Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Leak '08 FLHRSE4 after Recall  (Read 3179 times)

athosnl

Oil Leak '08 FLHRSE4 after Recall
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:49:18 AM »

Hello,

Finally went out this weekend and did approx. 150 miles. I had the recall done this winter in my bike, altough I did not had any problems with leaking gaskets etc. Now i did 150 miles and noticed a oil on the base of the rear cilinder after 50 miles. Wiped it off, thought it might be some oile used when me reinstalling the rear cilinder at the recall operation. After 100 miles, same problem, wiped off again and after 150 again. Ironic, did not had any leak problems till 2500 miles, brought it in for the recall to protect the engine for the fact that it maybe will occur, and after the recall it started. The did changed all the gaskets etc, so there might be a problem there. Does anybody have a suggestion? Next to that, it is annoying, but is it dangerous for the engine, or just only irritating?

touareg

Re: Oil Leak '08 FLHRSE4 after Recall
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »

Same thing happend over here, had 14000 km without leaking but started right after recall.

Touareg

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »

I thought the oil leaks were coming from the head not the cyclinder base.
Over 12k miles on mine now, upgrade done around 5k, no issues. Only
problem since new was a FBW throttle sensor. (replaced under Warr)
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

Hoffy49

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

I have a 2008 SERK. What is the recall?

Mlpklr

• CVO1: 2008 105th anniversary Edition Screamin' Eagle Road King
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

Two recall's done on my 105th Annie SERK, compression release and cylinder base gaskets. Held off on the cylinder base gaskets since I wasn't having any problems, then started leaking from the rear cylinder head gasket. Took it in and found out they're replacing the head gaskets with a different design gasket when they do the cylinder base gasket recall. The recall is free within 2yrs as a "performance upgrade", head gasket started leaking right at the 2 year mark.....8,500 miles on it.

Also front tire went to hell at 8,400....dealer tells me they've had so many problems with the D407's that they're replacing them with the D408. Developed "buldging" in the center between the tread almost like a belt broke......like riding across a grated surface.

Supposed to get it back in 2 days, crossing my fingers it doesn't develop the same leaks others here have experienced. Hasn't leaked a drop till now.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »

It's not a "Recall", but a service program.  Harley will pay to replace certain parts (depending on model) on '07 and most '08 110's to reflect the upgraded parts they went to in production to supposedly fix the oil leaks, bad compression releases, etc.  There are two programs, one for the ElectraGlide models (CUSE) and one for the other models.  The CUSE gets new cylinder heads with different valve guides, the others do not get the heads.

Click on the attachment to expand to full size and then read for details.  Please note, the cutoff date is two years from the date of the bulletin, so you don't have much time.  July 28, 2010 is the cut-off unless H-D decides differently.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »

Here's the other bulletin for the CUSE:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

athosnl

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »

Bike has gone to the dealer. He removed the rear cilinder and noticed a little "bump" near the oil channel. Removed it and replaced everything with new gaskets. Rode home, 20 mls. Starts leaking again....
Before recall 2000mls no problem.
Gets me crazy...

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »

The only place mine is leaking is into the combustion chamber! I have no leaks outside but the thing is going through motor oil. It was smoking when the "enhancement" was done over a year ago. Mechanic said the rear cylinder was sucking oil. Anyway, took the thing to the dealer last week. Blown head gasket on the front cylinder. Hoping to get it back by Friday. Going to dragon/Maggie valley on the 15. Kind of works on your confidence while on the longer trips and this will be the second time that I’ve taken it out of the shop and rode to Maggie.
BTW: In our motors, where is the oil coming from when the head gasket goes? I thought if it blew into an oil passage the motor would be blowing all over the motor.
RETIRED! :fireman:

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »

That sucks!  Exactly why we decided not to take my wife's FLHRSE4 in for these upgrades.  She has 12,000 miles and no leaks or other issues...'knock on wood'!!  For now, it is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'!!   I bought my FLHRSE4 with 3000 miles on it, and the upgrades were actually done on it...so far no problems.  I would take yours back, and make them fix it and hope they don't dork it up.  I feel for you!
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.