Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC III maps for SE 103 Kit on TC88  (Read 1941 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
PC III maps for SE 103 Kit on TC88
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »

I have searched with little to no success here and elsewhere.

I just got a curve ball tossed to me.
I got a call from the service manager. He told me there is no maps available on the Powercomander web site, so he did the HD Download.

He's the one that suggested that I not go with the SERT to begin with, because, in his words, "No one around here knows how to tune the SERT, but there's guys everywhere that can work magic with the PCIII."
I must say that he brought up an issue that is a concern of mine!
So, I said go ahead and install the PCIII instead of the SERT.

Now, this, an HD Download!

So, I went to the Powercommander web site and although there aren't many maps for 103's, but I did find 4 maps for the 103 listed under TC88.

My 2003 Ultra is still at the shop. It just had the SE 103 Stage 1 Kit (#29842-03), HD Lifters (#18538-99B), SE Quick Install Pushrods w/Tubes (#17997-99A) and Rinehart Tru-Duals (#1800-106) w/ Preformance Baffles (#1860-0036)
AND a PCIII all installed.

What's your take on the HD Download?

Here's the 4 maps I found on the Powercommander web site for the SE 103.

Map 1 just looks to different to me, what's your take?
Map 4 is different, but closer, what's your take?

Does map 3 look close to what I have to you?
Does it sound as though it would be better than the HD Download?

Does map 2 look like it would be the best place to start to you?
Does it sound as though it would be better than the HD Download?

1) M807-123 103" Stroker Kit, Bassani True Dual headers & 505 mufflers, 103" ECU (32500-02), Andrews T37G cams, Screamin Eagle heads and Screamin Eagle air filter

2) M807-126 Screamin Eagle Road Glide 103", stock exhaust and Screamin Eagle air filter

3) M807-127 Screamin Eagle Road Glide 103", Vance & Hines Pro Pipe and Screamin Eagle air filter

4) M807-194 05 Model, CVO Screamin Eagle Road Glide 103", Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons, Arlen Ness air filter

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions

chappy
Ps 118:8

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: PC III maps for SE 103 Kit on TC88
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:11:06 PM »

chappy,

My take on your situation is don't waste money on what if downloads
Take your scooter to one of the Tuners who can work their magic with a Power Commander and Dyno
I am sure if you find a really good tuner you will be grinning from ear to ear

jeffj

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 08:33:08 PM »

Chappy;

What heads are you running? If they are the same as what comes on the CVO bikes the map from Freedom Cycles will get you pretty close as they are similar to the Bubs. Let me know and I'll email you my map. They can then use it as a base on the dyno to get you dialed in.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »

If the download that was done was the normal Stage I download it's actually not a bad deal.  Several of us have done prior to Power Commander tuning for one very specific reason; insurance.

The Power Commander tunes from whatever the baseline is.  So if the Stage I map is loaded that's where the Power Commander makes it's changes from.

The "stock" map will be very lean after you add pipes and air cleaner.  The Stage I map really isn't too bad.  Won't be perfect by any mean.  But it's much much better than the stock map.

So, if you've got a Power Commander and it fails out on the road someday which of the following would you rather have to do:

1) Take the 10 minutes it takes to remove the Power Commander and get running again, and then have a long ride home on the very very lean stock map possibly hurting things along the way.

or

2) Take the 10 minutes it take to remove the Power Commander and get running again, and then have a long ride home running on the Stage I map which will actually get you home just fine without having worry about a thing.

So it's not necessarily a bad thing to have the Stage I map under the Power Commander.  Is it absolutely necessary.  Well, no.  But it's not bad insurance either.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »

Thanks for your input guys.

Jeffj, Thanks!
I agree with your "what if Download" comment, but frankly I'm not sure what I have now, either.
I do plan to have a full dyno done, however, I also plan to put on at least 1000 miles before doing the Dyno.
My concern is if the HD Download will be to lean.
I had hoped the job would have been done before now, but Oh well.
I am leaving on the 23rd and taking the Ultra to Florida for a couple of weeks (bike week and the week before)
I'm not exactly overwhelmed with confidence with this resent development.

HD-Dude,
I did get all the norm CVO parts including the heads. I did change the lifters and pushrods and pipes and added the PCIII. Other than that I think the motors are about the same.
I will look into Freedom Cycles, thanks for the tip.

Twolanerider,
I need to go see or call the dealer tomorrow and ask, because I'm not even sure if the HD Download is the Stage 1 or some other HD Download. I must admit, the whole conversation caught me off guard. Your comments on what would I rather have is well taken. The answer is obvious.
Bare with my ignorance, do I understand this right?
The new HD Download is stored in the HD onboard computer and is communicated through the PCIII? But in it's present state the moter is taking orders straight from the download and not the PCIII?

Then later when I get the Dyno done and fine tune the bike, the motor will be getting the control orders from the PCIII which in reality is a rewrite that simply fools the bike into believing the new info is true.

Where as the SERT is a true rewrite adjustable fine tune and the control is sent straight from the SERT/adjustment fine tune.
Wow, I hope that made sense.

So, the bottom line is, if the HD Download was the stage 1, than I really won't harm anything to ride it until the Dyno at about 1000 mile?

Or did I miss the boat?

Thanks again Guys for you input and your patience,

ignorance is NOT bliss

chappy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 10:33:01 PM »

The new HD Download is stored in the HD onboard computer

Chappy, the whole "where and how" thing is actually pretty simple once you visualize the pieces.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:34:09 PM by twolanerider »

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:12 AM »

Thanks Twolanerider,

It's official: I don't need that little file, the little screwDriver, the match book cover and the foot log 12 ga red&black wire any more.
That movie called, "Everthing Needs a Point" with the main animated charectoe "ARROW" as in "Me and my Arrow".  Well, the truth is, not everthing has a point.

That helped me alot to understand a bit more. Do you think the best download/platform to feed the stock ECM should be the HD Download for the SE 103 CI stroker Stage 1. All that to say, would that be a good doanload to use as my base and/or back up.

So maybe, I got all woundup for nothing at all. Especially if this HD Download turns out to be the 103 stage 1.
Since I would know the difference, are there certain things that become very noticible if, say the HD Download isn't the stage 1 and is a stock 88 set-up. What then should I watch for?

First, tomorrow I'll call the shop. Then I'm calling Dynojet than  PCIII tuner about 50 miles from here. My hope is that I'll enjoy this time ahead in the warmth with a real confindance that I'm not harming my bike.

I just really find it hard to believe that a HD shop would not reccomend a SERT and instead recommend a PCIII and not even know how to properly install it at least close to where it belongs.

Any way, Twolanerider, thanks for your help.
I'll let you all know what is happening at least by tomorrow night.

Thanks to all of you again

your friend in Claremont NH
Live, Freeze and Die
chappy

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »

Hi guys,

All is good!
I just got off the phone with the HD Dealer.
The download that was installed was the HD 103 Race download, This was put in on top of the stage 1 download that was alread there.

The PCIII is not being installed period!

I feel much better now.

Thanks again for your input.

chappy

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.