects to the air shocks on my Bushtec...and I found a small leak at a fitting...and I fixed it.  Now I can probably say I don't need to add air each day also!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »

I have an older Bushtec and love it. They first came out with the Ultimate which is shorter and uses smaller width tires (2.50 v. 3.0) and slightly different suspension. I've run it with a blown shock (rare) and it still got me home ok...so I guess the air thing is no big deal. The only big disadvantage with Bushtec is their proprietary tires which are hard to find on the road so get one with a mounted spare and take along some extra tubes. You will forget its there most of the time, so enjoy whatever you get. If you want a laugh and see what the frame looks like, check this out.  

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22680.0

Doc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:14:59 PM by grandpadoc »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

hehehe.... o.k. - o.k. ... uncle....  ::)

I spent some time today looking at the tubing that connects to the air shocks on my Bushtec...and I found a small leak at a fitting...and I fixed it.  Now I can probably say I don't need to add air each day also!   :2vrolijk_21:
All right!  Glad you found the problem because you should not have to adjust it that often.  Seems like I always do have to add some air the first or second day out for some reason even though I check everything after I initially load it.  But after that I'm pretty much good to go with no further attention.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

I have an older Bushtec and love it. They first came out with the Ultimate which is shorter and uses smaller width tires (2.50 v. 3.0) and slightly different suspension. I've run it with a blown shock (rare) and it still got me home ok...so I guess the air thing is no big deal. The only big disadvantage with Bushtec is their proprietary tires which are hard to find on the road so get one with a mounted spare and take along some extra tubes. You will forget its there most of the time, so enjoy whatever you get. If you want a laugh and see what the frame looks like, check this out.  

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22680.0

Doc
Doc it is a big deal on mine - don't know about your 'older' model.  If you were completely without air then the wheels have a severe negative camber and you're just dragging the trailer because there is a lot of rolling resistance.  Met a fellow several years ago with that problem and turned out that he had a leak at a connection.  We just removed the tubing and re-inserted it and problem fixed.  Said he'd been dragging it for a couple days and his gas mileage was shot to heck and back.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »

Well the owners manual does specifically say not to pull a trailer and it can void the warranty.  Never had a problem thank goodness.  Once when I had to have mine inspected for an extended service engine repair the dealer pulled the hitch just in case.  Had a breakdown once on the road (bad voltage regulator) and the tech told me that H-D flags vin numbers that they catch with trailer hitches but he checked and mine was not flagged.  He did not care but I guess you cannot be too careful.  With that being said my local dealer became a stocking dealer for American Legend last year.  Go figure!

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

They're not supposed to deny a warranty repair unless the damage is directly related to the modification.  I pulled a Bushtec for four years (the dealership installed the hitch) and it was never an issue for warranty work.

If you've got a dealership that's denying warranty work because of a trailer hitch what they're really saying is they don't want your business.......it's time to go find another dealership. :2vrolijk_21:
He said it was an H-D spokesman.  I kind of figured it was a rep who came by to inspect his bike.  That happened to mine when I was having all the '110' problems.  Don't know if they called in the regional rep or if he just happened by when they were working on it.  Anyway they said he looked it over and I did have the hitch on it but nothing was said.  Luck of the draw it seems.

IBA member # 45520

Ultra2010

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

Gotta prove it's not for a flag mount!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HUGE legal issue there. Just pull your harness first.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:53:19 PM by Ultra2010 »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »

I pull a motorvation Engineering trailer that I bought on E bay, it pulls great and I never have to mess with air pressure.  I have had Bushtecs and others, but prefer one that I do not have to mess with.  It is all up to the individual, there are many great trailers out there, just make sure you don't get a leaf spring trailer, they tend to bounce.  Here it is on a previous E Glide

http://motorvation.com/trpic18.htm
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »

Another shot, small enough to be light but big enough for all your wifes needs.  Plus I have a huge cooler.  By the way N-Line is a killer looking trailer behind a Harley.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:14:11 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »

Doc it is a big deal on mine - don't know about your 'older' model.  If you were completely without air then the wheels have a severe negative camber and you're just dragging the trailer because there is a lot of rolling resistance.  Met a fellow several years ago with that problem and turned out that he had a leak at a connection.  We just removed the tubing and re-inserted it and problem fixed.  Said he'd been dragging it for a couple days and his gas mileage was shot to heck and back.

The tires took a beating too, but it still got me home ok. I really didn't notice anything different with the ride quality or gas mileage, but I did change out the worst tire to get me home. We put about 5K on it last summer and my wife is very happy she can take more stuff and I like the bike handling much better than a loaded rack and TP. The Bushtec hitch is the best I've seen, you have to point out the receiver to people for them to find it. We will be ging coast to coast with it this summer.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=48362.0
Doc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:21:19 PM by grandpadoc »

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »

Well I own two bushtec's now and just love them Soozie will have her own there so easy to load and pull you don't know that there back there.!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.