Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: FLSTSE running hot - Help!  (Read 6930 times)

goldfar

Re: FLSTSE running hot - Help!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »

Okay, I have read many threads on this and it has just caused me to be more confused. I had Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2 Pipes put on a few weeks back. Now the bike runs hot. Only had the pipes put on, no tuner, download, etc. All I want is to have the bike run cool. What have you all, the ones who own a FLSTSE, done? Thanks in advance!

Kisscorky

Mine was running too hot as well, all I did was run down the street to see The Wizzard and now it runs so cool that I velcro drinking water bottles to the front cylinder to keep them cool for a long ride. :)

None of this comes free, last time I was there, he made me split a cord of firewood and clean the pool.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

Mine was running too hot as well, all I did was run down the street to see The Wizzard and now it runs so cool that I velcro drinking water bottles to the front cylinder to keep them cool for a long ride. :)

None of this comes free, last time I was there, he made me split a cord of firewood and clean the pool.

I made ya scrub the hot tub too.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »

I made ya scrub the hot tub too.

Hot tub eh? Sounds like just the thing after the 12 hour ride down from NY. You let Yankees in there?

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 04:40:44 PM »

Hot tub eh? Sounds like just the thing after the 12 hour ride down from NY. You let Yankees in there?

MikeV

At gun point, then we take a walk in the woods. Lots and lots of woods around these parts.   :orange:

Trent

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »

What will the temperature be when the FLSTSE is considered running hot?   :nixweiss:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »

What will the temperature be when the FLSTSE is considered running hot?   :nixweiss:

Trent... on a hot day running at slow speeds or stop and go your stock ConV could heat up over 300. Ours can run as cool as 190 in cold weather but 225 to 250 is average. We haven't seen any temp higher than 270 but we changed pipes and did the TTS tuning.

goldfar

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

I'll second that.  Since the Wiz did his tune, I haven't seen temp higher than 250 (measured with an analog thermometer in the oil tank).  We have had some low 90's temps here but I have not yet ran into serious stop and go traffic in high 90's temps yet.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Trent

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:45 PM »

Thank you so much. I put on almost 275 miles today and the outdoor temperature was 111°.  :-X The CVO temperature never did get above 250° and it cooled down to 195° pretty quick while I got gas.   

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »

Hi Guys;

Great info on the temps. I've been wanting to see what other FLSTSEs are reporting. For myself, with the change to 09 SE pipes, and the TMax w/ autotune, I run between 200 and 250, but on really hot days in slow traffic, seem to peak at around 270. Have not been in "beach traffic backups" yet. I'm also planing to install the HD external oil cooler next week. with the way it mounts on the frame, doesn't look like it will take anything away from the overall design of the bike.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »

I had RJ make me a set of his "no more fried thighs" mid frame deflectors for our bike. The quality is supurb and will be putting them on this weekend. Will take pics and post.

270 is hot but your oil is still OK at that temp. Good luck with the oil cooler, take some shots and post

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »

I'd like to see that oil cooler myself . .
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »

As an update, I talked on line to a few other HD guys that have added the HD external cooler. Most say that for $300 plus install, it's not worth the 10 deg or so diff in the temp. And in slow traffic without air moving over the fins, same issue. I know they have models for parade duty with fans, but so for I'm ok with the bike as is. We'll see how it go's thru the summer.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »

As an update, I talked on line to a few other HD guys that have added the HD external cooler. Most say that for $300 plus install, it's not worth the 10 deg or so diff in the temp. And in slow traffic without air moving over the fins, same issue. I know they have models for parade duty with fans, but so for I'm ok with the bike as is. We'll see how it go's thru the summer.

I just swapped the oil cooler that came with the bike for a Jagg, I'm doing a little "road test" today.......got my test gear and we'll see if it makes a difference on my bike.
Stay tuned!
 8)
HOGMIKE

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:16 PM »

An oil cooler will decrease your oil temp by 0 degrees in traffic. And while moving it is not needed. Save your money.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »

Since I started this thread my update is positive. Mr. Wizard recommended the TTS. I purchased it from Doc. I then went about setting it up on my laptop. I ran into some snags, but both Mr. Wizard and Doc were an email away and walked me through the trouble spots. Mr. Wizard emailed a map to work from which was a big help. After a few rides I sent my map to both of them to review. I have to say that Mr. Wizard and Doc emailed me back asap. Doc gave me a new map. I rode this past weekend, the tail of the dragon, and put 1000 miles on my bike. Outside tempertures were between 85 to 92 degrees. The bike stayed around 210-220 degrees on average. Cooled down quickly and in stop start traffic never went above 240-250 degrees. I am happy with the results. A big thanks to Mr. Wizard and Doc. I started this with no knowledge of what I was doing and now feel a I have learned alot.
Live To Win!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.